We weren't expecting special forces! A February 2020 TR- Final Update 4/16

Part 9: In which we build a droid.

Because I had been obsessively planning this trip, I want to point out that our timing for appointments ended up being spot on! We didn't browse for long before it was time to head to our Droid Depot appointment at 10:50. There was a little bit of a wait to get to the registers, but the overall experience was 30 minutes so we couldn't have waited that long! Derek and I built an R-unit, and so did Steph and Alex. Theirs was orange and black (Let's Go Flyers!) and ours was blue, white, and black. Derek ended up naming our droid son R2-D7. I have no idea what Steph and Alex named theirs, I'll have to ask next time I talk to Steph. Steph and Alex bought the backpack to keep their little guy in, but Derek and I just kept ours in the box.

478330 478331

We left our little guy on, and he reacted occasionally inside the shops and around the land. Some of the CMs in the shops would ask about him. The CMs really make the whole experience. They all seemed to love working there, and really made the entire experience more immersive. Dare I say, even better that Harry Potter World?

478333 478336

And now we come to the moment in which the title to this trip report is born.

Somewhere around this point, a CM walked up behind me and exclaimed "We weren't expecting Special Forces!" which 100% made my trip. For those unaware, my shirt is a sort of Disneybound of the video game character Commander Iden Versio. She is Imperial Special Forces, and I also happen to have a screen accurate costume (sadly not allowed in the parks). The shirt is actually what I wear under my costume to help me stay in character before and after suiting up for events.

Derek and I then decided to grab the infamous Blue Milk. And a Green Milk as well just to be thorough. We liked them both well enough, but they are seriously overpriced. I preferred the green one, as it had a much more interesting flavor. We kept wandering around the shops as we finished the milk.

We then had a group huddle to decide what to do next and decided to get in line for the Falcon. This was despite the 70 minute posted wait, and my reassurance to all that the line would be shorter if we waited. 70 minutes really didn't seem that bad, and as you all probably know we didn't actually spend that long waiting. Plus Alex got a Gold Squadron Lager while in line, so he was happy.

Up next in Part 10: Who gets to fly the Falcon? Do we complete our mission? And where do we eat lunch?

Last edited:
:wave:Following along!
Your passports are awesome and the drink tickets you made were also great! (Did you freehand those?)

:wave:Following along!
Your passports are awesome and the drink tickets you made were also great! (Did you freehand those?)
:welcome:
I used a ruler to make all the straight lines, but yes I free handed the tickets! I’m pretty proud of how it all turned out.

Part 10: In which we all become space pirates.

Alex had just purchased a beer while in line for the Millennium Falcon when we left off... And the rest of us continued in line while he made his purchase. Unfortunately he had a small hiccup trying to get back to us, as a woman refused to believe he was trying to catch up with his family? Luckily this happened just as we saw him through a window and we knocked, got his attention, and waved to him. The woman then let him go past. I'm not sure what would have happened if she hadn't?

This queue is also super well themed.

479094 479096

And soon we were getting our mission from Hondo Ohnaka himself! It's really neat to see a character from the cartoons come to life in a way none of us really ever expected.

We got our assignments, and Derek and I were to be the pilots!! So very stoked about this. Steph and Alex were our gunners, and another couple joined us as engineers.

Our mission was a success, I won't go into detail because spoilers... But Derek was very happy to be the one who piloted us into hyperspace. We ranked "pirate" which I assume is good?

We were off the ride at 12:33 and feeling quite hungry so we made our way to Docking Bay 9 for lunch. Derek and I split the Felucian Kefta and Hummus Garden Spread and kid's Peka Pasta Rings (both plant-based meals available at lunch). We also split a Takodana Quencher. All the food was good, but I do wish they had another adult meal without meat (have I mentioned Derek and I are both vegetarians?). The drink was refreshing and would probably be great on a hot day. I have no idea what Steph and Alex got, but I remember them both really liking it.

We went back to exploring at this point. We took a TON of pictures of random stuff, and quite a few selfies!

479101 479102

At some point we had "missed" our second tier 2 FP (Muppets in case you wondered) so we were able to look for more tier 1 FP. Steph and Alex managed to snag a FP for Alien Swirling Saucers at 2:20, and they decided that after that they were going to Skyliner back to the room for a break. Derek wanted to spend more time on Batuu, so we agreed to meet up later. We found Dok Ondar's and Derek had to look at everything.

479104 479105

I had grabbed Derek and I a FP for Alien Swirling Saucers around the same time Steph had (ours was 2:30-3:30), so after Dok's we went to ride that so that I could complete all the new rides! We were on and off quickly around 3:00. It was cute and fun, but I don't think I would ever wait for it. And FP seemed to be easy enough to come by for it, so if I need to ride it again I'll go that route.

Next time in part 11: You'll never guess where we went next!

Last edited:
Part 11: In which we encounter the local law enforcement.

Of course after Aliens we went right back to the Black Spire Outpost! I'm seriously not exaggerating when I say we couldn't get enough of Batuu. We had checked the app and saw the posted wait for the Falcon was at 50 minutes, and since our "75 minute" wait was more like 50, we knew this would be shorter. So we headed off to talk to our pirate friend, Hando.

However, we were interrupted by an encounter with the local law enforcement, and a certain Supreme Leader. Derek was singled out by a trooper, he must have looked suspicious. Derek was so pumped on this interaction because he had really been hoping for something from a character within the land. Plus he loves "standing up" to the bad guys.

479246 479247

Derek denied knowing anything about the whereabouts of a "certain Wookiee who pilots the Millennium Falcon" and Kylo told his troopers they had failed him again. They moved on to terrorize more visitors after that, and we went off to fly in the Falcon again.

We were in line at 3:20, and this time we ended up as gunners! We were hoping for a different role than the first time, and it worked out pretty well. We didn't do as well this time, both our pilots and our engineers were not great, but still a lot of fun. Derek and I were both really into it, so we cheered our companions on during the ride. I hope they didn't think we were annoying. Our pilots at least seemed to appreciate that we made it feel like we were a real team.

We were off the ride at 4:02, and starting to drag a little. We wandered, took more pictures, and found a place to sit on a wall. Then I suggested perhaps we should go sit and watch a show, it would give us a bit of a break and be entertaining at the same time! Win-win. We picked Muppets and we were in the theater at 4:25.

After Muppets, we decided we needed a snack, and Derek was quite insistent that he needed ice cream. We had plenty of time before our next scheduled experience, so we wandered up to Hollywood Scoops. While in line, a lady came up to us and asked if we were on the dining plan. Slightly confused I said no, we were not for this trip. She then offered us her ice cream cookie sandwich, because apparently she and her daughter each ordered one with a snack credit, but they would never finish them both. So I happily accepted her pixie dust. Thank you mystery lady! Derek doesn't eat chocolate, so he still ordered a scoop of butter pecan for himself since he wouldn't eat the cookie.

After our snack we realized it was getting close to our time to check in at Savi's Workshop. So we grabbed a few napkins to wipe our sticky hands and then made our way back to Batuu!

Up next in part 12: What path will we pick when we build a lightsaber? What color kyber crystal will call to me? Do Steph and Alex make it back to the park?

Last edited:
Part 12: In which our true colors are revealed.

After ice cream, it was time to check into Savi's, so we made our way back to Batuu (a theme for the day). When you check in, you need to pick a path. There are 4 paths: Protection and Defense, Peace and Justice, Elemental Nature, and Power and Control. We still had a few minutes before check in, so they gave us a chart showing all the different options for each path and we looked at the parts they had in a little set of drawers next to where you check in.

With Derek's input, I selected Protection and Defense. When it was time to check in, I told them my path, they handed me a pin and a card, and directed me to a holding area to wait.

During this time they gave us a quick overview of how the handles are assembled, and most importantly they stayed in character! When some troopers walked nearby, they all hid. And a few minutes later, we were led into the shop.

Derek made sure to take pictures of the entire experience. I won't spoil what happens, but I will share some pictures! Our story teller was amazing and personable and really made everyone feel like they got the most out of the experience.

479294 479295

Surprising absolutely no one who knows me, I selected a red kyber crystal.

479296 479297

All in all, 100% worth the price for the entire experience. I even teared up at one point.
(Sidenote: I've been playing the video game Fallen Order, and it turns out you can actually build your Savi's saber in the game!! I cannot wait to get far enough to build by lightsaber!)

When we got outside, we immediately ran into Vi! She was interacting with a family, so we just observed and took a few pictures.

479300 479301

We stopped to ask how to remove the blade from the saber, since they never showed us how to do that... and then we went to Dok Ondar's to buy a second kyber crystal for Derek. He's not so into the red, so he selected a green crystal for himself. By the time we were done buying the kyber crystal it was almost time for our reservation at Oga's so we made our way toward the cantina! Of course snapping some pictures as we went. Batuu looks awesome at night!

Next time in Part 13: Do Steph and Alex make it back to the park for the Oga's reservation? What do we order at the cantina?

Last edited:
You guys definitely made the most of your time in SWGE.

That was nice pixie dust from the lady with the ice cream! Things like that only work in Disney lol

You guys definitely made the most of your time in SWGE.

That was nice pixie dust from the lady with the ice cream! Things like that only work in Disney lol
We're both such huge Star Wars fans, we had to spend as much time as possible in that part of the park.

I've never gotten free random ice cream anywhere else. And I’m not sure I would have trusted it anywhere else!

Part 13: In which we taste the wares at Oga's Cantina.

Before I get started, I just want to say that I hope you are all doing well. Please continue washing your hands thoroughly (don't forget the tops of your thumbs!) and stay at home as much as possible. Luckily we have all these trip reports to get us through the long days without in-person social interaction! Okay, your friendly neighborhood infectious disease biologist is getting off her soapbox now.

When we left off it was almost time to check in at Oga's. I made a reservation for 4 at 6:45. Derek and I had been wandering around at night taking pictures, but when it was almost time to check in we went to hang out near the line. Steph and Alex arrived right at 6:45 and we checked in with the CM outside the entrance. They gave us a menu to look at while we waited.

It wasn't long before we were "sat" at a table with another family of 4. Of course, this was a standing table, which we knew was likely and we were all ok with! Plus we were right next to DJ R3X!

481464 481465

Our waiter was wonderful and fun and attentive without being hover-y (he was also super busy). For the first round we ordered:

Me- The Outer Rim
Derek- Fuzzy Tauntaun
Steph- Jedi Mind Trick
Alex- Gold Squadron Lager

See the board for descriptions ( :rotfl: ):

Our waiter asked Derek if he was human and then made sure Derek was aware that the Fuzzy Tauntaun was not meant for human consumption. Derek said that was fine, he would risk it! Turns out, the foam makes your mouth and lips all tingly. Of course we all had to try a sip! It was strange, but delicious.

The drinks were excellent, but a bit pricey. We were really enjoying ourselves and the family next to us was great, so we all ordered another round (as did the family we were sharing the table with). Derek and I shared a T-16 Skyhopper this time. I think Steph might have had a second Jedi Mind Trick, but I didn't note it. Alex may have had another beer, but I also don't have that noted. Clearly I was getting tired of taking notes.

When we were done at Oga's we realized it was still early enough to ride the Falcon again... so we did! Steph and Alex wanted to pilot, and Derek and I were hoping to be engineers since that was the last role we hadn't gotten to do yet. Hopped into line at 7:50 with a 15(!) minute posted wait. It was more like a walk on. Steph and Alex got pilots! Derek and I got gunners again, but the boy and mom who got engineers were kind enough to trade with us! Turns out the boy wanted to be a gunner anyway as he had not gotten to try it yet. It worked out great.

We were off our final Falcon ride at 8:08, which meant it was time to leave the park. We took a few pictures on the way out. Including a few with my lightsaber.

481469 481470

The line for the Skyliner was actually quite long, but was moving continuously so we were in our own gondola at 8:45. The transfer to the POP/AoA line was very quick with almost no line at all, and we were back at POP before 9:00.

Up next in Part 14: Dinner and a movie.

Last edited:
Part 14: In which we enjoy another Disney movie.

After arriving back at POP via the Skyliner, we headed straight for the food court. Originally we had thought to do a pizza delivery to the room, but we weren't super tired and none of us wanted the *not good* Disney pizza. So we grabbed a few things at Everything POP. Derek and I split the Roasted Veggie Sandwich and something else but I can't remember what. I think it was just more sides? Steph and Alex split a few things but I have no idea what.

After acquiring our food, we headed to our room to eat since none of us felt like sitting in the cafeteria. We also finally got our Magical Express information when we got back to the room, not sure why it took so very long to get to us... and on top of that is was missing Steph and Alex's information (different flights). They called down to the "front desk" to ask and got their info that way. Funny enough, a few minutes after we started eating, someone knocked on the door. It was someone down the hall who said they got our Magical Express paper by accident? It was kind of them to deliver it to us!

We decided to watch another movie this night, and after some debate settled on Lelo and Stitch. This is another movie I had never seen. I did watch some of the television series, but for whatever reason I missed the movie. Derek always finds it weird when he discovers a Disney movie he has seen, but I have not.

There is a complete lack of pictures for the evening. Probably because it was so dark and we were all ready to just relax. I sadly packed everything after the movie. I had to re-organize everything into our carry-on bags to make room in Derek's backpack for the droid. Steph and Alex actually had to add a paid carry-on to bring their droid home, but they knew that was a possibility going into the trip.

Up next in part 15: Heading home... will we make it back on the same day we left??

Last edited:
Okay, your friendly neighborhood infectious disease biologist is getting off her soapbox now.

Stay on your soapbox! The world needs it at this time. Hope you and your family are safe and healthy.

Our waiter asked Derek if he was human and then made sure Derek was aware that the Fuzzy Tauntaun was not meant for human consumption.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Part 15: In which we find new flights home.

I've been putting off this entry, because it's my last and that makes me sad. It's also light on the pictures, so I'm adding a few random extras at the end!

We didn't really set any alarms for this morning. I think we woke up around 8/8:30. We ate whatever breakfast bars we had and some fruit we had (not sure when we picked up fruit :confused3 ). And around 9:15 I convinced Derek to ride the Skyliner with me! I wanted to see the Epcot line and we figured a quick look around would get us back with plenty of time to catch our Magical Express at 10:35. It actually didn't take much convincing, which surprised me. Usually he's not into this type of thing, but I guess he knew it would make me happy. Steph and Alex still had to pack so they did not join us.

We were on the Skyliner at 9:25, and getting off at Epcot at 9:47. We immediately walked around the station (we did get a little confused as to how to get to the other side) and were back on at 9:49. We arrived back at POP at 10:06. So including the transfer the trip seems to take about about 20 minutes (give or take a few). We didn't wait in any lines at any station.

488400 488401

While the character wraps look adorable from the outside, they really do obscure your view. So if you want a good view, you could probably ask for a non-wrapped cabin. I didn't see anyone asking to wait for a specific cabin, but they also don't give you much time to talk/think before they direct you to the next cabin.

Backstage in France! This picture is awful and I'm sorry. I'm actually terrified of heights. I'm ok in the enclosed container that is the gondola, but I refuse to get close to the window/door.

It was a pretty gloomy morning, perhaps to commiserate with us having to leave the Most Magical Place on Earth.

Back at POP, we went up to the room to grab our stuff and say goodbye to Steph and Alex. This trip really was the best trip we've had so far and I love traveling with my sister and Alex (minus the snoring... remind me to plan for ear plugs in my next PTR). Each time we travel together, we get better at just kind of doing our own thing, but still planning together time. It's a good balance and we are really excited to do this with kids in the future! Might even splurge with a pool view next time.

Anyway, enough about the future. Back to the Tragical Express. We got to the benches a few minutes early, and the bus pulled up at exactly 10:35. We left our bags with the driver and hopped on, this is a much better bus than the Greyhound. I don't remember the trip, which is exactly how I like my bus rides. I do remember we went right to the airport. Tipped the driver with a random $5 we found. I always forget about tips and feel bad.

As we arrived we got an alert that our flight was going to be late. Bummer. I checked and at that point we would still make our connection, so it would be fine just boring. Derek didn't want to go through security, so I browsed the stores outside security. I threatened to buy stuff since he was being a pain about not going through security. He was just not convinced we should. I finally explained that I would feel better if we did and he relented.

And guess who made a good decision? Because as we were going through security we got another alert about a delay. And now we would miss our connection. And our connection was the last flight from Charlotte to Philly... sooooo. We immediately got in line for customer service. Luckily we were already through security and the line was short, because they managed to get us onto a flight that was boarding RIGHT NOW. We walk-ran to the gate and got there before they finished calling boarding groups. I was super relieved and Derek admitted that my anxiety about getting through security paid off this time.

Flights home were nothing to talk about after the initial hoopla of delayed flights. Our second flight was a little delayed, but we weren't super upset about it because we didn't have another connection or anything. I did check back on our original flight and it ended up not taking off until 1 AM or something absurd (originally scheduled for 1PM). If we had waited we likely wouldn't have gotten home.

For those wondering, we each had a carry-on bag and a personal item (backpacks) and I had my lightsaber separately in it's case. No one said anything on either flight about the "extra" item. I just slid it into the front of the overheard after it was "full" and made sure to be the first person to get up to get it out when we landed.

I hope you enjoyed reading along. Now it's time for me to catch up on all my reading along, since I'm behind on that too!! Here are a few extra pictures I didn't include previously and without any context:

488405 488410

488411 488412

Ok... this next one I'm giving context to... because I find it hilarious that I took it... It's literally just a hole in the ceiling of the RotR queue. A themed hole, but a hole nonetheless. Why did I take a picture of that??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter