Weight loss/maintenance/healthy living support chat

HappyGrape

DIS Veteran
I find myself in mood to buckle up, slim down and get fit healthier. Would others like to join me in setting up support discussion on this topic?

Things as - things are you currently trying, workout of the day, how are you getting on, new favourite recipes, family friendly recipes food prep

Last edited:
I would love to join. I feel like I'm just starting again - I lost about 30 pounds 4 years ago and have slowly gained it all back. When I got back to what I started at four years ago, I had to stop myself. I've lost about 12 pounds since May 3rd, but still don't really feel like I'm in a groove yet.

I'm always looking for new ideas! Thanks for starting this thread!

I lost weight February and March and stopped since the lockdown started. I need to learn to adjust to change of routine quicker. I lost weight 2015/2016. Kept it off until 2018. Gained weight again 2018 and 2019.

What are you doing to lose weight ski-mom?

I met my 550 deficit calorie goal yesterday. I have people over for lunch, no parties are allowed yet but family gatherings up to 6 people are ok. Family member is celebrating 50th birthday and I am in charge of the menu it should be do able to hit my goal again

I went to a lovely groceries place yesterday. They used to cater for restaurants only but since the lockdown opened to the public once a week. Way better produce than what we get in the supermarket! I will do some food plan and prep this week

Last edited:
I am checking in. I currently don’t have the energy to commit to the monthly Threads, but I think I need some support. So, I am here!

My weight is not going the way I want it to go. And it’s only because of how much I am eating. I truly need to get a grip on this. I know how to, but I just lack the motivation to do what needs to be done. At least I am starting to get back into a gym and run routine and I hope that this will help me to be more motivated to not destroy what I am doing by eating all those exercise calories...

I know that I need to start tracking calories again. Not really a great fan of My Fitness Pal, but haven’t found a better app for this yet. Does anyone know alternatives?

I lost weight February and March and stopped since the lockdown started. I need to learn to adjust to change of routine quicker. I lost weight 2015/2016. Kept it off until 2018. Gained weight again 2018 and 2019.

What are you doing to lose weight ski-mom?

I met my 550 deficit calorie goal yesterday. I have people over for lunch, no parties are allowed yet but family gatherings up to 6 people are ok. Family member is celebrating 50th birthday and I am in charge of the menu it should be do able to hit my goal again

I went to a lovely groceries place yesterday. They used to cater for restaurants only but since the lockdown opened to the public once a week. Way better produce than what we get in the supermarket! I will do some food plan and prep this week

I kind of started in the middle of the lockdown - May 3rd. My oldest daughter is currently living with us and she's also trying to lose weight, so we talk about it a lot which is nice to keep us both motivated and coming up with new ideas.

I strictly count calories. For the most part, I eat whatever food I want as long as it fits in my calorie range for the day. I track on my fitness pal, and put in that I want to lose 2 pounds a week and make that my calorie goal for each day. I'm trying to get better at eating fruits in my daily meals and I find that I really love them. I've always been pretty good at eating at least one salad a day, but for some reason haven't ever really eaten many fruits even though I love them.

I am checking in. I currently don’t have the energy to commit to the monthly Threads, but I think I need some support. So, I am here!

My weight is not going the way I want it to go. And it’s only because of how much I am eating. I truly need to get a grip on this. I know how to, but I just lack the motivation to do what needs to be done. At least I am starting to get back into a gym and run routine and I hope that this will help me to be more motivated to not destroy what I am doing by eating all those exercise calories...

I know that I need to start tracking calories again. Not really a great fan of My Fitness Pal, but haven’t found a better app for this yet. Does anyone know alternatives?

I'm on a facebook group for counting calories and most people there seem to use My Fitness Pal or Lose It, so maybe see if the lose it app works better? I've always just used MFP, but I also do most things on my laptop instead of my phone for some reason.

I also just searched the group and found a few mentions of a Spark People app, but I didn't see much about it.

I think it's great that you're getting back into an exercise routine. I have always been terrible with exercise. I need to find a way to add it into my lifestyle, but just haven't done it. I was going to try to find a youtube workout or something, but haven't even made myself do that yet.

I think I ate in maintenance yesterday but I can't be sure as with having a party I estimated my portions. It was lovely day and the birthday girl enjoyed herself. I managed to do 15000 steps, with the help of some 80's music.

Starting the week with clean house and this always helps me get my head in the right space. I prepped food yesterday - things as old tom venuto egg white wramble - protein packed recipe. I grilled some lean burgers, baked some chicken drumsticks without the skin, chopped vegetables and melon, froze some grapes and my fridge is packed. We have a lot of lovely produce for the week ahead.

We tested the spare bathroom finally last week, 6 months in the house and as we expected there is a leak. My mood really went downhill but I can't really let every little thing feels like the biggest drama. It seems every improvement project we start is getting blocked and it can be annoying but that's how life is generally - isn't it? I tend to go in OH NO, what now. But in reality aren't we lucky we have spare bathroom? It sat there unused for 6 months, is it really that dramatic or urgent that there is issue with it - we will get it sorted.

There is always going to be inconvenience, and you can't let it side track you every single time something happen. I was moody last night, but I am ready with my runners on to get out for 1 hour walk before logging to work

Last edited:
@ski_mom thanks for the recommendation. I checked out Lose it and there are things that I like, but it won’t let me connect with my Garmin watch until I pay for Premium. So, I have decided to try the free month of Premium on MyFitnessPal first to see whether this changes my outlook on it. I also am getting a new computer, so maybe I will be logging less on phone in the future. Maybe that will help...

I think I ate in maintenance yesterday but I can't be sure as with having a party I estimated my portions. It was lovely day and the birthday girl enjoyed herself. I managed to do 15000 steps, with the help of some 80's music.

Starting the week with clean house and this always helps me get my head in the right space. I prepped food yesterday - things as old tom venuto egg white wramble - protein packed recipe. I grilled some lean burgers, baked some chicken drumsticks without the skin, chopped vegetables and melon, froze some grapes and my fridge is packed. We have a lot of lovely produce for the week ahead.

We tested the spare bathroom finally last week, 6 months in the house and as we expected there is a leak. My mood really went downhill but I can't really let every little thing feels like the biggest drama. It seems every improvement project we start is getting blocked and it can be annoying but that's how life is generally - isn't it? I tend to go in OH NO, what now. But in reality aren't we lucky we have spare bathroom? It sat there unused for 6 months, is it really that dramatic or urgent that there is issue with it - we will get it sorted.

There is always going to be inconvenience, and you can't let it side track you every single time something happen. I was moody last night, but I am ready with my runners on to get out for 1 hour walk before logging to work

Your food prep sounds delicious! That will be so handy to have everything ready to go. I've really started enjoying apples lately. This sounds so silly, but I don't like biting into apples, it's always bothered my gums for some reason. DD got one of those apple slicers that you just push down over the apple and it cores it and cuts it into slices. I don't know why I hadn't gotten one before. It takes about 5 seconds to cut the apple now and I just love it. It's the little things lol!

Good luck with the bathroom fix. It does seem like everything can become a bigger project than it needs to be with home maintenance. During quarantine, DH and DS started about 4 projects and they are all still waiting to be finished lol. I don't like to nag, but it just seems like he's jumping from project to project and I'm thinking, can't we just get one thing done lol! I am really grateful that DH is willing and able to do the work, I know it saves a bunch of money, but it just seems to take forever lol!

@ski_mom thanks for the recommendation. I checked out Lose it and there are things that I like, but it won’t let me connect with my Garmin watch until I pay for Premium. So, I have decided to try the free month of Premium on MyFitnessPal first to see whether this changes my outlook on it. I also am getting a new computer, so maybe I will be logging less on phone in the future. Maybe that will help...

I've never tried the premium version of MFP, you'll have to let me know what you think of it. One thing I find a bit cumbersome with the free version is the recipe building feature. I do like how it will import the recipes and find the ingredients for you, but then it just seems like it's difficult to change the foods that it auto selects. I've gotten a bit better at doing it, but that's one feature I wonder if it's better in the premium version.

I have an apple watch and on the free version of MFP, it has linked it for me. When I tracked about 4 years ago, that feature was not there, so I was surprised to see it this time.

I use the free app too. I actually like it, takes me very little time to use it. It really only takes me time when I am adding new recipe

Weather yesterday was great. I went for hour walk before after and lunch break and had great deficit at the end of the day. It's so much easier to enjoy long walks when the weather is nice!

When I was choosing habits to track during my month no scale challenge I end up with long list like no snacking after x o'clock, how many times a week workout and so on. I looked at the list few hours later and I cut down the habits greatly. Really - is it a must to do specific number of workouts or not eat after dinner? I don't think so. Overcomplicating things isn't helping me at all. Lets keep it simple and focus on getting the actual musts for weight loss done.

The first 3 walks it's more linked to being in good form. I know if I get out for walk, even if its only 15 minutes I will be in better form
The next 3 are from hunger prevention tips - Dr Yoni Freedhoff
Last one is just to make sure vegetables and fruit take center stage on my menu

Screenshot_20200616-054857_Habits.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking on my walk this morning
I love all the habits I have selected and they all are habits I want as lifestyle. Do I want to be able to go out for 3 short walks even when I am 70? Yes! Do I want to manage my hunger - eat protein, eat regularly, eat a lot of vegetables and fruit - for sure. The calorie range allows me to enjoy occasional gelato if I want without guilt, eating regularly over 2000 calories isn't a good habit to have for female my height and eating under 1700 isn't sustainable for someone as active as me.

This December/January I felt sooo unhealthy. Very stressful year, two funerals in a month, living in someone's house until we complete the purchase and feeling constantly cold, eating poorly. I was getting out of breath going up the stairs.
I started with one walk a day in the nearby park and I was able to do 5 rounds for 55 minutes and was out of breath
This morning I did 7 rounds in 55 minutes and was not at all tired. I also did 20 minutes pilates

Doing the no scale challenge I can think about other indicators my health has improved. There is still some to go but it was lovely to notice the progress.

I really like your list. Like you said, it's not overly complicated and they are important things. I'm 1.5 months into my new lifestyle and I need to start thinking of more things like that to track. Right now, I've just been tracking calories and it's working, but in addition to losing weight, I want the things you mentioned above - being able to take nice walks when I'm older, eating healthy as well as having treats now and then.

I haven't been able to step away from the scale yet, but maybe I'll do that for a challenge some month. So far, I've lost 14 pounds and one things I've noticed is my back doesn't hurt nearly as much as it did at my higher weight. I was to the point where if I stood for too long, my back was killing me. I also couldn't fold clothes without having to take a break because my back hurt. With just the little that I've lost (I have a lot to go), it's a definite improvement and I'm so thankful for that. I'm (just) 49 and at the rate I was going, I wouldn't be able to do anything by the time I was 70. That was too sad of a thought to deal with.

I’ve been using LoseIt! since 2010 and was lucky enough to grandfather into premium. I am an Apple user so Health pulls in everything except my food log so that is the only thing I have to integrate with LoseIt. (Can’t help if you’re an android user!). I think starting a food log is time consuming initially until you get your usual foods all recorded for the first time. It takes me seconds to log my meals because it’s so rare to eat something I’ve not had before. Give whichever you chose a couple of months before you give up on it.

I have both a calorie and grams of protein diet plan from a nutritionist. Getting a minimum of 70 grams of protein out of 1200 calories isn’t easy! I’m also only allowed to eat half my exercise calories but only if I exercise more than an hour.

Here is a picture of what it looks like integrated.

I haven't been able to step away from the scale yet, but maybe I'll do that for a challenge some month. So far, I've lost 14 pounds and one things I've noticed is my back doesn't hurt nearly as much as it did at my higher weight. I was to the point where if I stood for too long, my back was killing me. I also couldn't fold clothes without having to take a break because my back hurt. With just the little that I've lost (I have a lot to go), it's a definite improvement and I'm so thankful for that. I'm (just) 49 and at the rate I was going, I wouldn't be able to do anything by the time I was 70. That was too sad of a thought to deal with.

Feeling so unhealthy this winter I got fright what my life will be if I live like this another 10 years but on the upside - seeing the positives is great, I am looking forward of more of that.

The 30 day no scale challenge is interesting. I was little anxious about it but I love the habits I have chosen, I know they will produce good results and it is only day 3 but I am feeling the change of focus is good for me. It could be something I can do few times a year

I just did 20 minutes lower body, body weight workout and 1 hour walk! Great start of the day. We are running low on some vegetables but it will force me be creative with the food we have and use it up

Feeling so unhealthy this winter I got fright what my life will be if I live like this another 10 years but on the upside - seeing the positives is great, I am looking forward of more of that.

The 30 day no scale challenge is interesting. I was little anxious about it but I love the habits I have chosen, I know they will produce good results and it is only day 3 but I am feeling the change of focus is good for me. It could be something I can do few times a year
I just did 20 minutes lower body, body weight workout and 1 hour walk! Great start of the day. We are running low on some vegetables but it will force me be creative with the food we have and use it up

That's a great way to start your day! I'm not an early morning person and my work day starts at 7:00, so until I retire (a long time from now), I don't see myself ever getting in morning workouts. I do feel that it's the best way to start your day though!

With the weekend coming up, I need to start focusing on our food plan. We have been getting carry out once a weekend or eating out at a place that has set up socially distanced dining. I try to pick a place that I know will have some healthy choices. Also, with it being father's day this Sunday, we will also be eating at my mom's and my in-laws for lunch and supper on Sunday. I can't control the meals there, but I can control my portions. I need to keep that in mind. I also try not to go to my in-laws super hungry. I might try to have an apple or something before we head over. That makes it easier to have small portions and not overeat.

Joining this thread if that's OK! I also need to rediscover my motivation - at the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to train for and run a half marathon, when I had never run more than maybe 3.5 miles (very slowly), so I got myself on a really good running plan...and then sprained my ankle. Then recovered from my sprained ankle! Then coronavirus hit and my half marathon was cancelled. But I ran 13.1 miles anyway around my neighborhood! Then the lockdown extended into 2 months (now 3) and it seemed I had used up all my motivation for the year and have been super depressed from a combination of work stress, wedding stress, and world stress.

I've managed to lose and keep off about 17lbs since the beginning of the year - the scale wasn't budging despite the running and religiously using the Lose It app until I started paying attention to my carb intake. I didn't go crazy with Keto or any kind of low-carb diet, just started paying attention to the carbs that would sneak in (like which salads I'd get for lunch had a surprising number of carbs) and making healthier choices.

I've now plateaued - I used to get at least 60 minutes of exercise a day walking on my commute on top of my running routine, now it's a struggle to stay motivated to even take a walk outside. That's really my issue - it's not that I don't know what to do or how to do it, I have plenty of options like Yoga or body weight exercises in the Nike Training Club app or walking/running with my fiance, but it's hard to dig deep and force myself to get out after a long day of work instead of decompressing with Netflix and wine. It feels like there is so little joy in the world right now, having to constantly create my own is pretty exhausting. But, I want to continue on my journey to get down to a healthy weight (I'm tall so for me that's 170 as a starting goal) and I know I'll feel better when I do. Any tips on how to kick-start motivation would be appreciated.

hI @butterscotchcollins. LIttle bit like me, lost weight in February and maintained for awhile. I think most of us know what to do and how to do it and I am not sure what to say about motivation. I am reading excellent book, I like it so much - I have it in two formats. I am going to listen to it on my walk this morning and share quote after if I think one is applicable.

Google the author & the book - Chasing cupcakes Elizabeth Benton. I think you will like it and it could help you figure it out.

Last edited:
"Be careful of the words you use. They become the house you live in!"
"You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be"
“If you believe you aren’t good enough, think of how many chances you’ll have in a week to prove it to yourself.

I listened to chapter about the stories we tell ourselves and how they influence our choices. here are some quotes form it!

"your thoughts drive your choices

Think about it for a second. You’ve finished dinner. You aren’t hungry but you just want something. Ever been there? You think, I just want a little something. Dark chocolate with a spoonful of almond butter is totally better than cookies or ice cream. And, I mean, it’s so small, is it really gonna make a difference? Plus, I’ve been pretty good all day. I’ll just finish off those dark chocolate squares. In fact, eating them tonight just means they won’t be here to tempt me tomorrow! Via your thoughts, you’ve talked yourself into dessert. You’ve effectively convinced yourself. You made a case for it; you negotiated for it and came to the decision by way of your thoughts. Your thoughts drive your choices.

Consider this alternate way of thinking. You aren’t hungry after dinner but you just want a little something. You think, Oooh, that dark chocolate would be so good. But you know, I’m not hungry. Food always tastes better when I’m hungry, and I’m sure that moment will come soon. I’ll wait until then. Or, just for today, no dessert. I just ate. My body doesn’t need fuel right now.
if you fail to change your thoughts, you continue to struggle. For as long as there is a lack of alignment between your thoughts and the choices you want to make, there will be inconsistency and struggle. Every choice is made based on the series of thoughts that precede it"

Let’s look at another example. You’re trying to eat clean but talk yourself into one of the homemade brownies in the break room. After you’ve enjoyed it, you choose a guilt response and think, Well, I blew it! What’s the point in eating clean for the rest of the day? I might as well get these cravings out of my system so I can be super strict tomorrow!

A single brownie turns into a full-blown binge, not because you don’t have control, but because you used the thing over which you have the most control, your thoughts, to make a case for the binge. Every slip becomes a slide, and it all started with a thought you chose about the choice you made. You created the meaning, by way of your thoughts, and that drove your choice.

learn to stop listening to yourself and start talking to yourself.

you have to be willing to let go of the problem and not cling to it simply because it’s familiar or makes you feel justified in your lack of progress.
You don’t have to retreat into the familiar story of the problem. "

It's a long chapter I am going to have to finish it off later but I think it's book well worth reading. There isn't much on diet at all, the only small tiny bit example used shows me that me and the author have different views on healthy eating but the focus of the book is entirely on head stuff and it's soild

Last edited:
parts form Chasing Cupcakes book

"In fact, I’d argue that all-or-nothing is another way of saying inconsistent. Many people will define themselves (confine themselves) by saying, “I’m totally all-or-nothing,” as if it’s the only way they can be. However, if we had them replace “all-or-nothing” with “inconsistent,” the solution would immediately become more clear
... I’ll indulge today and it’ll be out of my system so I’ll eat super clean tomorrow. I already screwed up, so I’ve already ruined the day. What is implied in that logic is that change is a zero-sum game. You convince yourself that if you failed one choice, the entire day is lost.
The only thing that logic accomplishes is becoming a master beginner who never successfully finishes. That won’t work.

We choose these half-baked dismissals because, in the moment, they are permissive. They give us permission to indulge, permission to do what feels good in the moment, and permission to put our goals on hold.

It’s not the brownie that’s the problem. The brownie didn’t create the all-or-nothing pattern. Your thoughts about the brownie are the problem.

Think about how catastrophic and inconceivable all-or-nothing thinking would be in any other area of your life. I’m late to pick up the kids, so what’s the point? I’ll leave them there and try to be on time tomorrow.
The consequences would be disastrous. They’re presently disastrous.

As you become increasingly aware of the ways you negotiate for the permission to be “off” or choose “nothing,” you can begin to practice an alternative approach. An alternative to all-or-nothing lives in the middle. Pursue the middle. Instead of thinking that you either make it to the gym today or you do nothing, what is the middle ground? What are all the options that live between the workout you intended and doing nothing? Instead of thinking that you either eat perfectly or you binge, what’s in the middle? What are all the options that live between the two ends of the spectrum?
"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter