My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

I’m sorry the race didn’t go well. You had nice even miles up until the pain threw you for a loop. I hope you can find a solution for the future.

Sorry you didn't have the day you were hoping for. Injury aside, it sounds like you were heading in the right direction all race. I think it's worth another shot when the time comes.

Sorry you succumbed to the dreaded IT Band issue. Heat and humidity combine to really wreak havoc with bodies. I think the older we get, the less bandwidth we have to cope. Hope you recover well,

Sorry you had to DNF. You should definitely be proud of your training. The weather this weekend was brutal. :/

Well, that sucks. Hope you're feeling better now and find a solution.

I'm also in the camp of needing to spend time doing ALL the things and not just running to keep my body healthy.

Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna give it another shot next year. But I think I'm going to train for the Forgotten Florida 50 miler. It's on actual trails and would probably be easier on my joints. It is also close enough that I can practice on the actual trail. We'll see.

Donna is thinking about giving a marathon a try. If she decides to go with that, I'm going to need another complicated running plan!

Hope your right leg is feeling better after a few days. Congratulations on making the decision you needed to do to keep yourself healthy, it's never an easy decision.

Been awhile since I updated. I took a couple of weeks off from pretty much everything except walks with my lovely wife.

I spent that time contemplating whether I should try another 50-mile run. And as you can see from the title change, I think I've decided to give it another go.

I'm leaning toward the Forgotten Florida 50 miler. They just ran it weekend before last, so I'll have an entire year to prepare for it. It is an actual trail run which might be easier on my old body. Also, it's another race that I can go run chunks of for training. I'm not sure where all I can drop in on the trail. But I'll figure that out as I get closer.

Donna and I went up and walked the first couple of miles of the trail and it really put the bug back into me to give it another go.

I really miss trail running. It's just better for my soul to be out on the trail. Having said that, trail running in FL is SOOOOOOO much different than in WA. The lack of elevation gain here is surely to be made up for with the variety of the surfaces I'll be running on. Pictures from the last race show spots of ankle/shin deep mud as well as sugar sand, board walks over swampy areas and hard pack trails. Looks like fun!

Donna and I have started working out every morning. Except Saturday. It's our rest day. We have been alternating doing dumbbell workouts and walking/running. I'm getting the itch to add running for myself back into the mix. Maybe by doing just a couple of miles before my dumbbell workouts. We'll see though. I don't want to go crazy and hurt myself or flare up that stupid IT band.

Anyways. I'm looking forward to seeing if the added weight training and stretching help with the IT band issues and seeing if I can have a better showing next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!