West Virginia State Law on DVC reselling AKV Timeshare

evolady73

Earning My Ears
After waiting for my paperwork for days, I finally called my DVC guide. Apparently, there is a WV state law that prevents me from buying AKV timeshare properties. I can only buy new property? How irritating is this? I put a down payment on it and everything. Been waiting for the paperwork. And when I was at Disney, I specifically asked him on the tour if I had to sign in Florida or could I wait till we got home. Does anyone know anything about this? He said it is a WV and Alaska State law.

say-what-meme-300x206.jpg

Oh, I am serious. I can buy Copper Creek but nothing else. the points are there and available, but since I live in West Virginia, I can't buy them.

Can you just buy it via the resale market, or would that be blocked as well? People at the timeshare store would know for sure.

Yes, as well as making a down payment, and asking the guy if he had to sign at home or in Florida. In this instance, I don't think where he was signing was making a difference. If your permanent address is in WV, you're gonna deal with this apparently.

Hopefully there's some WV owners that can help out... then again, maybe there aren't... :confused3

If you're trying to buy direct from DVC, it sounds like they may no longer be licensed to sell AKV points to WV residents. I have no first-hand knowledge of how the licensing process works, but developers must register individually with every state in order to market to its residents. Perhaps WV requires some periodic re-licensing process and DVD elected not to do so for AKV.

Thank you everyone for commenting. To clear up the situation. We were in Florida in January and took the tour. We told them we definitely wanted our home resort to be AKL. They found the points, but we were undecided on how many to purchase. I asked if we had to sign then or could we go home and make the final deal. I asked this because I had previously spoke to a DVC agent on the phone and he told me he was unable to sell me AKL because of a law in WV. So, I made it a point to tell our guide that and he said it wasn't true. In fact, we asked two different people at the DVC center because we had two different appointments. Now we are home, we called down to tell the point amount, shifted money and got a loan. Only to track down our guide to see why our paperwork isn't here and the deal fell through because of the law.

I can buy indirect points from a broker, but not from DVC directly. I can buy points at CCV directly from them because it is new.

Can you buy in person on your next trip? I seem to remember this being an issue WAY WAY back in some states, when DVC was young. If DVC was not licensed yet in people's home state, they were able to buy in person, something like that. I think.

Thank you everyone for commenting. To clear up the situation. We were in Florida in January and took the tour. We told them we definitely wanted our home resort to be AKL. They found the points, but we were undecided on how many to purchase. I asked if we had to sign then or could we go home and make the final deal. I asked this because I had previously spoke to a DVC agent on the phone and he told me he was unable to sell me AKL because of a law in WV. So, I made it a point to tell our guide that and he said it wasn't true. In fact, we asked two different people at the DVC center because we had two different appointments. Now we are home, we called down to tell the point amount, shifted money and got a loan. Only to track down our guide to see why our paperwork isn't here and the deal fell through because of the law.

I can buy indirect points from a broker, but not from DVC directly. I can buy points at CCV directly from them because it is new.

Oh yes, I've run into that as well. Years ago wanted to add on 25 BCV points but they were not, nor had they actually every registered to sell that property in Nevada or so I was told. Once properties are sold out it's likely a lot of work and some money to stay registered for all properties in every state. In fact when they initially started selling either VGF or PVB they weren't registered in all states! Anyway - resale is your way to go for AKV.

This is kind of interesting. If I understand the situation correctly, the OP cannot purchase AKV directly from DVD when physically in WV because of its state law, but has no problem doing so when physically in FL. How does one prove the "transaction" actually takes place in FL??

LAX

This is kind of interesting. If I understand the situation correctly, the OP cannot purchase AKV directly from DVD when physically in WV because of its state law, but has no problem doing so when physically in FL. How does one prove the "transaction" actually takes place in FL??

LAX

DVD won't send the paperwork to a state they are not licensed in.

No sense in paying inflated direct prices for AKV. You should 100% buy resale.

This is apparently an issue for non-US buyers as well - if buying direct, they have to buy onsite. If buying resale, they can do the transaction over email/mail, etc. This is only an issue buying DIRECT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts