Welsh Members

So apparently ‘Team GB’ is just a nickname and the proper title is ‘Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team’. A bit of a mouthful.
Apparently the individual national football teams did not want to compete as a national team, there has been a lot of boardroom infighting and Team GB almost became a solely English team but many players wanted to represent their country at the Olympics.
The main fear seems to be that having a U.K. team would cause problems with FIFA and stop the home nations submitting national teams in the World Cup arena.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will provide you with a better explanation. 😉

I'm in north wales as i've said - Prestatyn , I work in Holywell but at the moment still furloughed. I haven't ventured out very far since the 5 mile restriction was lifted, but once the nice weather returns I will!!

I managed to get out to DLP for one day before the quarentine restrictions were put in to place. Park was doing well to socially distance people & the place was so quiet that it wasn't an issue. Although on ride queues people were still coming right up close.

Resort busses were absolutely jammed but this is what we expected. Have since come back with a negative CV19 test so looks as if it was okay for us, even if our week was only two nights.

DLP.jpgDLP2.jpg

I managed to get out to DLP for one day before the quarentine restrictions were put in to place. Park was doing well to socially distance people & the place was so quiet that it wasn't an issue. Although on ride queues people were still coming right up close.

Resort busses were absolutely jammed but this is what we expected. Have since come back with a negative CV19 test so looks as if it was okay for us, even if our week was only two nights.

View attachment 520022View attachment 520023
Which resort we're you at? I find all, except Davy Crockett, easily walkable. I wouldn't use a bus that crowded, I'd rather walk.

Hello! I’m an American of Welsh descent. Since travel this year isn’t going to happen, I’m planning my 2022 summer vacation. I was wondering what everyone thinks should be on our “must do” list. We will be visiting family outside of Cardiff for a few days, but we have nothing else booked as of yet. If it makes any difference, it will be myself, DH, and our children who will be 10 and 12 when we go sometime from late June through early August (dates are flexible).
Thanks in advance for any help, tips, and advice!

Hello! I’m an American of Welsh descent. Since travel this year isn’t going to happen, I’m planning my 2022 summer vacation. I was wondering what everyone thinks should be on our “must do” list. We will be visiting family outside of Cardiff for a few days, but we have nothing else booked as of yet. If it makes any difference, it will be myself, DH, and our children who will be 10 and 12 when we go sometime from late June through early August (dates are flexible).
Thanks in advance for any help, tips, and advice!
We have castles galore, stunning unspoiled beaches, almost 200 miles of coastal paths, coal and gold mines to explore, caves to explore and even caves that you can trampoline in. There are some amazing Michelin starred restaurants and one is right on the beach at Oxwich Bay in the Gower (The Beach House) and vineyards. You can stay in a lighthouse or in a small cottage on the coastal path. Cardiff has a living museum (Welsh Folk Museum), Victorian arcades and tickets for the Welsh National Opera are very cheap (about £5 for children). You can hire a canal boat and chug along the canals or go dolphin and seal watching off the coast. We have Neolithic sites to challenge Stonehendge, fabulous Cathedrals, wonderful pubs AND the people are charming, friendly and welcoming. Let us know what interests you and we can send you some links.

We have castles galore, stunning unspoiled beaches, almost 200 miles of coastal paths, coal and gold mines to explore, caves to explore and even caves that you can trampoline in. There are some amazing Michelin starred restaurants and one is right on the beach at Oxwich Bay in the Gower (The Beach House) and vineyards. You can stay in a lighthouse or in a small cottage on the coastal path. Cardiff has a living museum (Welsh Folk Museum), Victorian arcades and tickets for the Welsh National Opera are very cheap (about £5 for children). You can hire a canal boat and chug along the canals or go dolphin and seal watching off the coast. We have Neolithic sites to challenge Stonehendge, fabulous Cathedrals, wonderful pubs AND the people are charming, friendly and welcoming. Let us know what interests you and we can send you some links.
Thanks so much! I can’t wait to explore! My grandmother would always talk about how beautiful her country is, so I’m excited to see it for the first time in my life:)
Of everything you listed, all seem of interest; however, I don’t think the opera would be for the kids, and I’m claustrophobic so probably no cave exploring. Coastal activities are of high interest, as well as museums and Neolithic sites. I also want to check out the Victorian arcades now that I’ve googled what one is :)

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to explore! My grandmother would always talk about how beautiful her country is, so I’m excited to see it for the first time in my life:)
Of everything you listed, all seem of interest; however, I don’t think the opera would be for the kids, and I’m claustrophobic so probably no cave exploring. Coastal activities are of high interest, as well as museums and Neolithic sites. I also want to check out the Victorian arcades now that I’ve googled what one is :)
This may change your mind😉.
https://www.showcaves.co.uk/
https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/bounce-below
How long are you planning to stay? Where was your Grandmother from? (Welsh trait... we have to know everything!😉).

Last edited:
This may change your mind😉.
https://www.showcaves.co.uk/
https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/bounce-below
How long are you planning to stay? Where was your Grandmother from? (Welsh trait... we have to know everything!😉).
It must be where I got my nosiness from :) My grandmom was from Maesteg. We have family in Brigend that we plan on visiting. As of right now I’m thinking of a 2 week trip, but not just to Wales. I wanted to check out some of the touristy London stuff as well while we are there, and I may even try to get a trip to Disneyland Paris.
I actually have no idea, though. Because when I say I’m planning a trip, I really meant that yesterday I decided to give this a whirl because I’ve been stuck at home for 6 months and need something to look forward to and to occupy my time :)
I’ve never been to Europe at all so every time I start googling and planning, I see something else of interest and try to throw that on as well.
How long would you suggest to stay in Wales? I was thinking 5 nights but totally open.

Oooh don't forget the castles in Wales. The boarders are dotted with lots. Obviously there's Cardiff and Caerphilly castles, but you also might enjoy Castell Coch, which is modern but fairytale. So many more of different styles if that's your bag.

I'd rent a car if I were you. That gives you more freedom. That means you can pick it up at Heathrow/Gatwick. Drive to Bath for a couple of nights to explore and get over jetlag (Roman baths, Georgian terraces). Then you can visit your relatives, go to the Gower for beaches. Pop to Cardiff area for museums (I second st Fagin's if the weather's good. There's also a couple of museums in town and a short drive north is the big pit museum of mining), castles, arcades, generally fabulous city.

Then you could head slowly back to London, stopping off on the way. Canoeing in the wye valley (maybe stopping at hay on Wye for sheep's milk ice cream, or just a nice pub lunch), walking in the Cotswolds, before dropping the car off and having a few days to see the sights in London.
Not too much driving but would give you a nice flavour of things.

Oooh don't forget the castles in Wales. The boarders are dotted with lots. Obviously there's Cardiff and Caerphilly castles, but you also might enjoy Castell Coch, which is modern but fairytale. So many more of different styles if that's your bag.

I'd rent a car if I were you. That gives you more freedom. That means you can pick it up at Heathrow/Gatwick. Drive to Bath for a couple of nights to explore and get over jetlag (Roman baths, Georgian terraces). Then you can visit your relatives, go to the Gower for beaches. Pop to Cardiff area for museums (I second st Fagin's if the weather's good. There's also a couple of museums in town and a short drive north is the big pit museum of mining), castles, arcades, generally fabulous city.

Then you could head slowly back to London, stopping off on the way. Canoeing in the wye valley (maybe stopping at hay on Wye for sheep's milk ice cream, or just a nice pub lunch), walking in the Cotswolds, before dropping the car off and having a few days to see the sights in London.
Not too much driving but would give you a nice flavour of things.
If you wanted to go to Paris it's a short train ride from London, so would tack it onto that end of the trip and fly home from France.
Thanks so much for the tips! I have never rented a car internationally before. Do you know if there would be an issue for us with that?
Also, I am super intrigue by sheep’s milk ice cream bc I loooooooove ice cream!

If you have a driving licence there shouldn't be. A lot of hire cars are automatic now and if it's not then you can just ask. Some places prefer over 25s but you can check and book it online in advance.

From driving in Orlando I'd say we have more roundabouts. We drive on the left and a red light *always* means stop, even if you're turning. You'll be fine. Things are just all a bit smaller here.

How is everyone surviving lockdown? Vale of Glamorgan is eerily quiet and the recent rain has turned the footpaths to muddy puddles. My dog looks more like a wallowing pig than a golden retriever after our walks. If BJ announces a national lockdown next week, do you think MD will follow suit or will ‘our’ lockdown end on 9 November as planned? I hope that everyone is well.

Hiya well this is not the sunny lockdown of last time. So just at home watching telly. Running in the garage. We should of just returned from WDW after our 3 year old grandson going for the first time. So sad. We have lots of Dvc points as we saved them for this holiday. Have no idea when we can go back all looks so different. Janet

Hiya well this is not the sunny lockdown of last time. So just at home watching telly. Running in the garage. We should of just returned from WDW after our 3 year old grandson going for the first time. So sad. We have lots of Dvc points as we saved them for this holiday. Have no idea when we can go back all looks so different. Janet
We were supposed to fly out on 16 October and return today. Now postponed again until March 2021. We managed a quick trip to Athens before lockdown, so luckily we found some sunshine. Maybe your little grandson will be tall enough to ride all the ‘big’ rides, when you are able to visit?

Hello all! Bridgend is pretty quiet here too.

Missing going out & doing things, miss going to watch Cardiff City every week, missed two Disney trips now due to the pandemic (August at OKW & DLP for halloween), all that i am seem to be doing is going to work, sleeping and repeat at the moment, but I am sure that's no different to everyone else, but we are getting by!

Rebooked for March 21 at AKL (Kidani). Should that fail I think we are going to hit up the Caribbean where there are no current travel restrictions & rent out our DVC points until the pandemic passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter