Weekday vs weekend

WardFam

Mouseketeer
we will be arriving at Aulani on a Wednesday night and leaving Tuesday night. I'm trying to plan which days to leave the resort and I think I've read it gets much busier on the weekends. Would you stay Thursday, Friday at the resort venture off Saturday, Sunday and back on Monday, Tuesday? We have 3 boys 14, 11, 8 and we will have a rental car the entire time. I know we are planning surfing with a company on the north shore one day and my 8 year old is convinced he HAS to go parasailing (will we have to go to waikiki for this?) I'm thinking a hike, some beaches, maybe some boogie boarding somewhere? Is it really worth having 2 busy off resort days together to avoid weekend at Aulani or am I silly to be worrying about that?

Saturday and Sunday definitely felt more crowded to me. If you're planning to do some things off site, I think it makes sense to pick those days. But if you're asking if you should purposefully cram everything off site into the weekends when you'd rather spread them out - I would base that more on if the things you want to do are close together in distance.

but, on a weekend everything else is also going to be more crowded everywhere as well.
Aulani will be more crowded with guests, but every beach,and every trail will be more crowded with people who live here and with other tourists. I'd do your touristy stuff on the week days and deal with less overall crowds there.

Last edited:
but, on a weekend everything else is also going to be more crowded everywhere as well Aulani will be more crowded with guests, but every beach,and every trail will be more crowded with people who live here and with other tourists. I'd do your touristy stuff on the week days and deal with less overall crowds there.

My sentiments exactly. We were at Aulani for a week in mid-May from Sat-Sat, so cannot really speak about specific crowds at Aulani at specific times, but we did have a rental and used our time to explore a LOT of the island. And during the week, while it seemed somewhat "crowded" at various places, whether it was the Dole Plantation, the north shore, the beautiful east coast beaches at Kailua and Lanakai, the Pearl Harbor area, etc, the feeling was that the weekend tourist spots were more crowded. Again, a small sample. So I would do as a PP suggested - Decide what you want to do and what time frame works best for you. Keep in mind that something like the Polynesian Cultural Center is closed on Sundays and if you want to do a luau, whether at the PCC, the one at Aulani or maybe next door at Paradise Cove (we loved that one BTW), it could be that certain times work better for you, so don't get too wrapped up in whether or not it's a weekday or weekend. Enjoy your trip!

Definitely, you also miss the rush hours on the weekends on H-1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!