WDW vs. Aulani?

For those thinking WDW...... check out this thread, well the latest pages. interesting opinions and experiences :
https://www.disboards.com/threads/here-now-just-back-wdw-reopening-experiences.3807247/unread
Also keep looking at florida's covid numbers..... "bubbles" are hard to maintain in crowds.
Thank you! Honestly, the WDW forums overwhelm me! This was a great start! I am hearing so many conflicting stories about crowds. I think at this point, we just need a "Disney" break and time to get away and not think about real life and have fun. We have already told our kids that we may need to wait in long lines while we are there. I hope we can get what we want done in the reduced operating hours, but we will take what we get. Time away as a family is what we are looking forward to the most. Also looking forward to experiencing WDW together as a family. I've wanted to go since I was 8!

Thank you! Honestly, the WDW forums overwhelm me! This was a great start! I am hearing so many conflicting stories about crowds. I think at this point, we just need a "Disney" break and time to get away and not think about real life and have fun. We have already told our kids that we may need to wait in long lines while we are there. I hope we can get what we want done in the reduced operating hours, but we will take what we get. Time away as a family is what we are looking forward to the most. Also looking forward to experiencing WDW together as a family. I've wanted to go since I was 8!
Take it day by day. It took me so long to plan a trip because the boards scared me lol. But one good thing is that right now there is no Fastpass+, no 180 day dining reservations, and while there are dining options, they aren’t as vast.

Take it day by day. It took me so long to plan a trip because the boards scared me lol. But one good thing is that right now there is no Fastpass+, no 180 day dining reservations, and while there are dining options, they aren’t as vast.
Thank you! I've been researching food options tonight. And trying to wrap my head around the transportation there and how long it takes to get from one place to another. LOL.

So....we just booked WDW! Only hotel/tickets. Have until Nov. 6 to change our minds! Probably will book flights soon. Still holding out hope for DL. But kinda excited to do some more research on WDW.
Where did you decide on for a hotel? All of the hotel options make my head spin! At this point we may just pull the trigger soon on a December or January trip at WDW too. I keep wanting to wait for DL, but that feels like a losing battle.

Where did you decide on for a hotel? All of the hotel options make my head spin! At this point we may just pull the trigger soon on a December or January trip at WDW too. I keep wanting to wait for DL, but that feels like a losing battle.
We are feeling the same about DL. We have tried to remain positive this entire time, but this last week isn't giving us a whole lot of hope!

We picked Coronado Springs! The hotels really make our heads spin too! Given that we now have to add airfare on top of our hotel choice, Coronado Springs was a good compromise for us. The rooms look like they are a good size and recently remodeled. We were deciding between Pop Century, Coronado and Caribbean Beach Resort. Given the reduced hours of the parks, the Pop Century rooms looked like we would be a bit cramped, since we would be in the room more in the evening than usual. We were leaning towards the Caribbean Beach Resort, because it would give us two transportation options, bus and skyliner. But then the rooms looked a little tired and we saw how long the waits can get for the skyliner and decided to try Coranado.

We watched a lot of youtube videos. Here with the Ears has a ton of room tours for WDW that really helped us narrow it down.

Now we are trying to get a sense of transportation and food options too! (Which also makes my head spin! LOL)

We are feeling the same about DL. We have tried to remain positive this entire time, but this last week isn't giving us a whole lot of hope!

We picked Coronado Springs! The hotels really make our heads spin too! Given that we now have to add airfare on top of our hotel choice, Coronado Springs was a good compromise for us. The rooms look like they are a good size and recently remodeled. We were deciding between Pop Century, Coronado and Caribbean Beach Resort. Given the reduced hours of the parks, the Pop Century rooms looked like we would be a bit cramped, since we would be in the room more in the evening than usual. We were leaning towards the Caribbean Beach Resort, because it would give us two transportation options, bus and skyliner. But then the rooms looked a little tired and we saw how long the waits can get for the skyliner and decided to try Coranado.

We watched a lot of youtube videos. Here with the Ears has a ton of room tours for WDW that really helped us narrow it down.

Now we are trying to get a sense of transportation and food options too! (Which also makes my head spin! LOL)
That is my main contender too! The whole resort seems nice and the tower rooms in particular look amazing! I also like that you can book bed preferences with a mod. Since it's just DH and I we prefer a king bed. Oh and I also heard it's a very centrally located resort which makes for less transportation time.

I really love the look of Yacht Club, but the price is a bit much since we also have to factor in airfare and a longer stay. DH likes the idea of Fort Wilderness Cabins, but it seems SO remote (probably why he likes it LOL). And with that we'd be stuck with the queen and bunk beds we won't use.

Thanks for the tip on the YouTube channel. I'll have to check it out. I must say, it feels so good to be planning something again! :-)

That is my main contender too! The whole resort seems nice and the tower rooms in particular look amazing! I also like that you can book bed preferences with a mod. Since it's just DH and I we prefer a king bed. Oh and I also heard it's a very centrally located resort which makes for less transportation time.

I really love the look of Yacht Club, but the price is a bit much since we also have to factor in airfare and a longer stay. DH likes the idea of Fort Wilderness Cabins, but it seems SO remote (probably why he likes it LOL). And with that we'd be stuck with the queen and bunk beds we won't use.

Thanks for the tip on the YouTube channel. I'll have to check it out. I must say, it feels so good to be planning something again.
Tower rooms are awesome! The tower is centrally
Located at the resort so you’re close to the entrance, main desk, gift shop, bar, and restaurants.

Tower rooms are awesome! The tower is centrally
Located at the resort so you’re close to the entrance, main desk, gift shop, bar, and restaurants.
Sounds great! You've stayed there, right? I think I remember that from a mini trip report. If so, how was the bus situation with the tower rooms? Not sure what order the tower is in the number of stops.

Sounds great! You've stayed there, right? I think I remember that from a mini trip report. If so, how was the bus situation with the tower rooms? Not sure what order the tower is in the number of stops.
I would look at the superthread or resort boards about the buses. I’m not sure if buses are running at low capacity. We didn’t have any issues with the bus system during our trip. The only time a bus was semi-crowded was going to Epcot, but we got on. People have complained that while staying at the tower you may have to wait for multiple buses to go by before you can get on one. The Tower location is the last stop for the bus, except if you’re coming to/from DS it’s the first stop.

When we booked for the beginning of December, it wouldn't let me choose the tower rooms. They were unavailable. I don't think this resort is opening until Oct. 14, so maybe that is why. We just booked a standard view room. Which we are ok with. I feel like this resort is it's own little city! So spread out. I am guessing that not all of the building will be open with the limited capacity. We will see!

I agree, so nice to plan something again!

Thank you! I've been researching food options tonight. And trying to wrap my head around the transportation there and how long it takes to get from one place to another. LOL.

In my opinion, planning a WDW trip is a lot easier right now than it normally is, for a few reasons:

• no FP
  • no FP+ to schedule
  • no park hopping - traveling between parks is more difficult at WDW anyway
  • ADRs are 60 days in advance instead of 180 days.
So you have to decide which park on which day. Right now (through rest of the fall, I suspect), Epcot on weekends is pretty busy. So if possible, stick to Epcot on week days instead.

If possible, plan on 1 TS (table service) meal in a park each day. The Plaza at MK is a TS meal, not quick service like at DL. A TS meal in the park will give you all some time to rest for awhile without having to find a place to sit at QS locations.

QS restaurants are highly encouraging you to use Mobile Order. If you want to eat at a popular time of day, then submit your order in the morning a couple of hours before hand so you can pick the time you want. OR eat early (11 am) or later (after 1 pm).

I have some info on transportation, will add separate post about that in a sec.

Transportation:

Getting around WDW takes time right now. From what I've seen on the WDW side of the boards, if you're staying at a Skyliner hotel, then if you're going to HS or Epcot, you pretty much have to use the Skyliner. No bus.

All of the parks are opening their screening tents ~ 45 min before official park opening. Many people have reported getting into HS at 9:30 am (10 am official opening) and being able to go on 1 or more rides before 10 am.

I've also read that sometimes the lines in the morning to get on the Skyliner for HS or Epcot park opening can be long. Like, 90 min to 2 hr beforehand, get in line for the Skyliner.

For your HS day, your goal should be to be in the park before 10 am so you can try to get a boarding group for ROTR. If you want to better your odds of doing that, you could schedule a breakfast ADR at Ale & Compass at Yacht Club (take an Uber or Lyft to get there). Or do a breakfast ADR at Trattoria al Forno at Boardwalk. Then walk ~ 15-20 min from either of those resorts to the HS entrance.

For getting to MK or AK from Coronado Springs, it'll be bus transportation. Buses are not filled to capacity. Capacity is greatly reduced and they only let on so many parties/groups on each bus. You're directed to sit in a particular section (I think the bus driver gives you a number that your group sits in). So if you're a rope-dropper, the key is to be at the front of the bus line.

OR at MK, another option is to schedule a breakfast ADR at Contemporary Resort and take an Uber or Lyft to CR. Eat breakfast at Chef Mickey's ($25/person, no characters) and either walk over (15 min walk) or take the monorail (it starts stopping at MK ~ 30 min before opening, I think).

WDW is really affordable right now and you can get an offsite hotel for pretty cheap. Flights are cheap too. Cost us less to fly to WDW then it normally costs us to fly to LAX. Might be worth looking into before completely ruling it out.
My issue is just the time needed to enjoy it. Disneyland is a short flight or 8 hour drive, and I can really enjoy a long weekend even with travel. WDW I feel would require 2 full days for travel plus 4-5 just to even do it all!
I work in public schools, and taking time off just isn’t a great idea this year. Our jobs became so much more demanding, I wouldn’t want to over burden any coworkers in my absence , and who knows when we might need time off for illness.

My issue is just the time needed to enjoy it. Disneyland is a short flight or 8 hour drive, and I can really enjoy a long weekend even with travel. WDW I feel would require 2 full days for travel plus 4-5 just to even do it all!
I work in public schools, and taking time off just isn’t a great idea this year. Our jobs became so much more demanding, I wouldn’t want to over burden any coworkers in my absence , and who knows when we might need time off for illness.
When we went we did a red eye flight. It was rough, but the day we arrived was a park day. Not sure if I would do that again, but it helped cut down on travel time.

@VandVsmama Thank you!!!!!! Have you heard any issue with getting an uber/lyft? My husband read that they only allow 3 people right now and we are a family of four...

We are for sure rope drop people and want to maximize our park time as much as possible. We were thinking one meal in the parks and due to the earlier close times, maybe dinner at our resort or Disney Springs? Still have time to figure that out. We cannot book reservations yet for our dates, but we can soon. So trying to narrow that down!

Yes, I am overwhelmed but also a bit happy I don't have to deal with the FP booking and dining so far out! A little less stressful for sure.

We for sure want to try for a boarding pass since we never had an opportunity to ride ROTR at DL yet. We are actually planning on going to HS 2 days. Is there somewhere I can look to see the bus schedules? Like what time they start running and how often they stop at our resort? I haven't gotten that far yet, and I know a lot of the info is new or changed because of Covid.

Great ideas for the ADRs to be closer to the parks when they open. Info like that is exactly what I am looking for! Thank you!!

@VandVsmama Thank you!!!!!! Have you heard any issue with getting an uber/lyft? My husband read that they only allow 3 people right now and we are a family of four...

We are for sure rope drop people and want to maximize our park time as much as possible. We were thinking one meal in the parks and due to the earlier close times, maybe dinner at our resort or Disney Springs? Still have time to figure that out. We cannot book reservations yet for our dates, but we can soon. So trying to narrow that down!

Yes, I am overwhelmed but also a bit happy I don't have to deal with the FP booking and dining so far out! A little less stressful for sure.

We for sure want to try for a boarding pass since we never had an opportunity to ride ROTR at DL yet. We are actually planning on going to HS 2 days. Is there somewhere I can look to see the bus schedules? Like what time they start running and how often they stop at our resort? I haven't gotten that far yet, and I know a lot of the info is new or changed because of Covid.

Great ideas for the ADRs to be closer to the parks when they open. Info like that is exactly what I am looking for! Thank you!!

I'd recommend reading the last 10-20 pages of this thread to start off with in terms of getting an idea of what it's like right now at WDW.

In terms of when the busses start running, you should consider asking on the Transportation board. This part of the WDW site says that buses start going from resorts to the theme parks 45 min before park opening. And they stop running about an hour after the park closes.

BUT...
If I were you, I'd plan on getting to the bus stop way BEFORE 45 min before park opening. If you get to the bus stop 45 min beforehand, you're essentially 'late' because other people will be in line before you. From what I've read, they load about 6 groups of people on each bus.

Re: restrictions on max of 3 riders in a Lyft or Uber -
According to this on Lyft's website, if you have 4 riders, then you need to request a Lyft XL. A regular Lyft (the non-XL) currently only allows max of 3 riders.

For your 2 HS days, you could have breakfast at Ale & Compass one morning and at Trattoria al Forno on the other morning.

OR you could have breakfast at your resort and get an Uber or Lyft from the resort to HS. From what I've read on the "Here Now & Just Back" thread, the parking toll plaza opens ~ 9-9:15 am at HS. Uber & Lyft do have a place to drop off near the HS entrance. The route that Uber/Lyft will take goes through the toll plaza. If you get to the toll plaza before Disney has opened it up, they usually won't let you idle there in the car waiting. They make you circle around and get back in line. So you'll probably be in good shape if you plan on picking up the Uber/Lyft between 9-9:15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter