We're home, spent 8 nights at FW!

jenny2

DIS Veteran
What a great vacation!

We towed our camper from Mass (won't be doing that again, LOL!). Had a pretty uneventful trip down. We stayed in the 1400 Big Bear loop. It was deserted! We checked in on the 9th, and besides us there were 7 other sites filled. The people who checked in next to us the next day said they'd been coming to FW for 15 years and had never seen that loop that empty. It did fill up as the weekend arrived, and they emptied out on Sunday again.

We had such a great time at FW. DH and DD (2yo) rented a water mouse and zoomed all around the lakes. DD went to the petting area and got pony rides. We checked out the horses in the barn. The last few days we were there we rented a golf cart - that was SO much fun!! If it wasn't so expensive we would have done it for the whole trip but it cost more to rent the cart than to stay at the campground, LOL :)

The 1400 loop was very convienient to everything. The 1 night we went to the campfire program they didn't show a movie because of an electrical storm. I can't report on the busses because we drove to the parks, or took the boat. We had a double stroller, a 2yo and a 2 month old and didn't feel like dragging the lot on and off multiple busses. Driving actually worked out great!

I'll try to answer any questions anyone has!

We may have had an uneventful trip there, but on the way home we had a "minor" mishap.

When our slide closes it closes in front of our 25" TV.

The same TV that I asked DH "do you think we should strap it down?" before we left and he said "Nah... it'll be OK". Me: "do you think we should put pillows in front of it to keep it from sliding around?" Him: "Nah... it'll be OK."

Well... when we were leaving a gas station on our way home we hit a steep pitch in the road. I actually thought the hitch might hit the ground it was so sharp. We went around back to the truck parking lot to give the kids some lunch... and the TV had fallen forward and broke the window on the slide. The TV ended up being fine, but I'm glad this happened on the way home instead of the way down!

What does DH say? "Hmmm... I guess we should have strapped the TV down" :rolleyes:

Grrrrrrrr!!!

jenny2: Sorry to hear about your TV (& husband) mishap! Sounds just like something we'd go through. One of those "joys" of marriage -- all the "I told you so" moments that go unsaid.
Thanks for posting it. When we get a trailer someday we'll be sure to tie the TV down!

Just curious why you wouldn't drive again. We drove down from MA for 2 weeks this past August towing our pop-up and we would do it again. It's a long trip, but worth it.

Disneyor bust, we drive from MA towing our popup every year. Weve always driven straight thru. This past trip I told DH, "no more". I get too anxious. We just traded in our popup for an RV (class C) and guess what? We're driving to WDW in December for 2 weeks. I guess it just takes a while to recover and then "we're good to go again". LOL

welovemickey- We used to have a pop-up - and were from MA - but when we moved to Arizona we traded up for a class c. You'll love it. We're making a trip to Disney, leaving from home Dec19, hopefully getting to Orlando on the 22. When will you be there?

Spottydog, we're leaving for Orlando on December 14th and arriving on the 15th. I could only get ressies thru the 21st. I would really like to stay thru the holiday at FW - hopefully something will open up. Otherwise, we'll head to my sister-in-law's house and stay there until the 26th. Then head to Lauderdale for the rest of the time. I can't wait!!!!

disneyorbust - It was just too long of a drive for me with the kids. I'd fly in a heartbeat... it's DH who won't fly! With the crappy gas mileage the truck gets towing it's cheaper to fly anyways. Maybe if we had a popup we'd try again, but our trailer is heavy (10,000+ lbs.) and DH is a nervous driver anyways. He did a great job, but is tense the whole ride. I'd drive in a car, or take the train. But we won't be towing that monster to FL anytime soon, LOL!

welovemickey - I agree about the recovery time!! The first time we drove we took the car, it was just DH and I, and we drove straight through both ways. When we got home I told him "Never again!!" After a few weeks, I caught myself saying "It wasn't that bad" A few months later we were driving the car again, LOL!! I guess it's kinda like childbirth... the more time that goes by the less traumatic it seems :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter