What’s you prediction for return to normal travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that is staggering, if so ships would not be sailing
would like to see this survey, obviously it's their opinion, how many college presidents were surveyed? Country would be in pretty sad shape if schools were not open in the Fall. I think this would be the end of some colleges.
We have 3 in college now, and not one school has told us if we will be reimbursed for at least room & board, seems like they just may be holding out.

I wouldn’t plan on what others are going to do based on what college are going to do. Colleges find every excuse to not open...there’s snow flurries, 50 miles from campus but we have some students who commute from those areas so classes are cancelled.

You’d think it would be a joke but I’ve seen it happen.

May I ask why in the world you did not ask for a refund? The cruise isn't happening and the schedule change gave you an out. I have tickets for a conference that has not been cancelled in April. As soon as they cancel my connecting flight, change the time, etc I will be asking for a refund.
I never brought up the option to cancel and receive a full refund. I guess I was more concerned about switching airports...🤣You're right though...I probably did have an out but at that time the trip was still a go and it continues to be a go until Disney tells me otherwise.

My friend wants to cruise for her 50th birthday in June and I want to celebrate with her and her family but I have concerns. I do have a late December 2020 cruise planned but I may wait to see how things go before I cancel or postpone this cruise.

In the UK they just told us we are in for some form of social distancing and changed behaviours until October- that doesn’t mean full lock down, it will be reviewed at 3 month intervals and careful management as they open things up.
Remember these people in the UK are going by the Imperial College modelling that seems to be influencing the US response also.

would like to see this survey, obviously it's their opinion, how many college presidents were surveyed? Country would be in pretty sad shape if schools were not open in the Fall. I think this would be the end of some colleges.
We have 3 in college now, and not one school has told us if we will be reimbursed for at least room & board, seems like they just may be holding out.
I have a sophomore in college at a public state school. They said they'd refund room and board. I heard other schools are also refunding fees like parking passes or student activity fees. Daughter's school has only said room and board so far. We are still waiting on details on how the refund will work. Not sure if they'll refund in way of a credit for students returning or send a refund. Also need to be careful as we used a 529 to pay for part of daughter's expenses and my understanding is we'll need to put the money back in the 529 if we get a refund.

Every school should be pro-rating everything but actual tuition at this point.

My kid's preschool is making me laugh because that's really all there is to do. She only went about 5 days before they closed this month. I got an email from them saying that several parents have asked about refunds and they said they are looking into it but they would have problems making their payroll. I don't know what they're going to do about April.

Here's the thing...you don't get to tell your employees that you're going to pay them and be the good employer when really it's everyone else who is paying the school for a service no longer being rendered. It would be the same thing as if Disney just didn't refund anybody whose vacation got cancelled this month and then immediately released the story about how they are going to continue to pay cast members throughout the duration of the pandemic.

Back to normal....what a nice thought as I sit here thinking that we are supposed to stay at home to the end of April, and April hasn't even started yet.

Cruising...I know for me, there won't be a cruise till the vaccine is available, being older we can't take the chance, and I don't want to be trapped on a ship. I personally don't see cruise lines operating without a vaccine available.

Other movement...My prediction is that the treatment will be found soon, maybe by the end of April and then every capable facility will be required to produce it. When that happens, and a supply is easily available to everyone, then we will be freed from our homes.

I'm staying optimistic. I'm hoping for some time in May.

Last edited:

Back to normal....what a nice thought as I sit here thinking that we are supposed to stay at home to the end of April, and April hasn't even started yet.

Cruising...I know for me, there won't be a cruise till the vaccine is available, being older we can't take the chance, and I don't want to be trapped on a ship. I personally don't see cruise lines operating without a vaccine available.

Other movement...My prediction is that the treatment will be found soon, maybe by the end of April and then every capable facility will be required to produce it. When that happens, and a supply is easily available to everyone, then we will be freed from our homes.

I'm staying optimistic. I'm hoping for some time in May.

Fauci was saying 12-18 months for a vaccine... other medical experts and scientists are saying that's actually optimistic. While I wouldn't be shocked if we find a treatment that is at least moderately helpful in the next few months I do think we won't see a vaccine for a long time.

I'm starting to think our trip in October may not even happen.

I am seriously thinking about cancelling my December Very Merrytime cruise. I want to be optimistic, but I am not travelling solo. If it’s just me, it different. I don’t want to regret a decision later. I also don’t want to be stranded on a ship.

Fauci was saying 12-18 months for a vaccine... other medical experts and scientists are saying that's actually optimistic. While I wouldn't be shocked if we find a treatment that is at least moderately helpful in the next few months I do think we won't see a vaccine for a long time.

I'm starting to think our trip in October may not even happen.
It really is a mess and those alarming US death rate projections have me concerned even more. The Fall is when the resurgence or “next wave” could hit. I agree that we are a long way off from a vaccine.
The article you were referencing:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/coronavirus-vaccine-timetable-concerns-experts-invs/index.html

Best future vacation is a wilderness backpacking trip. Cruising will be done at least until 2021, and then will the ports in Europe even take in the ships?

I find it amazing that after everything that's going on that anyone would ever want to go on a cruise again. Or that the cruise industry is going to survive this.
What I find frightening as that people make statements like this. This virus will be defeated and we will continue life as before. I cannot stand the term "new norm". I am 73 years old and have never seen people give up their life and freedoms so easily. That is what is scary. We will do the right thing, defeat this, and move on with life. I am considered to be "more vulnerable" due to my age and I will gladly take a cruise as soon as they are back in business again. If we keep the country under lockdown for an extended period of time, there will be nothing left to come back to.

What I find frightening as that people make statements like this. This virus will be defeated and we will continue life as before. I cannot stand the term "new norm". I am 73 years old and have never seen people give up their life and freedoms so easily. That is what is scary. We will do the right thing, defeat this, and move on with life. I am considered to be "more vulnerable" due to my age and I will gladly take a cruise as soon as they are back in business again. If we keep the country under lockdown for an extended period of time, there will be nothing left to come back to.

WOW, finally someone else that has some hope! I agree that we, as a country, seem to be giving up so easily! Statistics still show that the average person is at a relatively low risk of getting the virus and if you do, you are likely to recover. Despite the numbers that are thrown at us every day, the death rate is still quite low. I know that's not a popular thing to say, but it's the truth. We need to start thinking positively and not predicting what may happen. To think that cruising is over forever or our lives are changed forever is giving in and giving up. So disappointing.

Will the cruise industry (and life in general) change? Absolutely. But I don't think we're gonna have to reinvent the wheel here. It'll take some time to bounce back, but it will happen. Uncertainty is scary, but eventually things will start to be back to normal (or very close to it). To me, speculating the specifics of how exactly the cruise or any industry will change is kind of pointless because we don't know. Take it day by day instead of fear mongering.

You're my Hero!:worship:

I can't tell you the exact date cruises will be back to normal, but I can tell you that on Dec.6 the Fantasy will be pulling away from port. It may be being paddled by me with a long paddle from deck 4, but it will be going. LOL.

In all seriousness I hope and think things will get back to normal before or around September. Though as others have mentioned it will be a different, adjusted normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!