What’s the most immature thing your parents do/did

Spent the money they'd saved for my wedding and gave my grandmother's wedding ring (that I wanted to wear as mine) to a cousin when I was 25 because I hadn't married yet, and therefore was going to be an "old maid".

My mom laughs whenever someone gets hurt (not dying hurt but hurt enough to where you can see/tell). Like uncontrollable, tears streaming down the face, pee yourself laughing type of laughter.

Our house was basically a square with 4 equal sized square rooms, each with a door to 2 other rooms. So, you could basically make tiny “laps” through the house in a sort of circle. When my mom found out my grandpa was going to pay for her & Dad to go to vacation in Scotland, she got off the phone and ran through the house jumping every few steps. I think she must have made a dozen laps and my sister & I were just in tears laughing at her :)

I don't know if it is exactly immature, but it felt wrong for a parent:

When I was 13 and my cousin 10 my aunt and uncle got divorced. It was my dad's siter and she was leaving her husband nad already deeply involved in an affair. Her boyfriend moved to the state we lived in and she and my cousin came and lived with us for most of a year (she did not tell her husabnd she was leaving until this time) to live near the boyfriend while getting divorced.

My parents made me pretend her boyfriend was a friend of my super anti social dad, and lie to my cousin and told me if I didn#t my aunt could lose custody of him forever and i might never see him again. The guy was at our house all.the.time including often when my dad wasn'T and it was super obious what was going on.

My cousin and i were really close before that and never again after and i felt awful for trying to decieve him.

I do not think parents should put kids in positions like that---the more mature thing to do would have been to tell my aunt to see her boyfriend elsewhrere and not ask a child to cover for her indiscretions, but my dad has never been good at standing up to this sister about anything.

When I was really little, my parents would play a game they called "Dirty Sock". I realize now that it was as much for my entertainment and fun as theirs. Dad would take off his socks, slowly turn and look at my mom, she would squeal and jump up...and it was ON! He'd chase her all over the house while threatening to rub a worn sock in her face, often running through bedrooms and jumping on beds, dodging each other any way they could...mom often hollering for me to help her. I'd fall out laughing, and to a tiny child, this was the best! One afternoon we were playing Dirty Sock, had gotten really loud laughing and squealing when there was a knock at the front door. We immediately got quiet, mom went to the door and there stood our preacher. We laughed even harder and he just stood there looking shocked. My mom is 92 years old now and dad is gone. She has terrible dementia and confuses me with my daughter, BUT...she still remembers "Dirty Sock".

When I was about 3or 4 years old (one of my very earliest memories), my dad thought it was funny one night to chase my mom around the house with a garbage bag to pretend to "throw her out in the trash". They were laughing their heads off about it, my mom was jumping up on couches squealing - the works. My sister, who was a little older than me thought it was hilarious, but I was terrified that he was actually going to catch her and do it. They had to stop because I started to cry and tell my dad not to throw my mom away because I loved her! lol

Weirdos.

now I wonder what MY kids would say about me and DH!!

My Dad was a real cornball. He told the worst jokes ever, and he had one about a telegram man. The telegram man showed up on this lady's door. She said, "Ooh! Sing me the telegram!" he said, "lady, you don't want me to sing this telegram."

"Oh, but I do!"

So now picture my dad (who looked a lot like Charles Bronson) breaking into a two step while he sang, "Yada da da da daaaaaaaa Yada da da da da! Your sister Rosie's dead."

I told you, the worst joke ever and he told this one a lot.

My mom sent me the post card about the "Back end of Mt. Rushmore". She was so mad when I asked if she sent it. She thought I was giving dad credit for her cheesy sense of humor. :rotfl2: My parents are actually pretty mature and responsible. My dad is king of "Dad Jokes" though.

My first thought when I read this thread title, was "I got nothing." Then I realized that mom was always serious, but dad could be an immature goof at times.
Some of the jokes, rhymes and tongue-twisters we loved to hear (and that mom HATED...)
"From deepest darkest Africa... comes the cry.... of the constipated ape." Followed by a tarzan-like scream of constipated agony.
"The night was dark, they sky was blue, and down the alley, the ****-wagon flew. A shot was fired, a scream was heard, the cop got hit by a flying turd."
"I slit a sheet, A sheet I slit, Upon a slitted sheet I sit.
It's all down-hill from there, those were the only ones I could put in writing. lol

My kids would have a ton for DH and I. We never really grew up...

Low-key, there's your next thread: What do your kids say is the most immature thing you do/did!

I actually had DS12 tell me last night that I was "so immature" lol which I laughed even harder at because I thought about this thread.

DS12 and Nephew12 had a lot of homework, so DH and I were helping them. They had this map of the USA to color in where the British, French, and Spanish claimed land in the early parts of US history. It just so happened that the area the map artist drew of "Florida Territory" looked exactly like a particular male body part, so I gave the paper to DH and told him to really study FL for a few minutes. He was all clueless like "What? Why?", while I was in the next chair just trying my hardest (ha) not to start cracking up - I'm talking red face, tears, shaking, the works. DS12 figured out what I was talking about before DH, and was like "OMG Mom, you are SO IMMATURE":rotfl2::rotfl:

My mom could throw a tantrum worse than any toddler. I’l never forget the year I said I wanted to have Christmas at my house. She stomped her feet and threw her purse at me. She use to call me at random times and cry about what an awful DD I was because I waited until she was in her middle 50’s to have DD. She was too old, she couldn’t do the Grandma things she wanted to do, on and on and on. Nothing I would say would stop the tears.

My mom could throw a tantrum worse than any toddler. I’l never forget the year I said I wanted to have Christmas at my house. She stomped her feet and threw her purse at me. She use to call me at random times and cry about what an awful DD I was because I waited until she was in her middle 50’s to have DD. She was too old, she couldn’t do the Grandma things she wanted to do, on and on and on. Nothing I would say would stop the tears.
She sounds awful. She's lucky you were willing to even spwnd Christmas with her if that is how she behaved.

She sounds awful. She's lucky you were willing to even spwnd Christmas with her if that is how she behaved.

Love is a funny thing. After she died people would comment on the way she behaved, but she did have lots of good points and I decided I would take a mom in my life toddler behavior and all. When she developed dementia 30 years later, she was really a handful.

When my cousins would come over to visit, my mom would find out what movies my aunt(her sister) wouldn't let them watch and rent them. :rotfl:

So many things. But the one that comes immediately to mind was inviting my mom over to dinner. I made chili and as we sat there I watched her pick out all the peppers, onions, celery, and ground meat that I had spent time carefully chopping and dicing, browning . She put it all on the side of her plate until she was left with a bowl of beans in liquid. I was kind of miffed about it and it still bugs me to this day.

I honestly can say my parents have never done anything immature since they became parents. We were raised in a pretty strict and proper house and would never do anything like chasing each other around the house. I think a lot of that was wanting to set the ‘right’ example for us.

Now that we’re all older they have loosened up a lot..well, my dad has. My mom is funny and everything but she’s a typical housewife.

Having said that, before we were all born my mom was known to wear a shirt that said I heart trouser snakes.

When my cousins would come over to visit, my mom would find out what movies my aunt(her sister) wouldn't let them watch and rent them. :rotfl:
My grandma used to do this for us. There were a couple of movies she took us to and my mom said to not let us watch the first 15 mins due to language. MY grandma said, "Of course". Get to the theater and she said "Don't you dare tell your mother!" and let us watch the whole movie. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter