My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

Tuesday's Garage workout with DW! I love working out with her!!

1) Reach thru stretches
2) Bird dog stretch
3) Childs pose stretch
4) TRX squats 3 sets 15 reps
5) Swiss ball hip lifts and hamstring curl 2 sets 15 reps
6) Elbow plank 3 @ 45 sec
7) TRX rows 2 sets 15 reps
8) Side planks 3 @ 30 sec each side (I think we only did 2 sets)
9) Resistance bands forward and side to side 2 sets of down the garage and back
10) TRX chest press 3 sets 15 reps
11) Swiss ball knee raise 2 sets 15 reps each leg
12) TRX lateral lunge 2 sets 15 reps each leg (left hamstring protested the second set so I let it off easy and only did one set)
13) TRX saw 2 sets 15 reps
14) Cascading calves starting at 6 for me and 5 for DW

My hamstrings are very sore today! But in a good way! 10th day in a row of work, 9 more days until a weekend off, I'm getting too old to work two weekends in a row!!
Feeling a little tired, but the running and workouts feel good still. I'll see if I feel that way next week... Pretty good night in the garage. My wife hates side planks with a passion. I might have to replace them in the list. Left hamstring protested the side lunges pretty loudly. I may need to back off a little on those. Tonight is second night of week 4 C25K... I think I'm only going to run the actual workout. No extra distance on top of the training tonight.
It's great to have a workout partner to keep each other motivated. And I have to agree with her on the side planks, I hate them too!

It's great to have a workout partner to keep each other motivated. And I have to agree with her on the side planks, I hate them too!

It's like her kryptonite. She's really been loving everything besides them! I'll take them out for next weeks workout. But, I suspect they'll reappear sometime in the future!:rolleyes1

Last nights run with DD was great! Other than the local fire department practicing their skills on an old abandoned house. They lit that thing on fire a few minutes before we got there and then were putting it out just as we were running past. The smoke was yuk!! Had to pull our shirts over our face just to get through it. We only ran the C25K last night and it felt really good!

C25K stats
total time 31:38
total distance 2.60 miles
avg pace 12:09

total distance this week 6.65 miles

A solid run for us. I was feeling a little beat up with the workouts, runs and added load at work. Nice to take it easy last night.
Back to the garage tonight!

Thursday's garage workout was very similar with one exception. DW was sick:worried:.... So the music was better!!:rockband: But seriously, I did miss having her out in the garage. Hope she's feeling better soon!!

1) Reach thru stretches
2) Bird dog stretch
3) Childs pose stretch
4) TRX squats 3 sets 15 reps
5) Swiss ball hip lifts and hamstring curl 2 sets 15 reps
6) Elbow plank 3 @ 1 min
7) TRX rows 2 sets 15 reps
8) Side planks 3 @ 30 sec each side
9) Resistance bands forward and side to side 2 sets of down the garage and back
10) TRX chest press 3 sets 15 reps
11) Swiss ball knee raise 2 sets 15 reps each leg
12) TRX lateral lunge 2 sets 15 reps each leg (left hamstring felt better tonight, was able to do both sets)
13) TRX saw 2 sets 15 reps
14) Cascading calves starting at 6- 3 sets

Good workout. My back is feeling better everyday! I only use the TENS once or twice a week now, same with the ice pack. Follow up with the surgeon December 12th I think. Hopefully she'll give her blessing to all my workouts. I'm thinking about adding some weights in if she gives the thumbs up.

No workout Friday. DW picked me up early from work and we started our Christmas shopping. Went to the town of Snohomish to look at the boutiques and antiques. If you're ever in the Seattle area, it's worth a day trip to go see. Also, get there early enough to swing in to the Snohomish Pie Company. They make great pies, definitely throw on a scoop of the vanilla bean ice cream and add a cup of coffee! Mmmmm delicious! Didn't find any Christmas presents but it was still a fun afternoon!

Saturday was week 4 workout 3 of C25K

C25K Stats
total time 31:37
total distance 2.72 miles
avg pace 11:38

Fitbit Stats
total time 33:03
total distance 2.74 miles
avg pace 12:16
mile 1- 12:04
mile 2- 11:24
.74 miles 13:46

total distance this week 9.39 miles

Fitbit Stats are off a bit because I forgot to stop my workout when I got to the house. Not sure how long it was running after I got home but most likely just a couple of min.
Hopped in a quick shower and then we were off to Warm Beach for their Lights of Christmas display.
IMG_20181201_172845.jpg

Great night with almost all the kids and grandkids! Not sure why, but we didn't end up with any pics with them though. :-(

Week 5 workout 1 of C25K, 5 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run, 5 min walk

C25K stats
Total time 31:06
Total distance 2.54 miles
Avg Pace 12:13

Fitbit Stats
Total time 33:25
Total distance 2.65 miles
mile 1 13:15
mile 2 10:58
.65 mile 14:11

Total miles this week 2.65

Good run with DD last night. COLD outside!!! Down in the low 30's but at least it was clear. Far better than running in 37 and drizzle like most winter days in Seattle.

Tuesday's garage workout was kind of a bust. Got most of it done but my motivation was lacking.

Wednesday's run was week 5 workout 2, 2- 8 min runs with three 5 min walks

C25K stats
Total time 31:04
Total distance 2.54 miles
Avg Pace 12:13

Fitbit Stats
Total time 33:53
Total distance 2.65 miles
mile 1 12:31
mile 2 12:02
.65 mile 14:23

total distance this week 5.3 miles

The longer run is a bit of a challenge for DD. But she doesn't give up!! Friday is supposed to be a 20 min run. I think we are going to the local middle school and run the track for this one and see how she does on a flat surface. We have 9 days until our 5k! I'm going to set a goal of running the full distance, even if it's a slow pace.

Good for DD for not giving up! When we did C25K back in the spring, weeks 5 and 6 were hands-down the most difficult for me. There's quite a jump between 4 and 5. After getting through those 2 weeks, weeks 7 and 8 felt a lot easier.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll use it to keep her motivation going! Friday is really going to push her limits I think!

Whew... been an interesting last couple of days, and I owe myself an update here.

Thursday- day 18 in a row of work. I finally had to admit to myself that I was tired. Skipped the garage workout and got some much needed relaxing in with my grandsons.

Friday- would have been day 19 in a row of work, but decided I needed a mental health day and called in sick! Went out for week 5 workout 3 of C25K

5 min walk, 20 min run, 5 min walk
C25K stats
total time 30:03
total distance 2.55 miles
avg pace 11:46

fitbit stats
total time 33:22
total distance 2.68 miles
mile 1- 12:44
mile 2- 10:44
.68 miles 14:29

Found a nice flat route around our little town to do this 20 min run. DD did great! She's hurting with the shin splints, and I've told her to take it easy with those!

Saturday- slept in (at least for me) got up and did a run with Sullivan my furry running partner!

fitbit stats
total time 25:29
total distance 2.37
mile 1- 10:50
mile 2- 9:52 <------- Best mile since the accident!
.37 miles 12:53

total miles this week 10.35

Also went and bought a new car Saturday. That was exhausting!

Monday- Had to be at work early so the alarm went off at 2:45am, that makes for a looooong day for me! Went to see the back surgeon. Took more x-rays, a more extensive set this time. All my hardware is looking good. Screws are in place and everything is staying where it's supposed to be. Got the okay to add some burpees to my workout. He said I could do anything as long as I didn't have any pain. Discussed running the Dopey with him, he says that from the back repair standpoint there's no reason I can't. Also, discussed the stiffness in my back. He says that it will get better over time and to keep doing my stretches and core workouts. Overall he says I'm doing great for being less than six months after back fusion.

Skipped Monday's run and went to see "Crimes of Grindelwald"... interesting... I may have to read the book because I'm kinda lost! I'll make up for the run and do a garage workout tonight.

Older DD and Grandson have been at DW this week with the "Snowball Express". It's been really relaxing to have the house to ourselves! But, I'm looking forward to seeing them tomorrow!! Speaking of Snowball express, I'll take just a minute to thank all the volunteers, the Gary Sinese foundation, American Airlines, and Disney for providing this opportunity for my Grandson to visit with other kids going thru the same thing he's dealing with!!! It's been a great experience for him!!

Whew! If you made it this far thanks for reading!!

Last edited:
Tuesday was week 6 run 1 of C25K. Should have forced myself to run on Monday cause the weather was suuucky last night!! But, me and DD got our rears in gear and got the run done. No fitbit stats because I ran out of battery at 1.1 miles or so. Note to self: If you have 10% at the beginning of a run, don't bother trying to record the run.

C25K stats
Total time 34:07
Total distance 2.8
Avg pace 12:10

This was our longest run in terms of time and distance. My back was quite stiff when we finished. I'm wondering if skipping my garage workouts is starting to show. I'll get back to them tonight. Had to use the TENS last night to help reduce the stiffness. Felt good enough after the TENS to go Christmas shopping with DW. Got almost all the grand kids gifts and one of DD taken care of. Should be able to finish up the rest this weekend. I hope.

Countdown to Jingle Bell Dash on Saturday. DD is excited/nervous about the run. I keep telling her its not really that big a deal. We only have one goal and that is to complete the run without walking. I'm sure she can do it!!

Wednesday's run should be titled "The very blustery day!" The wind was howling throughout the run. I'm not sure how it's possible but, felt like it was always in our face! Crazy!
Despite the wind DD and I got out and got our run in. Week 6 run 2 = walk 5, run 10, walk 3, run 10, walk 5.

C25K stats
Total time 33:05
Total distance 2.83
Avg pace 11:40

Fitbit stats
Total time 37:07
Total distance 3.00
Avg pace 12:21
Mile 1- 12:18
Mile 2- 11:11
Mile 3- 13:28

Total distance this week 5.8 miles.

Confession time. I've really been slacking on the garage workouts and its starting to show. More stiffness in my back. I've got to get back to doing my stretches and exercising. Plus need to get back to icing and using the TENS machine after a workout or run. No more skipping the garage. Even if I have to get up early, I'll be getting my butt back to my workouts.

DD and I run the Jingle Bell Dash Saturday morning. No real goals for time, just hoping to run the whole thing pain free and finish without walking. I ran the run in 2017, it is relatively flat with one loooooong hill at about 2 miles. That will be the challenge. Once we conquer that hill it's literally down hill and flat to the finish. I think we'd both be happy if we can just finish. DD confided that her shins are becoming a real problem for her. I told her after the race to take some time off and let them rest. When she's feeling better we'll work on getting her back up to speed.

So it looks like it will be 3:20am runs with the furry running buddy starting next week. I actually prefer to get up early and run... no traffic, no people. Just me, the dog and the freedom to go at my own pace. Not sure how this will work out once I move into training for the 10k when the workouts start at 50 min and go up from there. I guess it'll just mean getting up earlier. Standby for how that turns out.

Can't wait to hear how your race went!

3:20 am runs don't sound fun to me at all! At least you have a furry running buddy to keep you company at that hour!

So it looks like it will be 3:20am runs with the furry running buddy starting next week. I actually prefer to get up early and run... no traffic, no people. Just me, the dog and the freedom to go at my own pace. Not sure how this will work out once I move into training for the 10k when the workouts start at 50 min and go up from there. I guess it'll just mean getting up earlier. Standby for how that turns out.

This kinda made me laugh because I’ve been bumming lately about getting up so early. I’m the complete opposite though, I work graves and have to get up at 3 pm:faint: it’s a lot darker at 3 am though. Good luck and keep up the great work!

Whew! Big weekend! Here's how it went.

Got up early Saturday, had my coffee and a piece of peanut butter toast. Headed toward Anacortes early enough to get checked in and do a little warming up.
Weather was fairly nice for a weekend in December around here. Temp was about 42, no rain, the sun was coming out but, the wind was BRUTAL!! About 20 mph coming right off the water. Made for a chilly start and finish tothe race. Talked to DD about the importance of not going out too fast, especially with a goal of running the entire distance. Of course at the end of the countdown she started to try and keep up with the real runners! I let her get a few strides ahead of me before I gave her a gentle tug on the sweatshirt and reeled her in to remind her we needed to run our pace.

After that we settled into a nice comfortable pace. First mile of the race sorta follows the waterfront and we got to enjoy seeing the fishing boats and old structures of the town. First mile clocked in at 10:40. We both felt really good! Shins weren't bothering DD and she was doing great.

Second mile turns away from the water and runs up thru an old residential area. Tons of old houses and tree lined streets. Very post card-ish. The second mile is where the looooong hill resides and this is where I figured the challenge would come in. But, DD kept up the pace, made it to the top of the long hill and crushed the second mile! The top of the hill marks the beginning of the third mile! Second mile time 10:30. We are both still moving and I'm feeling really good! Still no complaints about shins from DD so we march on!

Third mile begins as the downhill portion of the hill we just conquered! Nice to be done with that hump! When we made the turn at the top of the hill we were reminded of the cold wind blowing off the water! It was in our faces now and hadn't gotten any better! Third mile loops back thru town and down to the waterfront. Thankfully it is downhill and flat the whole way! Third mile was a blistering 10:05! WOW! Where the heck did that come from??!!

As we approached the finish line, DD said she was tasting breakfast again, but she never broke stride and we finished with what I think is a respectable time of 32:36. Not bad for her first 5k and an old man that broke his back 6 months ago!

upload_2018-12-17_8-53-7.png

upload_2018-12-17_8-53-57.png

The rest of the weekend was a bad news good news sort of thing.

Bad news first: DD decided to take a few weeks off and let her shins heal. That means it's just me and Sully for the foreseeable future. No worries, he's a good running partner and I don't have to compromise my pace for him!

Now for the good news. We try to have a family dinner on Sundays. This weekend was no exception. I put a brisket on the smoker at 11pm Saturday night and by 3pm Sunday it was done and delicious! If you've never tried to prepare a brisket, I highly recommend you do a little research. Go low and slow, and be very patient if you want it to be good! Though the brisket was fantastic that really isn't the good news! After dinner and we were sitting around relaxing and talking I was delivered a whisper from my youngest grandson (he's 6) he whispered in my ear "I'm going to be a big brother"!!! Whoop Whoop!! I'm gonna be a grandpa again!! So after that initial excitement died down, my oldest grandson (he's 8) also made and announcement that he's ALSO going to be a big brother!!! WHAT!!?? Yup, you read that right! Two more grand kids on the way! Both daughters are due in August, so that's going to be a busy month!! :rainbow:

Great race recap! Congrats to both you and DD!

Congrats on the 2 new grandbabies too!! That'll be fun for your daughters to be expecting around the same time! My Jordan and my sister's 2nd son were born 16 hours apart.

Thank you all for the congrats! Grandkids are the best!! I highly recommend having a a few! I honestly never felt any feeling like seeing the grandkids for the first time!
I hope everyone gets to feel that feeling someday...

Couldn't drag myself out of bed at 3:20am yesterday, so I ran yesterday afternoon by myself. (No furry guy)
Weather was absolutely miserable for a run and I loved it! 47 degrees, pouring rain and a wind that made the rain feel like ice pellets! Quite invigorating...

C25K Week 7 run 1, 5 min walk, 25 min run, 5 min walk

C25K stats
Total distance 3.14 miles
Total time 35:03
Avg pace 11:07

Fitbit stats
Total distance 3.11 miles
Total time 36:05
Mile 1- 12:01
Mile 2- 10:36
Mile 3- 11:45
.11 miles- 15:29

Interesting discrepancy in the distances. I start both apps at about the same time and the Fitbit should be recording longer distance and time because my walk back is usually a little longer than the C25K. And though my total time shows up a full minute longer, the distance is shorter than the C25K. I don't recall ever seeing this and the only reason I can think of is that the Fitbit didn't acquire a signal until a little while into the workout. No worries for me. I know it's pretty close anyway.

Garage workout tonight. No excuses, gotta get back to it!! I've been slacking too much on my core workouts and I can feel it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!