WDW Preparing for June 1st Reopening

The CDC recommendations for social distancing, etc. was for eight weeks. I think that eight week period ends sometime during the second week of May. A June 1 opening doesn't sound unreasonable at this point, but may be optimistic based upon the behavior of people and how the virus is spreading. Some states are slower than others when it comes to imposing restrictions.

We have reservations for the first week in May. Some points are from this UY, some are borrowed from next year. Our UY ends at the end of May. From what I understand about points, which isn't much, the points from next UY will be returned to that year. For this UY points, if we had wanted to bank them we would have had to do it in January. If we were to cancel at this point, I think this UY points would be banked, but we still would not be able to use them as everything will probably still be closed. I think our best bet is to wait and see what Disney and DVC do.

Yes, if you cancel now, the borrowed points will be returned, but your current UY points will still expire May 31st, since you are beyond banking window and Disney is not changing bankin* rules at this time,

A good indication that June 1st is the earliest they are considering is that the DVC website shows pretty much all rooms tones for April and May.

The only drawback of waiting to cancel is that DVCM could revoke the rule for putting borrowed points back at any time.

Just looked for availability for May: absolutely DVC is blocking new reservations until 6/1, bc the Poly bungalows (!) are unavailable. I had such a great reservation using my holding points starting 5/18, but looks like that's not happening. To add insult to injury, my Silver AP is blocked for the summer months, so even if the Parks open, I won't be there. Oh, and my 137 Holding points and 54 2018 points die on 8/1. Sorry, had to whine a bit. :)

Just looked for availability for May: absolutely DVC is blocking new reservations until 6/1, bc the Poly bungalows (!) are unavailable. I had such a great reservation using my holding points starting 5/18, but looks like that's not happening. To add insult to injury, my Silver AP is blocked for the summer months, so even if the Parks open, I won't be there. Oh, and my 137 Holding points and 54 2018 points die on 8/1. Sorry, had to whine a bit. :)

Whine away...hopefully its With wine too!

Whine away...hopefully its With wine too!
LOL! Thanks! I already told my DH one night in a CCV Cabin might be in our future. We stayed in one last December, so it's the best way I know to make lemonade out of the lemons in this situation.

Is anyone actually able to see availability? I get an error page every time I attempt to search.

Some of the rides will be up for recertification, and almost all of them will need to be run a bit before letting guests in.

With the layoff and DCP there are also questions about how many staff will return and how much ttraining may be required.

A June 1 reopening will extend our AP/TIW out to Dec 10. We've already rebooked our May trip to Sept. Had to upgrade to a Std 1 BR at SSR to get in during the 9/15 DHS Moonlight Magic, but DW really does love the 1-BR stays.

Last night we booked a cash room at POR for 12/6-10 to further optimize our AP/TIW. Last time I was able to check, there is little to no Studio DVC availability this time frame. Plus I'm not ready to borrow more points until I know for sure my AP will be extended. Oh 1st world problems.

When my group decided Friday to move our May trip to late October I got three nights in a 1 bedroom at VGF and one night in a 1 bedroom BW view BWV,

Yesterday, those rooms were gone! So. It was just perfect timing so I agree, the longer May visitors hold out who may want to travel before next January, the less chance they will have to book and use points
We ended up cancelling our May trip yesterday. I was able to grab a BWV 1br STD view for 5 nights in June. I was super stoked!!! Now, just keeping my fingers crossed that they open by June 1st! :)

Odd thing happened to me: Yesterday I was able to book one night at BLT for 5/31 (using points). However, the reservation didn't automatically update on the WDW website and it won't let me manually add it either. Guess I'll have to wait until later to try to make FP+ selections for that day. :)

Welp they still aren't saying what they will do for people who lose their points from cancellation - because my use year is August 1 there is no way to rebook my May vacation that is sure to be canceled. So I lose all 300 points for my current use year plus 60ish banked from last year, and keep only 15 points borrowed from next year. It was a 2 week vacation. The "offer" for free dining if I book a vacation is not affordable for 2 weeks... and driving to Florida for one week isn't viable - I lose 4 days driving.

I really hope they find some way to make another offer for those who lose points. I would suggest a deep discount on an AP or dining plans. Or a bank of points to use at other Disney hotels with inventory available (not DVC). These things would not be money losers and it would get us back to the parks and spending money. This setback means we are not likely to plan a trip for 18 months... fall 2021 at the earliest. Ugh.

Odd thing happened to me: Yesterday I was able to book one night at BLT for 5/31 (using points). However, the reservation didn't automatically update on the WDW website and it won't let me manually add it either. Guess I'll have to wait until later to try to make FP+ selections for that day. :)

They are not currently even selling tickets or cash stays until June 1st, so that is probably why it won’t let you add it to MDE. All magic band orders have also been suspended.

FP system is working weird too because it let me book 4 FPs and more than one in a tier last week before I canceled May trip. That’s why I knew something was up.

Does anyone think the pools at the resorts will be open this summer (even assuming arguendo that the resorts do open)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter