WDW world vet, new to Disneyland

petunia

DIS Veteran
We have been to WDW about 20 times, and have the opportunity to do Disneyland as a last minute offsite hotel which I believe is in walking distance. Is there a link/forum which I could start with regarding a quick 4 day stay/dining plans/fast passes info? There is currently a Canadian tix offer so we would likely get the 3 day base, as we are not hoppers. Thx!

We have been to WDW about 20 times, and have the opportunity to do Disneyland as a last minute offsite hotel which I believe is in walking distance. Is there a link/forum which I could start with regarding a quick 4 day stay/dining plans/fast passes info? There is currently a Canadian tix offer so we would likely get the 3 day base, as we are not hoppers. Thx!
You might want to reconsider the hopper for DLR. The parks are not even a 5 minute walk apart. They are like one big park! It’s so easy to hop and really adds flexibility to your park days. We don’t hop in WDW but always hop at DLR because it’s so easy.

Agree with the above, especially if you are considering using MaxPass instead of regular FP. DLR does not have FP+, but uses either legacy FP (free) or digital FP (called MP - $10 per person/per day). MP allows you to book FPs from either park, no matter where you are (literally -- once you activate by going through the gates, you can book FPs from your hotel!). You can book as many FPs per day as you can manage -- there are no limits other than time and schedule. Some people manage as many as 15-20 FPs per day. Park hopping helps make the most of this.
However, even if you decide that you'd still rather focus on one park at a time, you can still have a great trip. But it is worth considering that hopping at DLR is a totally different concept from hopping at WDW.

Yes on the park hopper for me as well. As others have mentioned, the parks are so close (2 minutes walk as opposed to at least a 5 minute drive at WDW). If one park seems a little crowded, check the line levels on the app for the other park, and if it seems better you can head over. Simple as that.

No need for dining plans at Disneyland. I’m not sure they even have one anymore. Very good counter service options.

I’ll echo everyone else. Get MaxPass and parkhoppers. Ask your WDW buddies who have been to DLR—-they’ll confirm!

I’m a fellow WDW vet, we go every year, however, this past August we did DL instead and loved it, it was fantastic. We thoroughly enjoyed it and understand why so many people adore the place. We fell in love with DL and immediately planned a return trip.

Having done both coasts here’s my humble insights:

1. MaxPass is so awesome, it’s worth every nickel.
2. Hopping is so simple and we felt it was worth the extra cost. However, if you’re on a first trip there’s so much to see and do that hopping is not a must do, it’s a luxury on a first trip. We really enjoyed it though and also wouldn’t go again without it.
3. Use a touring plan- I put together one using wait times and this board’s advice and we got a crazy amount of things done using the touring plan, way more than we do in a day at WDW.
4. Rope Drop is equally effective on both coasts, maybe more than at WDW.
5. You’ll have more time than at WDW. Everything is closer, transportation is easier, things just take less time.
6. However, this also means that...It will seem far more crowded, even when it isn’t. It’s more compact, walkways are narrower, there’s a lot more going on in a much smaller space, this isn’t bad, we loved the close proximity, it made touring less exhausting.
7. There’s a difference in the CMs- at WDW the CMs treat you like your trip is a once in a lifetime affair, at DL the CMs treat you like they’ll see you next week. It’s not better, not worse- just a different approach.
8. Use single rider line- we rode RSR 4 times in a row using it, we waited just 5 minutes each time.
9. Ralph’s is a grocery chain that delivers like Garden Grocer. We used Amazon as well.
10. You will be disoriented at times-familiar things are not in the same places. Study a map before you go.

Finally, You’re probably not just a WDW fan, you’re probably a Walt fan as well. It sounds corny, but we really felt closer to him and loved knowing that we were walking where he walked, enjoying the park that he built, and watched Lincoln just as Walt hoped we would.

Have a great trip!

PP is correct that there is no dining plan at DLR, so no need for vouchers. If you want to use a similar system for budgeting reasons, use Disney gift cards. Put your budgeted amount on gift cards and use those for TS and CS meals. That way you'll know how much you're spending per meal and how much you have left each day. And if you find that you need more money for food, add money to the gift cards, For kids who are old enough to handle a gift card and do simple math, put a set amount on a gift card for each kid. That is for snacks and impulse items. When the card hits zero, game over. No reloads. Absolutely amazing how smart kids can be when they have to use their own money for treats and things -- and how this cuts way back on any whining!

Last edited:
Another WDW vet here who has wholly defected to DLR :) Why? HUGE number of options for accommodations outside of the official resorts, MAXPASS is awesome, you can actually park hop with wild abandon, MAXPASS is awesome.

But really, you simply have to approach DLR in a different, more carefree way. Gone is the rigid planning (I'm looking at you FP+) and in it's place a more free form, spontaneous vacation. We were there just last week and the only "plan" I had was what park I was starting with each morning (we did the opposite of whatever park had a Magic Morning), after that we had no idea where we'd end up at closing time and it was fantastic.

HUGE number of options for accommodations outside of the official resorts

Any accommodation recommendations? We have only been to DL once and stayed at Paradise Pier because it was the only on-site hotel not booked. We loved DL but did not feel the same about Paradise Pier and would like to plan a return trip to DL for 2019. Are there any hotels within the same walking distance of the gates as Paradise Pier? That trip was our one and only to California and we did not venture much between the path from hotel to gates, so I am pretty clueless as far as location, safety, etc.

Pretty much every hotel on S. Harbor Blvd. is closer than Paradise Pier (and much cheaper). By staying "off-site" you will lose access to EMH at DCA. It's just a matter of cost vs. time and what it's worth to you.

Pretty much every hotel on S. Harbor Blvd. is closer than Paradise Pier (and much cheaper). By staying "off-site" you will lose access to EMH at DCA. It's just a matter of cost vs. time and what it's worth to you.

Just to expand on this, you get ONE EMH per 3 day (or more) tickets. We used ours on our third day (of our 4 day park ticket). We just went to the park that was not having the EMH and that strategy worked great. We stayed at Castle Inn and we liked it. It's nothing fancy, but it had everything we needed and was a 10 minute walk to the gates. We stayed at Paradise Pier as well on a prior trip, and while we liked it, it certainly wasn't worth the premium price and a big reason we won't be staying "on-site" anymore.

.......Having done both coasts here’s my humble insights:

10. You will be disoriented at times-familiar things are not in the same places. Study a map before you go.

It's like deja vu. Familiar but a but different, but in a good way.

They offer a guided tour with a Plaid called "A Walk In Walt's Disneyland Footsteps". Just did it last month with my 9yo DD and we both loved it. It takes about 3 1/2 hours and they go over the history, point out a number of things, we got front of the line at Alice in Wonderland and the Railroad , and we saw Great Moments With Mr Lincoln. The tour part ended with being able to go in Walt's apartment above the Firehouse. They also serve you a box lunch at the end from the Jolly Holiday Cafe. You also get a special button and pin that you only get for doing the tour. Best part is it's only $109pp!!!

Just to expand on this, you get ONE EMH per 3 day (or more) tickets. We used ours on our third day (of our 4 day park ticket). We just went to the park that was not having the EMH and that strategy worked great. We stayed at Castle Inn and we liked it. It's nothing fancy, but it had everything we needed and was a 10 minute walk to the gates. We stayed at Paradise Pier as well on a prior trip, and while we liked it, it certainly wasn't worth the premium price and a big reason we won't be staying "on-site" anymore.

Small correction: you get one MM with tickets 3 days or longer that are purchased in advance. MM is only good at DL. EMH occurs at each park on alternating days and it's only available to on-site guests.

Small correction: you get one MM with tickets 3 days or longer that are purchased in advance. MM is only good at DL. EMH occurs at each park on alternating days and it's only available to on-site guests.

Correct. And MM is only good in FL and TL. Tickets purchased at the ticket booths do not come with MM.

Last edited:
Any accommodation recommendations? We have only been to DL once and stayed at Paradise Pier because it was the only on-site hotel not booked. We loved DL but did not feel the same about Paradise Pier and would like to plan a return trip to DL for 2019. Are there any hotels within the same walking distance of the gates as Paradise Pier? That trip was our one and only to California and we did not venture much between the path from hotel to gates, so I am pretty clueless as far as location, safety, etc.

This thread will give you lots of good information to get you started in your hotel search: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/. Being off site at DLR is very different from being off site at WDW. The EMH/EE perk give to on site guests is great, but can be compensated off site with good planning and FP/MP. So there really isn't a huge benefit to being on site vs. off site. It mostly comes down to preference and budget. Most of the places recommended regularly on this board are safe, especially the ones that are walking distance to the parks. If a hotel is unsafe or has any kind of noteworthy problem, you'll read about it here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts