We are adopting!

No idea on funding but I certainly wish you well. As both an adoptee and birth-parent myself, I'm very positively disposed to the practice. I truly believe God's own hand delivered me to the family where I was meant to be and the same for the child I released. I hope you'll come back and update us on your progress. :flower3:

I don't have any advice for you on the money side. But I wish you luck. My two are both adopted.

I didn't see the deleted post either, but I'm guessing it took issue with the "unwanted child" comment. That one stuck me a little in the heart too, although I'm sure it wasn't intentional. My children were ALWAYS wanted. I wanted them, and I believe their birth mothers wanted them too. They were not planned pregancies, and their mothers were unable to raise them herself (for whatever reason), but they gave them the best start in lfe they could. "Unwanted child" sounds, well, like something to be shunned. Like I said, I don't think the PP said it to be cruel or anything, but I don't want my kids to be called "unwanted."

In terms of funding - there are lots of small things you can do that will save a few dollars here or there or earn a few dollars here or there (check out the budget board there are always threads like that), but short of someone throwing a major fundraiser for you (like a church) none of them will net you that much in the end. My personal advice is the part time job. It's hard to give up the time that working at target or delivering pizzas will cost you, but it will help out on the money side more than odd things here and there.

Also congrats - what an incredible and exciting time for you.

I don’t have any advice about the costs, but I just want to offer my congratulations. My late husband and I adopted a beautiful three month old baby boy from South Korea in 1987 and he is now 31years old. Adopting him was one of the best decisions of my life. What a joy it has been to be his mother.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

Congratulation! I also don't have any suggestions, but I think it's horrible that it costs so much for people to give an unwanted child a good home. Best wishes to you. I hope you find the help you need.

I prefer to think of myself as loved and wanted by two mothers - the one who loved me enough to give me a chance at better life and the one who gave me the better life ....

Last edited:
I’ve seen families do merchandise sales with t-shirts and such with cute slogans. Maybe create a low-key website with info about your family and why you wish to adopt and grow your family further with links to your fundraising merchandise.

Now, I'm wondering what I said that you decided not to reply to. :p

Many birth parents did want to keep their children. Often a decision to place a child with another family is made out of love and selflessness. My brother is adopted. I’m of course more sensitive with my words because of my experience, words like that have been very damaging to him.

As others have said, many children (including my own adopted child) were very much wanted by their birth families... But there are often insurmountable odds in the way to allow them to care for their children the way they know they need to be cared for.

For fundraising, there are lots of grants out there to help with costs. Depending on your religious beliefs, Show Hope may be a good option. If you attend church see if they have grants you can apply for. Lots of people design a shirt and sell them through friends/family as a fundraiser. Some locally owned restaurants will do a fundraiser night where 10% of all sales would go to you, then you advertise the heck out of it to try to get people to come. There is an organization that does interest free loans to adopting families, can't remember the name of it. I also think there's info on some of these options on Show Hope's website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!