"What A Desolate Place This Is" - August 2020 Dining Report - Update 9/29 Wine Bar George

I liked how they provided both of us with a small paper bag to place our masks inside. They are the first restaurant I’ve seen do that but I like it!
We ate at WBG for the first time (finally!) in July and loved it! They had actually also given us a mask bag the night before at Paddlefish as well and we got one last week at Terralina. As for crowds in DS - yeah......we went 3x in July and one night was decent. Twice last week and the crows were even higher.

Great report! I appreciate the commentary on crowds and safety, I’m rethinking Disney Springs.

I adore Wine Bar George. Food and service are incredible - brunch, lunch, or dinner. And I'm continually impressed by how present and involved George himself is. I haven't visited since March. I miss it. But as much as I trust that WBG is doing the right things, the reported overall atmosphere at Disney Springs has scared me off. Now that Florida is into Phase 3 :rolleyes: I'm not sure I see it getting any better. I don't know. I may break down and just make a beeline from the car to the restaurant and back again - assuming they maintain distanced tables and don't go to full capacity as the governor says they can. I remember seeing your post the day you headed home and how stormy it was. Unfortunate end to the trip but good call. Always a bonus to get home to your dogs sooner! And always a next trip!!

Last edited:

ISoR1yl.jpg
I'm pretty sure we had tried this wine when we were there and really enjoyed it. Of course I'm also pretty sure we rarely meet a wine we don't enjoy.

It was a lot of meat and there were lots of fatty pieces but I know that is part of the cut. We’re more filet people than ribeye people in general. The potatoes were amazing and I really enjoyed the pepper bacon relish. We did box up the pieces and had really happy puppies in the days following as we gave them a piece here and there. It paired nicely with the wine as well.
I am so in the filet camp with you. I detest fat and while I like the flavor of a rib eye want no part of those grissly little bits. Of course Jason is the exact opposite so he probably would have eaten this all by his lonesome.

We looked at each other and said, nevermind, and headed home. We didn’t want to spend our 4 hours in the park in the rain and then have to drive 3+ hours home in wet clothes. That sounded miserable and we knew we would be back about 2 months later.
Good call!!! Those Orlando rain showers are no joke and you would have been miserable driving home yet. Glad to hear you were able to spring the puppies early. I'm sure they were thrilled to see you

Yum, that cheese board and steak look delicious! I would so love to try Screaming Eagle some day but don't want to have to take out a loan to do it (assuming I could even get my hands on a bottle!). Great review as always :)
It was super delicious. You can rarely go wrong with meat and cheese. Yeah, Screaming Eagle is definitely out of my price range too! Maybe one day I'll get a chance but not anytime soon.

LOOKS YUMMY!!!! We are still ON for our trip to Disney in 12 days!!! We were going to try Wine Bar George for the first time on this trip but I nixed it after hearing all of the stories of how crowded DS has been so instead of taking 2 dinner trips out that way we're just sticking with one and doing Homecoming. We ate there for the first time in Feb 19 but DH and I were both getting over bad colds, our taste buds were off AND they sat us on the back patio (which at the time was NOT inclosed and air conditioned) and that night was crazy humid and our heads instantly clogged and we could not taste the food!

So...DH has requested that as a do-over....

We've wondered about that steak at WBG - that's a lot of beef!!!

the weather has me a tad worried about our trip - there has been a lot of rain lately and my DH will not be as fond in tackling a park in the rain as I would - but I have to keep in mind that this is a bonus trip and we still have Dec and then Feb!!

I hope your trip was amazing and you had so much fun and ate lots of wonderful food and it stays the same for your Dec and Feb trips!

We ate at WBG for the first time (finally!) in July and loved it! They had actually also given us a mask bag the night before at Paddlefish as well and we got one last week at Terralina. As for crowds in DS - yeah......we went 3x in July and one night was decent. Twice last week and the crows were even higher.

So glad to know that they do the mask bag at some other places as well. I get why its crowded as people want Disney Magic when they can't go in the park and then you add the early closing times.

Great report! I appreciate the commentary on crowds and safety, I’m rethinking Disney Springs.

Thank you for reading along. DS is just something you need to be aware of. We're going to keep it to going during the week on our upcoming trip.

I adore Wine Bar George. Food and service are incredible - brunch, lunch, or dinner. And I'm continually impressed by how present and involved George himself is. I haven't visited since March. I miss it. But as much as I trust that WBG is doing the right things, the reported overall atmosphere at Disney Springs has scared me off. Now that Florida is into Phase 3 :rolleyes: I'm not sure I see it getting any better. I don't know. I may break down and just make a beeline from the car to the restaurant and back again - assuming they maintain distanced tables and don't go to full capacity as the governor says they can. I remember seeing your post the day you headed home and how stormy it was. Unfortunate end to the trip but good call. Always a bonus to get home to your dogs sooner! And always a next trip!!

I don't blame you for Disney Springs having scared you off. And you are right - I doubt its going to get better as more and more people seem to have pandemic fatigue.

Yes, there is always next trip. We know we are lucky that we can plan on next trips often enough!

Wonderful report. Thank you.:jester:

Thank you for enjoying it!

I'm pretty sure we had tried this wine when we were there and really enjoyed it. Of course I'm also pretty sure we rarely meet a wine we don't enjoy.
I wish I could say I've rarely met a wine I don't enjoy. Our sink has met a few bad wines the last two years but at least those we didn't pay for. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!

I am so in the filet camp with you. I detest fat and while I like the flavor of a rib eye want no part of those grissly little bits. Of course Jason is the exact opposite so he probably would have eaten this all by his lonesome.
Yup! I like my beef with little fat. I'm also someone that when I make tacos at home, I super drain the beef after browning and blot with a towel. I realize it's crazy but why????

Good call!!! Those Orlando rain showers are no joke and you would have been miserable driving home yet. Glad to hear you were able to spring the puppies early. I'm sure they were thrilled to see you

Exactly! They were. Too bad they are going back to there in just two days. Qi’ra is always off back in the show ring again and not sure if she will come home on the 8th or 15th yet.

Love the reviews!

Thank you for reading along!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter