Welcome Home trip (3 resort split stay)

earfulofmagic

cranking out magic and assembly line whimsy
Foreword: left out dining, shopping, parks and other details unrelated to the resorts to try to keep this short.

Back last Sunday from a 3-night, 3-resort split stay for my "Welcome Home" trip. This was purely to use up some points that were expiring by end of September. Originally, it was going to be an even quicker 2-nighter, but for various reasons I decided to tack on a single night at the beginning. Everything was booked on rather short notice, and my main goal was to relax and enjoy the resorts since the trip was so short.
  • Thurs night (late night flight into Orlando): BWV, standard studio - this was a last-minute, nicely discounted dedicated reservation for rent that I scooped up literally 2 days beforehand. The following two nights were booked with my points (yay!) and 100% used up my 2021 balance.
  • Fri night: SSR, preferred 1 BR villa. Requested Congress Park and was granted that request, plus it happened to be the CP building closest to Disney Springs :cool1:
  • Sat night: VGF, deluxe studio standard view. My home resort! :cloud9:
This was a solo trip (DH unable to join) and it was my first time resting my head at each of these resorts. I'd visited everywhere except for SSR in the past. I had a rental car.
I've rented DVC points many times over the last 5 years and have stayed at several DVC resorts, so new to ownership but not really the hard product. I've included room numbers so you can go check them out on TouringPlans, etc.

BWV:
  • Honestly, I was thrilled with this room. I could tell it needs the upcoming refurb, but the room was actually way more comfortable and cuter inside than online photos would have me believe. I was mildly concerned it'd be dingy, but given the age I think things are in pretty good condition! It just definitely needs an update to this decade.
  • I was in room 4125; on the balcony, there was a view of the Skyliner off in the distance to the left, directly in front was a pond, and to the right I could see a hint of the walking path to HS. I thought it was a pretty good standard view, all things considered!
  • By checkout time, though, I was a little sick of the long hallways. On checkout morning: out for breakfast with a friend, back to my room, out to the lobby then pool, back to my room when I learned the pool doesn't open until 10am?!?!, out to parking lot to drop off my carry-on in the car, back to room to pack up my day bag... I'm no stranger to walking or even long hallways but I think I appreciated why people request "near elevator" for the first time.

SSR:
  • Always admired from afar at Disney Springs, I just love the colors of the buildings. My two requests: Congress Park, and that they prioritize my room being ready early over the location request. Well, they gave me both, though the early part was not by much. Room was ready around 3:35pm - but, hey, for all our other DVC stays in the past the room was never ready before 4pm... so I consider that a win!
  • I was in room 1245 (yes, a little anagram of my BWV room :laughing:) and WOW I loved it. My first thought upon entering was: what they say is true -- once you stay in a 1 bedroom, you will not want to go back to a studio. (More on that later.) All of our past DVC stays were always in studios, so this was really new to me! Nicely updated, so clean, spacious, very comfortable, and with a fantastic view out to Paddlefish -- and to the right, the hot air balloon. It was a pretty rainy trip (September in Orlando being what it is), and watching Happily Ever After on the living room couch while Disney Springs started to light up, with soft rain in the evening... how romantic! I was very happy. Later when I walked over to Disney Springs for dinner, I was just so chuffed at how quick and convenient the walk was; I don't really enjoy bussing or driving to Disney Springs.
  • The execution of theme - yes, it isn't fantastic, especially when the horse race elements are mostly evoked by leather straps on the chandelier. BUT it's still nice, in my opinion -- just not on the theme level of AKL or WL. DH was unimpressed with photos/videos when I got home and likened it to an average Marriott (I'd say it's more similar to a boring but inoffensive AirBnB apartment, but okay.)
  • I used the in-room washer and dryer (soooo nice not to trudge to a laundry room!), and worked from the kitchen table - which made a great desk. Thoroughly enjoyed the balcony in the morning, drinking coffee and reading my book while I watched boats and Amphicars float (drive?) by. Wonderful!
  • Since Disney sends that email inviting you to leave feedback during the stay, I sent a brief note saying I loved the villa, but two things would make it perfect: fixing the shower line (there was no "end" point for it to hook into, so you couldn't extend the line to hang up clothes etc), and adding a luggage rack. I was puzzled when I did not see a luggage rack in such a big villa. Well, the next morning, housekeeping woke me up bright and early at 8am (ugh) to drop off a luggage rack! Someone from maintenance also came by at 9:15am to attempt to fix the shower line. So management is at least quite responsive here.
  • Overall, I liked it here and would stay again for a no/"low" parks trip when we'd plan on visiting Disney Springs often. Definitely has that quiet respite vibe.

VGF:
  • Room was ready early here too, but I never got the email or push notification as I had with both BWV and SSR - I just found out I had a room in the early afternoon through checking the app. :confused3 No matter, everything else about VGF was practically perfect in every way ;)
  • This was my absolute favorite stay of the trip. Remember what I'd said about not being able to go back to a studio after a 1BR? Yeah, not applicable at all when it comes to these studios...! :lovestruc
  • Similar to BWV, this is another place where I think the real-life impression is no comparison for the online photos and reviews. So much contributes to the atmosphere without being captured well by photo nor video, I think. The finishes, textures, pinks and blues (my favorites), the beautiful watercolor floral carpets in the halls, the really nice balcony (the vinyl plank floors are great), the plush carpet in perfect condition, the GF music on the new TVs, how sparkling clean everything was... just wow, loved it! While I never worried about my reaction to VGF (I assumed I'd at least like it), I was delighted to find I love it so much. Perhaps even more than my OG favorites, AKV and WL :duck:
  • I was in room 1611 up on the top floor, with a perfect view of the monorail. :love: Sat out on the balcony reading for hours from mid-afternoon until sunset, occasionally looking up to watch the monorail go by. Standing on the balcony and looking to the right, later at night, I could see fireworks from MK. Between that and the perfect monorail view I figured this was truly the cherry on top of this whole trip. Another great standard view in my opinion!

All in all - a peaceful, relaxing 3 days, complete with some DVC reconnaissance by knocking out 3 resorts I'd never stayed at before! Just what I wanted for my "welcome home" trip. I dipped into Epcot twice for F&W, but didn't do much park touring at all since I really wanted to soak in the resorts. This was very much a special trip to me since I'll always remember it as a celebration of finally becoming a DVC member.

Inserting just a couple phone photos of the views from each room, thanks for reading :flower1:

IMG_3860.jpg
BWV - foggy lens (this was like 7am)

IMG_4128.jpg
SSR

IMG_4450.jpgIMG_4663.JPG
VGF :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter