We are doing Disney Restaurants at home this week... Could use a recipe..

So is the idea hard or soft water? Mineral water? We could source a similar water if we knew what it was?
When we did Aunt Liz’s chickfen we tried to fiolllw the recipe as much as possible including obscure ingredients such as dried milk and soy flour and it seemed to work.

By the way, flour and dried milk is one of those items which is currently very low on stock these days

So we are still in “Disney week” where we would have been on vacation. Reporting back:
50s Prime Time was a huge success. We made the pot roast one night and that was great. We made Aunt Liz’s chicken and that was awesome as well.
Cape May last night, for the buffet we made Mac and cheese. We got take out grocery store fried chicken. We made a cucumber tomatoe olive cheese salad, and we had New England Clam Chowder from the Progresso Clam. Of course our signature item was 7 lbs of crab legs along with some Cigar City Jai Alai beer.

Now to the disappointing part: Via Napoli: we were able to find 2 packages of 00 flour but last night we came to discover that all essential baking goods -flour, yeast are completely sold out from all stores - And cannot be found on Amazon either!! COVID has struck again. Yet undeterred again, we will simply order out Neopolitan a Pizza - we will make Via Napoli’s salads, as well has have their lemon drop martinis. Ah well we will order yeast through Amazon and make it at home on the back ordered date. I suppose another option is to contact our local friends - the ones that hoarded tissues to see if they hoarded yeast as well

If you have a Gordon Food Service nearby, they are still well stocked since their purchases from restaurants have decreased. We were able to get yeast and bread flour from them. We have a bread machine that we have used for years and found the key to baking good bread at home. We use coconut oil in the bread instead of butter. It tastes better and lasts for days. A light coating of coconut oil in the loaf pan makes the crust taste great and it is easier to remove. We are going to experiment with making hamburger buns next.

My favorites Disney recipes are the bread pudding and scalloped potatos from Ohana and the chocolate cream brûlée recipe from the French pavilion at the Food and Wine festival.

The quality of home made pizza is dependent upon the ingredients and technique. To get really good dough like Via Napoli, you need high gluten flour (like King Arthur or Gold Medal "Better for Bread"), hard water, and a pizza stone for your oven. Follow the directions in the recipe, including the punching down of the dough, and you'll end up with good crust. Above the crust is up to your taste. You want to get that pizza stone piping hot before you put in the pizza. My oven has a special pizza setting, which turns on the broiler and the lower heating element to get the stone up to temperature, and then reverts to 450 degrees after the pre-heat. Of course, for a truly authentic version, you could also build an outdoor bread oven (I recently saw a video on making a quick and dirty version with bricks and cinder blocks that could be easily disassembled when you tire of it) and fire it with wood or coal to about 800 degrees.

I agree with all of this ^ I experimented with a lot of pizza recipes and the best tips I can give are:
1. Crank your oven as hot as it can possibly go to where it's practically on fire
2. Use not one but two baking sheets if you don't have a pizza stone - you want one of the baking sheets to be already burning hot when you slide your pizza onto it (this makes the bottom of the dough crisp and not mushy). So prepare your pizza on one baking sheet with a lot of flour or oil while the other one preheats in your oven. When the baking sheet is as hot as a metal Florida park bench in the summer slide the pizza from the prepared baking sheet onto the molten lava baking sheet and enjoy crispy crust.
3. Pizza dough holds up well in the freezer and since pizza dough takes a lot of time and work to make in the first place don't be afraid to make a big batch and save the dough for later! Just let the dough thaw and the yeast will wake back up. All you have to do is knead a little more flour into the dough.

Sounds like y'all are having a good time cooking! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter