"We shall double our efforts" - July/Sept 2017 Dining Report - Update 9/26 Flying Fish (Complete)

.you had me at shrimp and grits. I haven't been there at the right time to go to this brunch yet but definitely on my Disney bucket list

Awesome brunch!!!!! We are finally trying it in November and I cannot wait. Though I think I"m gonna wanna order everything :-)

Looks like some great reviews of F&W, the CG brunch looks so delicious, the choice's you get along with ordering the entree or two is really a nice variety. This is on my list to try some day!

Your Brunch looked great. I really wanted to go to this, but had a bad experience the last time we went to dinner there so probably won't be happening for a while. The sushi looks really good and I'd probably have a full plate of those deviled eggs.

Brunch looks phenomenal! I have to check but think I have it booked for a trip next month. I love a mimosa. Great review! How are things at home?

.you had me at shrimp and grits. I haven't been there at the right time to go to this brunch yet but definitely on my Disney bucket list

Yeah - it was totally on my list for a while. We usually leave on Sundays to head back home so it was never in the cards to go but this weekend worked out perfectly for it!

Awesome brunch!!!!! We are finally trying it in November and I cannot wait. Though I think I"m gonna wanna order everything :-)

Yay for finally getting to try it! All the food sounded so good - can't wait to see how much you all enjoy it! Is this after your husband's race? He may be totally joining on eating everything then!

Looks like some great reviews of F&W, the CG brunch looks so delicious, the choice's you get along with ordering the entree or two is really a nice variety. This is on my list to try some day!

The variety was pretty good. I think anyone could find something to enjoy there! I'm also glad the entrees weren't huge so it helped avoid the overly stuffed feeling!

Your Brunch looked great. I really wanted to go to this, but had a bad experience the last time we went to dinner there so probably won't be happening for a while. The sushi looks really good and I'd probably have a full plate of those deviled eggs.

I get that. When California reopened after the remodel a few years ago - we had 1 really bad and 1 eh experience. It took a while until we finally went back. Luckily, for us, they seemed to fixed their service issues. Brunch is a completely different set up and experience than dinner though. My mother had a few of the deviled eggs and was very happy with them.

Brunch looks phenomenal! I have to check but think I have it booked for a trip next month. I love a mimosa. Great review! How are things at home?

Yay for finally having it booked!

Things at home are finally getting back to normal. We have food in the fridge again. The house is mostly organized (still more to do) The debris is all at the right of way awaiting to be picked up. My backyard is no longer flooded. I caught up on all our television we missed to! Each day is getting a little bit better. Some places are still closed due to hurricane damage and you see buildings destroyed in places around town. Not sure if they will ever reopen some of them though.

Oh, that brunch. That is at the top of my WDW bucket list.

Hope you get to enjoy it one day! It truly is awesome.

Flying Fish

After brunch, we headed back to Magic Kingdom but didn’t last long as the park was grossly overcrowded and thus unenjoyable. Even Philharmagic had a horrible wait! Once our FP+ were done - we left. Back at the hotel - I had reached the point where I needed some alone time. I love my mother but being her main support person for the last 9 months, it’s rough and I reached my limit. I put on my bathing suit and headed to Stormalong Bay for relaxation. It was a wonderful 90 minutes to myself! I came back to the room though and frustration rose again because of something and it was gone. Oh well….

We headed over to Flying Fish around opening time as that is what we had our ADR for. We were seated with the most interactive, funny waiter of the trip. He had a good sense of self and embraced being eccentric to the fullest. Some comments were made while we ordered drinks. I went for an Old Fashioned as I like my liquor strong. My mother had a glass of sparkling wine.

zWOtVWd.jpg

Old Fashioned

I’m a creature of habit when I really love a dish. I don’t want to not get it even if other options sound just a good. I did debate on trying the shrimp dish or a salad but being a meat lover won out and I had the pork belly. The pork belly is cooked to perfection. It literally melts in your mouth. My plate was totally clean by the end of my enjoyment. While I was eating this, my mother had the mussels. She had no problem finishing those either!

OmysHGg.jpg

Kurobuta Pork Belly - Shank Croquette, Royal Gala Apple Slaw, Bing Cherry Gastrique

I also debated against a couple of the various entrees. My mother kinda wanted the wagyu striploin but knew she couldn’t eat all of it. At that point, I decided to just go for it and she could steal some of my dish. This allowed her to order the soup off the appetizer section for her main dish. The steak was well executed. I almost cried though when I heard a table near me order it medium well! Wagyu should never be cooked that much! My steak was cooked rare as requested. It was so tender! I could care less about the sides as the meat was the star! My mother enjoyed the slices she had as well (she took the ends since they were slightly more cooked)

cpvCaEp.jpg

Wagyu Strip loin

We skipped dessert as we were full! After a trip to the store and a drink at the bar (which I refused to take a photo of because it made me angry) Abracadabar switched their cotton candy cocktail to now use syrup rather than real cotton candy and it just tasted gross. - we headed back to the hotel.

And thus ends this dining report as I didn’t eat breakfast the next morning! I’ll be back with another one in November as my husband and I return for our Wine & Dine trip. I’m not posting a report for Italy since I’m going with Tauck Small Groups rather than Adventures by Disney (8 more days!) If you are a facebook friend - you’ll get to see the photos posted there! I will also post some photos on instagram.​

So glad to hear things are slowly getting better and back to normal at home!!

I really love Flying Fish! I think it is beautiful post re-design and have only had fantastic service - especially at the bar. It doesn't get a lot of love here on the boards, though. I'm not sure why. They did get rid of my favorite appetizer - an ahi tuna with watermelon & avocado - but am sure I will find a new favorite. The pork belly, perhaps!

No cotton candy? Isn't that the magic?

No Italy trip report/dining reviews?!?! I'm going to need to find you on instagram and/or FB! Have a great time!!!!

Flying Fish

After brunch, we headed back to Magic Kingdom but didn’t last long as the park was grossly overcrowded and thus unenjoyable. Even Philharmagic had a horrible wait! Once our FP+ were done - we left. Back at the hotel - I had reached the point where I needed some alone time. I love my mother but being her main support person for the last 9 months, it’s rough and I reached my limit. I put on my bathing suit and headed to Stormalong Bay for relaxation. It was a wonderful 90 minutes to myself! I came back to the room though and frustration rose again because of something and it was gone. Oh well….

I know the feeling!

I enjoy the appetizers and entrees at FF but I no longer care for the desserts. This is pretty much across the board at most Disney restaurants. They don't seem to spend the attention on dessert. In the case of FF this is a real shame because before the renovation they had some of the best dessert selections. Personally, I hate the deconstructed dessert trend where you get a plate with little glops of stuff. Glad you had a good time!

Oh you have me so excited about the California Grill Brunch, I booked it for after the half marathon but wasn't sure if it would be worth it, but if the mimosas are bottomless then I'm sold, and the food looks so yummy!

It's great to see options from the Flying Fish that isn't fish. I had had a reservation there that I ended up cancelling because I was worried about ordering something that wasn't seafood. Great dining report! Thanks for sharing :)

ay for finally getting to try it! All the food sounded so good - can't wait to see how much you all enjoy it! Is this after your husband's race? He may be totally joining on eating everything then!

Yep we have a reservation for right after the half marathon. Hopefully he isn't up for it. Are you all going that day too?

Your flying fish steak looks and sounds devine. I've never tried wagyu but am dying to. But blasphemy that someone would order it anything over medium rare. What a waste of the steak.

Flying fish was one of our favorites pre renovation, but it just doesn't get me excited since they redid the menu. I think the entree options are way too limited and they definitely do not rotate them enough. the menu is basically the same as it was a year ago and I am most definitely a creature of change :-)

So happy you have power back... the longest we went was 9 days after an ice storm. Luckily we have a generator the powers some of the house. Your brunch at California Grill looks devine!

So glad to hear things are slowly getting better and back to normal at home!!

I really love Flying Fish! I think it is beautiful post re-design and have only had fantastic service - especially at the bar. It doesn't get a lot of love here on the boards, though. I'm not sure why. They did get rid of my favorite appetizer - an ahi tuna with watermelon & avocado - but am sure I will find a new favorite. The pork belly, perhaps!

No cotton candy? Isn't that the magic?

No Italy trip report/dining reviews?!?! I'm going to need to find you on instagram and/or FB! Have a great time!!!!

I remember there being a handful of bad reviews (and someone made a huge deal out of bread) a while ago that could have killed the favoritism. I love Flying Fish! It's probably my favorite Signature restaurant now along with Citricos. They got rid of some of the dishes I loved as well (potato snapper!) but at least there are more options that work out! Can't always have the same dish for 20 years.

The cotton candy was the magic! I was so disappointed. Probably not going back to that bar anytime soon as they are taking away the 'fun' of it.

Yeah - no Italy trip report here. Feel free to find me on instagram (swflmeli) or FB (that I won't post my real name here for - I can PM if you want) I'm so excited! 1 more week! I have us now booked at a 2 Michelin Star restaurant in Capri! I need to figure out where to eat in Rome during our 1 free dinner there. The 3 Michelin Star is booked so I may just go for another 1 or 2 star place. That is my goal for this evening to research that.

I know the feeling!

I enjoy the appetizers and entrees at FF but I no longer care for the desserts. This is pretty much across the board at most Disney restaurants. They don't seem to spend the attention on dessert. In the case of FF this is a real shame because before the renovation they had some of the best dessert selections. Personally, I hate the deconstructed dessert trend where you get a plate with little glops of stuff. Glad you had a good time!

I've noticed over the years - we've ordered less and less desserts. I rather a cocktail over dessert or I rather real food. A lot of the creativity seems to have left among the pastry chefs or they are constrained by whatever ingredients Disney allows them to order (since you know they try to bulk buy stuff across the restaurants) I miss their popcorn dessert though! It was so tasty and cute!

Sounds like a yummy trip! Thanks for posting!

Thank you for reading along!

I always enjoy reading your trip reports! Thank you for sharing.

:hug: Happy to have you reading along!

Oh you have me so excited about the California Grill Brunch, I booked it for after the half marathon but wasn't sure if it would be worth it, but if the mimosas are bottomless then I'm sold, and the food looks so yummy!

Oh - that will be a great option at the half marathon! Great food to refuel the body and all the mimosas you can drink! Just make sure you keep up with the water so you don't get drunk too quickly ;)

It's great to see options from the Flying Fish that isn't fish. I had had a reservation there that I ended up cancelling because I was worried about ordering something that wasn't seafood. Great dining report! Thanks for sharing :)

Aww...Flying Fish has always been great even when you don't want seafood. I did debate between a couple options as I do love some great fish dishes but glad I went with the steak. Hope you get to try it one day!

Yep we have a reservation for right after the half marathon. Hopefully he isn't up for it. Are you all going that day too?

Your flying fish steak looks and sounds devine. I've never tried wagyu but am dying to. But blasphemy that someone would order it anything over medium rare. What a waste of the steak.

Flying fish was one of our favorites pre renovation, but it just doesn't get me excited since they redid the menu. I think the entree options are way too limited and they definitely do not rotate them enough. the menu is basically the same as it was a year ago and I am most definitely a creature of change :-)

We are not going to Brunch that day. My husband wanted Le Cellier after the half marathon. As he's the one running it - he gets to pick. He wants to gorge on the poutine and steak and Unibroue beer. I'm not one to judge on that!

I think overall most places have rather limited menus nowadays. Jiko seems to do well on rotating their menu but a lot of the others kinda stick to the same 6 to 8 entrees with maybe 2 that change out or sides that change based on the season. I need to pick our reservations for Princess Weekend - I should probably look at where we are going in November and January and avoid those for Princess. We're at AKL for April for Dark Side so I know we'll get Sanaa/Jiko then!

So happy you have power back... the longest we went was 9 days after an ice storm. Luckily we have a generator the powers some of the house. Your brunch at California Grill looks devine!

I'm so happy to have power back too! While no power in the cold sucks - at least you can pile on the clothes and the blankets! In the heat - there is only so much you can take off. I'm sure I was a sight to see laying on the tile floor with Dr. Cool towels on me! There are still people around here with no power after 18 days...I feel for them! We are going to look at getting a permanent generator installed next year. We aren't traveling much next year outside of Walt Disney World so we can do house stuff. Need to be adults sometimes!

That brunch was awesome! Can't wait to go back and try again!

Just followed you on instagram. I looked up the restaurant in Capri when you posted the name over on another thread. Oh. My. Goodness. It looks amazing. Beyond amazing. Out of a movie! Have a fantastic trip!!!

Well I finally get caught up on reading over here and you're all done! I hope that things are slowly getting back to normal, that you have power back and have been able to clean up some from the storm.

All your special events sounded great! I'm looking forward to the next round of updates!

Just followed you on instagram. I looked up the restaurant in Capri when you posted the name over on another thread. Oh. My. Goodness. It looks amazing. Beyond amazing. Out of a movie! Have a fantastic trip!!!

Yay!

I am so excited about L'Olivio! The reviews and photos look amazing. The price doesn't seem too horrible considering what it is.

I'm debating between the following for our free night in Rome. My husband hasn't responded yet on which he wants. I need to make reservations soon so I guess if he doesn't say something - I'll pick.

http://www.hotelhasslerroma.com/en/restaurants-bars/imago/menu-and-wine-list

https://www.dorchestercollection.com/en/rome/hotel-eden/restaurants-bar/la-terrazza/

http://www.robertonaldicollection.com/eng/ristorante_mirabelle/restaurant_speciality_gourmet.htm

http://www.ghvv.it/magnolia/

Well I finally get caught up on reading over here and you're all done! I hope that things are slowly getting back to normal, that you have power back and have been able to clean up some from the storm.

All your special events sounded great! I'm looking forward to the next round of updates!

Yup! All done until November! Things are getting back to normal - debris is everywhere still but I think that is going to take another month or two for the city to pick it all up. Our house is getting back in order - I should have it finished this weekend as I get ready for Italy packing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter