We took the kids to WDW! - All done, Now Bonus features! Festival of Holidays 2/23

So I’ve been wanting to post this for some time, but things got away from me!

Sooooo disappointed with you Alison.
I've been waiting and waiting for this update you know.

Sheesh.

If you remember all the way back to last August

Last August? I can't remember yesterday!

Pretty!

We were there for a presentation celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Disney’s Recording Label.

Oh, cool!

Plus we got a nice batch of breakfast pastries.

mmmm.... pastries.

I was pretty happy with all this, but then they served us this!

Oh.... my.... And the Hollandaise sauce looks good too!

He’s a Grammy®-Award winning music producer, and Disney music fans know his work well. He’s been responsible for the restoration and rerelease of many classic Disney soundtracks and albums, from animation soundtracks to Theme-Park favorites.

Huh.

Along the way, he made some amazing discoveries – discoveries that led to “The Lost Chords.”

Well, I know now... but had no idea what you were talking about.

From the days that the Talkies first came on the scene, Walt knew he wanted that new technology in his pictures. There were several ways that film companies were incorporating sound in their productions. Some companies sent an LP along with the roll of film and they were to be played concurrently. However, that required an alert man in the booth who could start both at precisely the correct time. Walt wouldn't have this. I don't recall what the second method was, but the third was to engrain the sound into a piece of film and then to play both the sound film and the film with the cartoon images on it together at the same time. Walt approved of this method, but there was another challenge, how the orchestra would keep up with the pace of the film.

I’m going to quote myself from a previous bonus feature on a TR with relation to the click track, something that Disney created and modern day studio musicians consider commonplace.

“A perfect example of this is The Skeleton Dance, the very first Silly Symphony. The movement of the skeletons is very precise to the sound of the marimba, and the use of the marimba is to simulate the sound of clacking on the bones of the skeletons.

One conductor that Walt worked with thought he could do exactly what was needed on his own, but after two unsuccessful takes he reluctantly agreed to use a device that Walt had urged him to use at the start. Today studio musicians regard the "click track" as a regular part of the job. It is a metronome that is played through headphones and keeps time steady so that every sound occurs just when it should with respect to the video. When I was in music school, we got to participate in a mock studio recording and were able to play with a cartoon on screen and we stayed in sync using the click track in our headphones.”

All very interesting. Not just saying that. I'm reading and nodding my head and making little "huh" sounds all the while.

Notice "Father" in the background.

:lmao: Took me a second to get it.

This was Disney's first really big hit. It was the height of depression, everyone was afraid that the Big Bad Wolf would be knocking on their door. He told us that this song was even bigger that “Let It Go” has been in the pop culture of the 21st Century.

Really! Huh!!

This was a timeless production, think about all the classic Disney songs that came from it. "Whistle While You Work", "Someday my Prince Will Come", "Heigh Ho".

Never heard of them.

:rolleyes:

This movie was the first ever to produce a "soundtrack", but it wasn't until Pinnochio that the word “soundtrack” was used

No way! Really!

Speaking of Pinnochio. "When You Wish Upon A Star" has become one of the most recognized songs ever for the "brand" of the Disney company. Everyone knows that song, but probably don't even know the names of the writers. Do you?

Nope. Well... now I know. Thanks Google!

"The owner of the rights to the song, Bourne Co. Music Publishers, sued Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp., Fox Broadcasting Company, Fuzzy Door Productions, Cartoon Network, Walter Murphy and Seth MacFarlane to try to stop distribution of a 2003 Family Guy episode entitled "When You Wish upon a Weinstein" that parodies the song in a version called "I Need a Jew". A federal judge ruled against Bourne Co, stating that a parody of the song did not infringe on the company's copyright."

I can see how that wouldn't fly. Ever heard of Weird Al?

After the war he went back to tried and true, fairytales. Cinderella.

Nope. Never heard of that one either.

Once the Mickey Mouse Club was clearly a hit, they signed Annette as the first recording artist for the label.

I had no idea she was the first.

Any idea why Johnny Carson is on there?

Wait... Something..... Did he broadcast from Sunset Studios?

This is the studio where Annette Funicello recorded all her albums. Then Mr Thornton put this out there. It also the same studio where the Doors recorded their albums. He said, "Annette Funicello" (gesturing to the right) "The Doors" (gesturing to the left) I'm just going to let that linger for a moment.

Wow. Not just a little bit different. We're talking galaxies apart here.

Those of you who aren’t familiar with the Doors, why not? And if you are, I wanted to “be” Jim Morrison, when I was a senior in High School. If that doesn’t scare you, I don’t know what will!

:rotfl: I'm learning so much about you!

They not only penned a good deal of Annette’s songs, but were also responsible for most of the iconic Disney songs of the 1960s and beyond.

::yes:: Them I know.

The Herbie franchise really wasn't a big music seller, and either were Escape from Witch Mountain or the Apple Dumpling Gang. How many of you remember these favorites?

Me! Me!

However, they turned the beat around with Disco Mickey in 1979.

Good... Lord.

The album peaked at #35 on Billboard's Pop Albums Chart and was certified 2x Platinum by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America).

Really! I'm rather surprised by that.

Over 25 years later and the melodies are still as pertinent as when they came out in 1989.

Wow. 25 years? Really?

I feel old.

older.

One of the projects that Randy Thornton has been working on is called the Lost Chords. As part of his job at Walt Disney Records he is restoring soundtracks from the original masters for use in rereleasing DVDs and CD soundtracks. In that process he is uncovering old gems from movies that were never used. Those songs are being recorded and released on CD sets of the remastered tracks and then the old songs that the public has never heard are also included on the CD sets as well.

That's so cool!

The newest addition to this legacy collection includes music from Mary Poppins, he played us “The Chimpanzoo” which was a Sherman Bros song that would have taken the kids on another adventure, but the entire scene was lost on the cutting room floor even before filming commenced. He showed us this picture of PL Travers drawn by one of the animators, and some of the concept art for the Chimpanzoo scene. As you can tell, nothing at Disney is wasted because, Kaa, the evil python in The Jungle Book was recycled from these concept drawings for Mary Poppins.

Recognized him right away.
Love the shot of PL Travers.

He showed this “obviously photoshopped” picture while it played.

Still.... I like it.

The edition of the Lost Chords for Mary Poppins was released last summer and that’s what we received as our parting gift for the event.

What a great gift!

It had been a while since breakfast, so on our way out of the park I was crazing a sweet treat.

crazing a sweet treat.
I don't know if that's a typo... but I like it!

A root beer float.

mmmmm.... love those.

I really love seeing these special event opportunities you get to have at Disneyland. This one looks really interesting, especially for someone who is as into music as you and Fran.

Wow, another fabulous event. Thank you for all the history, fascinating as always! :)

The parting gifts are great.

It was great! I'm so glad that I wrote it up that next day after the event otherwise I never would have remembered all that detail. It was fascinating and the food was good too!

How did I fall so behind? Lets just say I am going to be you in my next life.

Dinner with your friends looks incredible. Love that you had so many visits to the park. And that last event; wow!

:laughing: You crack me up. I only talk about the fun things here. Be careful what you wish for! :lmao:

I really enjoyed reading about the event, thank you for the thorough post!

You're welcome! Tomorrow night I have a Beauty and the Beast event. Paige O'hara is supposed to give a performance along with us seeing some never seen clips. I need to get on with my bonus features!

It is amazing to see New Orleans Square so empty.

I know! Rarely does one see it like that!

That looks delicious.

This sounded like a very interesting presentation.

The meal was very good and I very much enjoyed the presentation!

Great event and love all the details in coverage of it.

Thanks!

Hey, I didn't embarrass myself!

Don't feel bad--I didn't have time to do it, either!

Of course and I understand!

Sooooo disappointed with you Alison.
I've been waiting and waiting for this update you know.

Sheesh.

Yeah right!

Last August? I can't remember yesterday!

that's almost how I feel too.

Oh, cool!

Yup. They have these often but for the price we don't always want to pony up unless the topic interests us.

mmmm.... pastries.

They were good!

Oh.... my.... And the Hollandaise sauce looks good too!

It was good too!

Well, I know now... but had no idea what you were talking about.

OK, good we're now on the same page.

All very interesting. Not just saying that. I'm reading and nodding my head and making little "huh" sounds all the while.

That's good.

:lmao: Took me a second to get it.

Me too!

Really! Huh!!

Never heard of them.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, right.

No way! Really!

Well think about it. People barely had record players and such back then...

Nope. Well... now I know. Thanks Google!

I still don't, I have't googled it.

I can see how that wouldn't fly. Ever heard of Weird Al?

Well, yah, duh!

Nope. Never heard of that one either.

Yeah, and you don't know where the castle in MK come from.

I had no idea she was the first.

Any idea why Johnny Carson is on there?

Wait... Something..... Did he broadcast from Sunset Studios?

No I don't remember that one...sorry...

Wow. Not just a little bit different. We're talking galaxies apart here.

I know! I was totally tripping out on that concept!

:rotfl: I'm learning so much about you!

There is lots I can't share on here! :lmao:

::yes:: Them I know.

Well I could hope so.

But did they have any hit songs?

Good... Lord.

That's what I was thinking.

Really! I'm rather surprised by that.

By that time, I had moved back to the 60's

Wow. 25 years? Really?

I feel old.

older.

I know what you mean.

Recognized him right away.
Love the shot of PL Travers.

They were cool!

What a great gift!

Definitely!

crazing a sweet treat.
I don't know if that's a typo... but I like it!

definitely a typo, but it works.

mmmmm.... love those.

Me too!

I really love seeing these special event opportunities you get to have at Disneyland. This one looks really interesting, especially for someone who is as into music as you and Fran.

That was one of the reasons we signed up. They are pretty pricey so we have to pick and choose. We have a Beauty and the Beast one coming up tomorrow night.

Back in September Disney released a “mash up” mug for Trader Sam’s and the Haunted Mansion. I was alerted to this occurrence by @skier_pete just days before the mug came out. We were able to modify our plans to spend the day of the mug’s release out at the DLR, but not all day.

Now here in California, Trader Sam’s opens at noon, not that crazy 4PM stuff they have in Florida. Evidently there was a huge line outside Trader Sam’s before noon and once they opened the mug sales there were two lines. One for the people who wanted to get a drink from the bar for their $30.00 plus tax or one for those who just wanted to take their two mugs for that price and run with it.

When we finally made it out there, we wanted the drink! If we were going to pay $30 for a mug we were going to get the drink as well as the mug! So we ponied up in line and even though the people who waited earlier had as long as a two hour wait, we only had to wait about 30 minutes or so until we were seated inside. That’s why the pictures are so blurry, it’s pretty dark in there. This is the drink, called the chilling challenge. I really liked it!

We also ordered some Chicken lettuce cups, which are always good.

Plus we ordered tempura fried green beans and a burger.

Here’s the new mug

And our Tiki mug collection as of September. It has grown since then.

I’ll be back (Hopefully soon) with the Festival of Holidays.

Was very excited you were able to get those mugs. Also excited you shared one with me! Thank you again.

Oh liking your new mug! How neat that TS opens earlier in California. What's with the 4pm nonesense at WDW? The drink looks good as does the food.

Do they do a similar deal with a tables in wonderland card in California?

Love the mugs and darn, I still owe you for mine. And I need to pick it up when I see you in April if not before. :lmao:

When we finally made it out there, we wanted the drink! If we were going to pay $30 for a mug we were going to get the drink as well as the mug!
Heck yeah!

And our Tiki mug collection as of September. It has grown since then.
Nice looking collection. I honestly didn't realize that they are all themed so well that they do go together nicely.

Well, aside from that random sub there in the middle.

Yeah right!

:laughing:

that's almost how I feel too.

I've already forgotten this morning... and it's still morning...

It was good too!

Annnnnddddd.... jealousy rears it's ugly head.

Well think about it. People barely had record players and such back then...

Oh, that's not what I meant.
I meant that I found it neat that the first time the word soundtrack was used was on a Disney movie.

Yeah, and you don't know where the castle in MK come from.

It's Detroit, isn't it?

There is lots I can't share on here! :lmao:

Soon.... soooooon......

But did they have any hit songs?

Not that I can remember... maybe from Herbie?

Back in September Disney released a “mash up” mug for Trader Sam’s and the Haunted Mansion.

Interesting concept.

Now here in California, Trader Sam’s opens at noon, not that crazy 4PM stuff they have in Florida.

So... you're saying people drink more in California.

This explains much.

Evidently there was a huge line outside Trader Sam’s before noon and once they opened the mug sales there were two lines.

Whoa. I had no idea it was that popular.

If we were going to pay $30 for a mug we were going to get the drink as well as the mug!

I should hope so!

That’s why the pictures are so blurry, it’s pretty dark in there.

Uh, huh. Had nothing to do with the alcohol. Sure.

This is the drink, called the chilling challenge. I really liked it!

Remember what was in it?

Here’s the new mug

:thumbsup2 I like it!

20160924_103828.jpg

These are a lot of fun. Cool collection!

Was very excited you were able to get those mugs. Also excited you shared one with me! Thank you again.

No problem! Thanks for alerting me to the release!

Oh liking your new mug! How neat that TS opens earlier in California. What's with the 4pm nonesense at WDW? The drink looks good as does the food.

I think TS at WDW is really missing out on an opportunity. We went by there at 2PM only to be disappointed that they were closed.

Do they do a similar deal with a tables in wonderland card in California?

No they dont, but they do have AP Discounts at most places.

Love the mugs and darn, I still owe you for mine. And I need to pick it up when I see you in April if not before. :lmao:

Well I'll male sure to bring it with me when we come out to stay!

Nice looking collection. I honestly didn't realize that they are all themed so well that they do go together nicely.

Well, aside from that random sub there in the middle.

Hey there! That random sub is the pride of her collection!

Hey there! That random sub is the pride of her collection!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yes, I know! I just had to point it out. It's kind of like one thing just doesn't belong there...

There was a group of Disdads that went to WDW for Marathon Weekend. They were live broadcasting from the parks and resorts. One night a group of them went to Trader Sams and racked up a $700 tab. Everyone ended up with a Nautilus among other souvenirs.

Oooohhh, what did it taste like? That looks like one I'd try :)

It was fruity, but not too sweet. See below for ingredients.

That mug is cool and the food looked pretty nice, too.

Corinna

I like the mug, and TS is a great location for snacks and stuff.

love the mug collection and that new one is really nice.

Thanks!

Annnnnddddd.... jealousy rears it's ugly head.

That's why I prefer envy, jealousy's less disfigured cousin.

I meant that I found it neat that the first time the word soundtrack was used was on a Disney movie.

Oh. Yes many Disney things were the first of their kind.

It's Detroit, isn't it?

I thought it was Memphis.

Soon.... soooooon......

What makes you think I will reveal those things in person? I'll need to be on my best behavior, you know providing an example and all!

Not that I can remember... maybe from Herbie?

No, there wasn't one.

Interesting concept.

Leave it to those whacky Disney folks!

So... you're saying people drink more in California.

This explains much.

Not necessarily more, but we're not afraid to start earlier.

Whoa. I had no idea it was that popular.

Anything that is limited release gets the crazy people out and generates huge lines. It just whether or not it's something that interests Fran and I. Most of the time it doesn't.

I should hope so!

You gotta get your money's worth!

Uh, huh. Had nothing to do with the alcohol. Sure.

Nah, takes a lot more than that much alcohol to phase me.

Remember what was in it?

Smith and cross rum
Honey syrup
Pineapple juice
Lime juice
Ginger
Bitters
Pernod

:thumbsup2 I like it!

Me too! :teeth:

These are a lot of fun. Cool collection!

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!