"What A Desolate Place This Is" - August 2020 Dining Report - Update 9/29 Wine Bar George

California Grill

After my nap, I had gotten myself looking presentable for our first fancy meal out in months. Oh, how I’ve missed having a reason to dress up and eat good food. Take out is ok but just isn’t the same.

vhMhUWa.jpg

All dressed up with somewhere to go!

sGH3QWp.jpg

Walkway

It was a very far journey to go across the bridgeway and down the stairs (the down escalator was broken - good thing I don’t wear heels!) where we had to check ourselves in on our phone. Walk away to be distanced only to immediately be called back to the podium after we sat down. A quick temperature check and we were on our way to the 15th floor alone in the elevator. We were taken towards a booth next to the observation deck, a nice distance away from other tables.

Using the QR Code, we reviewed the menu starting with wine. Our server was one of the sommeliers which was nice. We settled on a bottle of wine that would work fine with both of the selections whatever they ended up being as I was in an internal debate on what to do? Did I want sushi? Did I want chicken? Did I want to be weird and order scallops?

al8LQYh.jpg

Chappellet Mountain Cuvee, 2018

Luckily, when our waiter had returned, I had solved my internal debate and we put our order in for food.

So as my husband enjoyed their sourdough bread, I enjoyed the appetizer that I always get now that my wasabi shrimp salad has gone the way of Fulton’s or Flager’s or Maelstrom. Never to be seen again. I love the flavors of this dish as it's just the right amount of spice. I had to laugh at my husband as he stole a piece of the pickled lotus root thinking it was going to be swiss cheese. His face was priceless. He actually likes lotus root when he’s had it before but it wasn’t what he was expecting at that time.

674cN3j.jpg

Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons - Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root

My husband ordered the special which was the normal filet with lobster mac & cheese instead of just regular Gouda mac & cheese. The mac and cheese had a ton of lobster meat in it and he was very happy with this selection. The filet was cooked to the appropriate temperature and was super tender.

619DFUt.jpg

Oak-fired Filet of Beef w/ Lobster Mac & Cheese, Brussels Sprouts, Oxtail Marmalade, Red Wine-Sweet Onion Jus

I went weird as I was craving something different. I know I’m insanely picky about scallops and usually avoid them at most restaurants but I knew I could trust California Grill to not screw them up and they didn’t. The beurre blanc sauce had just the right amount of kick to it that didn’t overpower the scallop. The lump crab meat was wonderful with its light citrus flavor. I was very happy!

GO6l6OO.jpg

Jumbo Scallops - Lump Crab in Yuzu Vinaigrette, Carolina Gold Rice, Glazed Dragon Carrots, Shishito Beurre Blanc

After we finished our bottle of wine and entrees, we decided to go for dessert. We couldn’t find the list of dessert wines by the glass but luckily our server went to see what they actually had available. He said he’s trying to get the website to accurately reflect it in these menu-less times but he was happy we asked! My husband made his dessert selection where as I went with a cocktail off the normal menu as I knew my dessert would be super sweet so I wanted something less sweet to drink.

gev23lQ.jpg

Sonoma County Sunset - Sonoma Distilling Co Rye, Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc, Sweet and Sour & float of Sonoma County Merlot

My husband had a glass of tokaji which is a very sweet Hungarian wine which some strange processing used that my husband was excited about. Somehow, he’s become more of the wine expert than me but that's probably a good thing considering his job.

1B2zqHQ.jpg

Tokaji

For dessert, there were only 3 options along with a cheese plate so we went with the two sweetest ones. My husband enjoyed his chocolate cake. Can you really go wrong with vanilla, milk chocolate and pretzels?

zKkog1D.jpg

Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Milk Chocolate-Whipped Panna Cotta, Pretzel Crunch

I went with the white chocolate creme brulee. I was happy with this as while it was sweet, the serving size made it not too overpowering.

CDO48QS.jpg

White Chocolate Creme Brulee, Cornflake Crunch, Sponge Cake, Coconut Whipped Ganache, Plant City Strawberries

We finished our drinks and paid our bill. Made me wish I had a Tables in Wonderland - hopefully they are selling them again in November. At least DVC got me 10% off food. We walked back to the room in the slightly buzzed and happily full state before calling it a night!

yJOF7OE.jpg

Magic Kingdom

Overall, this meal was excellent from start to finish. Reminded me of the awesome meals we always had at California Grill pre-remodel. Right now, we’re planning on returning in November but could change depending on what other signature dining opportunities open up between now and then. (I really struggled making a plan for our 9 night trip for November due to the amount of favorites that are closed)​
We have never tried California Grill. I think we are going to have to on our next trip.

Your meal at California Grill looks like perfection from start to finish! Random fact: When we still lived in CA we used to rent a house from one of the Chappellets. I love your dress by the way! I still have yet to venture out for dinner (or even a drink) so I can only imagine how fun it was to be dressed up with somewhere to go! :)

After my nap, I had gotten myself looking presentable for our first fancy meal out in months. Oh, how I’ve missed having a reason to dress up and eat good food. Take out is ok but just isn’t the same.
I love your dress!
I went weird as I was craving something different. I know I’m insanely picky about scallops and usually avoid them at most restaurants but I knew I could trust California Grill to not screw them up and they didn’t. The beurre blanc sauce had just the right amount of kick to it that didn’t overpower the scallop. The lump crab meat was wonderful with its light citrus flavor. I was very happy!
Exactly what I would order. It looks fantastic!
I went with the white chocolate creme brulee. I was happy with this as while it was sweet, the serving size made it not too overpowering.
Yum!

There was a party in front of us that had a meltdown and left over it. The process takes like 5 minutes? I don’t get huffing over that and abandoning a line when you literally are the next party to go on when it’s over.
Seriously? People had a meltdown over them cleaning the ride for safety? Ridiculous

mipQVfJ.jpg

Petto Di Pollo, Grilled Chicken Breast, Fettuccine Pasta, Parmesan Cream
It has probably been about 20 years since I had some fettuccine alfredo and this looks insanely good. Do you know if they make their own pasta there? That is some of the thickest fettuccine I've ever seen

As for the food, it was a bacon cheeseburger and chicken strips. Things that a theme park shouldn’t screw up and they didn’t. We were both happy with our food and our plastic cheese we shared for the fries. The mobile process was easy enough although I did need to stop off to the side for ordering so my faceid would work for Apple Pay. #maskproblems
Good to know it was decent. If we go in November pretty sure Jason will only eat outside so our limited MGM options are even more limited.

After looking to see that Rise of the Resistance was only on boarding group 7 and we were group 43 - we called it a day. My heat incident made me feel drained and my husband was also a bit tired so we drove back to the hotel where I took a bath and then a 2 hour long nap. My husband went for a run at the gym before his much shorter nap.
That ride breaking down is really just so sad. You even got a group but couldn't get in. We have one day to try and make it work and are definitely feeling less than confident.

vhMhUWa.jpg

All dressed up with somewhere to go!
You look amazing!

Did I want sushi? Did I want chicken? Did I want to be weird and order scallops?
What no shrimp????? :earboy2:

674cN3j.jpg

Braised Beef Short Rib Wontons - Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic Chili Oil, Radish, Pickled Lotus Root
Oh I so love these. I'm a sucker for any dumpling like item especially when they have swiss cheese on them.

GO6l6OO.jpg
I've so been eyeing up this on the menu as Scallops and crab are my favorite seafood (sorry 🍤). Good to hear it was as good at is sounded.

gev23lQ.jpg

Sonoma County Sunset - Sonoma Distilling Co Rye, Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc, Sweet and Sour & float of Sonoma County Merlot
How was this? I'm a sucker for all things Sonoma (and hopefully we'll get back there next year) but it certainly seems like an interesting combination of flavors

Loved that scallop dish at California Grill. The crab rice was so delicious. Glad to hear the restaurant is staying up to par!

Do they still have someone riding the elevator with you?

What a great evening! Love your dress! I recently dined in a restaurant with some friends for the first time since March and it felt so wonderful to be somewhat normal for a bit. Those wontons are incredible - definitely my favorite too. And your picture of the sunset cocktail with the sunset in the background? :love: Glad to hear CG is doing distancing well and that the food and service is still fantastic. Like you, I'm really struggling with October plans when so many typical faves are still closed (Jiko, Flying Fish, bluezoo, Crews Cup/Yachtsman, Takumi Tei, Chefs de France). Hoping some of these reopen over the next ~6 weeks ... as well as CG brunch.

Yes, normalcy is what we are all craving! Its a balance especially living in a hot spot (as I know you are too) I hope those places open soon but I doubt we'll get most of them - Yachtsman has a good chance I think now that Yacht Club is back open. At least I'm hoping! I think the brunch places and buffets will be among the last to open. While I really hope Takumi Tei opens up, I'm not sure that will happen until 2021. Not many people are willing to drop that much money on dinner nowadays!

Great reviews- thank you for sharing! California Grill has always been one of my faves.

Thank you for reading along and enjoying it! I'm so happy that of the signature dinners open, that is one of them!

We have never tried California Grill. I think we are going to have to on our next trip.

You should! The food is always excellent!

Your meal at California Grill looks like perfection from start to finish! Random fact: When we still lived in CA we used to rent a house from one of the Chappellets. I love your dress by the way! I still have yet to venture out for dinner (or even a drink) so I can only imagine how fun it was to be dressed up with somewhere to go! :)

It was perfection which is so what we needed. That is so cool you used to rent from one of the Chappellets! Yes, you forget how much you miss getting dressed up. We've done a couple of patio meals but its way too hot to do that so we're on hold there for a while. At least I've been saving money on a lot of things this year!

Really enjoying your report and pics, thank you!

You're welcome! Thank you for reading along.

I love your dress!
Exactly what I would order. It looks fantastic!
Yum!

Yes - everyone needs a good black dress! It was fantastic. I wish I could have it again now! Food at home just isn't as fun.

Seriously? People had a meltdown over them cleaning the ride for safety? Ridiculous
Yup because 'its a waste of time' but whatever. I've seen a lot of people in the past few months that apparently have never had to deal with inconvenience or difficulties in their life and now that everyone is, they can't handle it. If anything, this has made me a more patient person.

It has probably been about 20 years since I had some fettuccine alfredo and this looks insanely good. Do you know if they make their own pasta there? That is some of the thickest fettuccine I've ever seen
Oh wow...thats a long time with no fettuccine alfredo! I actually figured out how to make it at home and have it taste really good so its been one of the things added to our home recipes during stay at home. I think they make their own pasta or at least use better than what I can get access to at the grocery store.

Good to know it was decent. If we go in November pretty sure Jason will only eat outside so our limited MGM options are even more limited.
For the most part, the Disney restaurants are doing a good job with distancing inside the restaurants. I will say when I ate at Boathouse in July before I headed to Ocala to pick up Qi'ra from her show handler, I asked to eat outside as the tables inside were way too close for me to feel comfortable. I like my bubble. Yes - MGM is going to be a struggle dining wise for a while especially with some of the outside dining options being closed. Are you for sure coming or still iffy on it?

That ride breaking down is really just so sad. You even got a group but couldn't get in. We have one day to try and make it work and are definitely feeling less than confident.
I hope it works out for you! It is worth it. I would be scared of how long the line would be if they didn't do the virtual queue so I get why they do it. Hopefully the more its operated, the better the up time will be as they figure out all the kinks.

You look amazing!
Thank you! Still working on losing more weight but I'm happy with my progress so far!

What no shrimp????? :earboy2:

I know! I'm a terrible shrimp lover. Good thing I'm fixing that this weekend if the shrimp look good at the store!

Oh I so love these. I'm a sucker for any dumpling like item especially when they have swiss cheese on them.
Yup! Swiss cheese and dumplings are the perfect pair. It amuses me more as my husband doesn't even like swiss cheese that much so why would he just steal some? He likes crispy lotus root. I will tease him about this for a long time!

I've so been eyeing up this on the menu as Scallops and crab are my favorite seafood (sorry 🍤). Good to hear it was as good at is sounded.
Yes! As a scallop/crab lover this would be up your alley if even my weird picky self liked it.

How was this? I'm a sucker for all things Sonoma (and hopefully we'll get back there next year) but it certainly seems like an interesting combination of flavors
It was interesting. It was the right amount of crisp sourness for me to balance the super sweetness of the dessert but I could see not everyone liking it but if you are someone that likes whiskey and wines, it should be enjoyable.

Loved that scallop dish at California Grill. The crab rice was so delicious. Glad to hear the restaurant is staying up to par!

Do they still have someone riding the elevator with you?
Yes! So nice to that they stayed up to par!

No one else is in the elevator with you. You ride only with your dining party.

We did Cali Grill in July for the first time in about 4 years and had a great experience! Also ate many of the same things you did lol

I got the Beer Cheese Soup but this was my 2nd choice, looks and sounds so good!
umbo Scallops - Lump Crab in Yuzu Vinaigrette, Carolina Gold Rice, Glazed Dragon Carrots, Shishito Beurre Blanc
This is what DH got and he loved it :)
Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Milk Chocolate-Whipped Panna Cotta, Pretzel Crunch
And I finished with this! Delicious!

We weren't impressed with our meal here in 2016 and haven't returned, we frequent signatures but tend to stick with the same ones. Those being closed and our friends booking here sort of "forced"us to return and so glad we did! And I agree it felt great to dress up again :goodvibes

So excited to read Your new report and get a Disney fix! You looked beautiful to go out and your dinner sounded amazing!

We did Cali Grill in July for the first time in about 4 years and had a great experience! Also ate many of the same things you did lol

I got the Beer Cheese Soup but this was my 2nd choice, looks and sounds so good!

This is what DH got and he loved it :)

And I finished with this! Delicious!

We weren't impressed with our meal here in 2016 and haven't returned, we frequent signatures but tend to stick with the same ones. Those being closed and our friends booking here sort of "forced"us to return and so glad we did! And I agree it felt great to dress up again :goodvibes

We must have similar excellent tastes! I had gotten the beer cheese soup when I had visited with my mother last January and it was good and filling. Yes - the closures are making the choices be a bit different. I'm glad Narcoossee's is opening up later this month so that we can have that in our rotation. I keep hoping for more!

So excited to read Your new report and get a Disney fix! You looked beautiful to go out and your dinner sounded amazing!

Thank you! At least we are about 45 days away from our next trip which will be 8 nights now (we cut off a night at the end with no half marathon) I'm excited that we will be able to go out more then.

Skipper Canteen

We got up and ready for the day and walked over to the Magic Kingdom about 30 minutes before official opening. This allowed for us to have an easy walk and no crowds anywhere in the process!

6RgbS0l.jpg

h92dbBl.jpg

First up was Peter Pan which had zero wait and did some more rides. Eventually I wanted a snack so we used mobile ordering to pick up a Kakamora Float from Aloha Isle. I really liked this as it felt like a Pina Colada but it would have really been improved if there was some rum in it. It also was a nice treat to cool us off a bit as it was hot!

7QGWlp5.png

SIqJcyD.jpg

Kakamora Float - Coconut Dole Whip, Pineapple Juice, Blue Curacao, Chocolate Cake Pop

MPKLWAX.jpg

We did some more rides as waits were pretty reasonable until Space Mountain which was 35.

nfh9QjT.jpg

e6gcYGO.jpg

Once off of Space, we headed over for our lunch ADR at Skipper Canteen where we were seated in the S.E.A. Room. It was nice to be off in the quiet room for the first time as we usually get sat in the main mess hall.

tZ9TQjG.jpg

I went with some refreshing water and sangria. The sangria was a nice refreshing choice considering the heat outside and it went down entirely too easily but I stuck to just one.

8DdQ8dG.jpg

House-made Sangria

We ordered off their not so secret daily specials and got an order of cheese bread to split. My husband really liked the cream cheese cause while I was more of a fan of the chimichurri. This is such a great appetizer option here.

dXI59qY.jpg

Pao De Queijo - Brazilian Cheese Bread with chimichurri & cream cheese sauces

For my husband’s entree, he went with the crispy-fried chicken with rice. He liked it enough but not as much as the long forgotten pho we used to get. He had no problem finishing this off.

XBB4Dnd.jpg

Tastes like Chicken Because It Is! - Crispy-fried Chicken served with Jasmine Rice, Chili Glaze and Seasonal Vegetables

The heat had really killed my appetite again. I didn’t really want anything heavy so I went with one of the appetizer salads. This would have been better with any type of lettuce than iceberg but at least it was rather refreshing.

UW8lXy0.jpg

Jungle Green Salad - Skipper Bill’s Iceberg Wedge w/ Shishito Peppers, Radish, Hearts of Palm, Cucumbers and Pistachios with Aji Pepper-Yogurt Dressing

After our meal, we did another couple rides before we could tell it was going to rain shortly. At that point, we headed out of the park and back to Bay Lake Tower to relax. It started pouring shortly after we made it to the room so we definitely timed that well!

ZAB5SxL.jpg

Leaving Magic Kingdom

Are you for sure coming or still iffy on it?
Still in the iffy club. I'd say I'm about 60/40 on going and Jason 40/60 so we'll see how the odds end up stacking up for us

SIqJcyD.jpg

Kakamora Float - Coconut Dole Whip, Pineapple Juice, Blue Curacao, Chocolate Cake Pop
Glad to hear this was good. I've been eyeing it up since they announced it but haven't seen too many people order it

We ordered off their not so secret daily specials and got an order of cheese bread to split. My husband really liked the cream cheese cause while I was more of a fan of the chimichurri. This is such a great appetizer option here.

dXI59qY.jpg
This is definitely the best app they have which is saying a lot in a sea of really good apps. Glad to see they are still serving them

The heat had really killed my appetite again. I didn’t really want anything heavy so I went with one of the appetizer salads. This would have been better with any type of lettuce than iceberg but at least it was rather refreshing.

UW8lXy0.jpg
We'd had this previously and I am 100% sure it did not have iceberg lettuce. I'm not a big fan either but guess Disney kept the flavors the same and went the way of the cheaper lettuce

I made it! Late as usual. I'm so glad to find a dis_Yoda report. I am in serious Disney withdrawals. Luckily we have a trip in 33 days! OMG, cali grill looks amazing and I still need to add skippers canteen to our must tries.

YEAH!!! you ate once again at one of our planned ADRs for October - which may actually happen!! (runs off to knock on wood..)

and I'm getting that chicken! I would think my DH would like the whole fried fish they used to have but I don't think that's on the menu right now! What's on their "secret menu"? This is our first time at Skippers!

I'm a little nervous since we bumped our dates from Oct 18th to Oct12th but whatever, I'll be in Disney and that's what counts!

Enjoying your report! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for reading along!

Still in the iffy club. I'd say I'm about 60/40 on going and Jason 40/60 so we'll see how the odds end up stacking up for us
Can't blame you there given the current news and the choices being made by those in charge of my state.

Glad to hear this was good. I've been eyeing it up since they announced it but haven't seen too many people order it
I saw a lot of people buy it for the instagram post and then toss it after a bite or two but there are a lot of those type of people out there. I try only to waste food that doesn't taste good or if I get super full!

This is definitely the best app they have which is saying a lot in a sea of really good apps. Glad to see they are still serving them
Yes! I figured the secret menu was going to end up cut so I'm very happy it wasn't.

We'd had this previously and I am 100% sure it did not have iceberg lettuce. I'm not a big fan either but guess Disney kept the flavors the same and went the way of the cheaper lettuce
Cost savings everywhere it seems. For this meal, I was ok as I just wanted something light and refreshing. I just hate iceberg as there is zero nutritional value unlike some other lettuce types so I feel like why am I eating this.

Just found your reviews . Looking forward to reading more!
Another coming up soon!

I made it! Late as usual. I'm so glad to find a dis_Yoda report. I am in serious Disney withdrawals. Luckily we have a trip in 33 days! OMG, cali grill looks amazing and I still need to add skippers canteen to our must tries.

I'm jealous you have a trip so soon! We're 31 days out from our next now.

YEAH!!! you ate once again at one of our planned ADRs for October - which may actually happen!! (runs off to knock on wood..)

and I'm getting that chicken! I would think my DH would like the whole fried fish they used to have but I don't think that's on the menu right now! What's on their "secret menu"? This is our first time at Skippers!

I'm a little nervous since we bumped our dates from Oct 18th to Oct12th but whatever, I'll be in Disney and that's what counts!
I hope your October trip happens for you!

The server should tell you what's on the secret menu but its the cheese bread and a fish dish for an entrée at least that is what it was for us.

Wine Bar George

Back at the room, my husband headed to the fitness center for a run. I relaxed and napped as I enjoy those things on vacation! Eventually it became time for us to head to Disney Springs. We needed to visit the Lego Store as I made a mistake redeeming my VIP points earlier in the month and ended up with $20 that could only be used in store or on the phone ordering that would expire in September. So I bought the International Space Station and the Tie Fighter Pilot Helmet builds along with getting that annual pass discount on them!

Disney Springs was crowded and we were rather over it so we checked in early to our dining reservation where they said, we could only seat us if we were sitting upstairs on the patio. Perfect for me! I rather sit out there anyway given the current environment. I liked how they provided both of us with a small paper bag to place our masks inside. They are the first restaurant I’ve seen do that but I like it!

LWU4tHS.jpg

Bag for Mask

I let my husband pick out the bottle of wine that we would get. We settled on a bottle of Leviathan 2018. Leviathan was founded in 2004 by the former winemaker of Screaming Eagle Winery. Supposedly it has similar notes as Screaming Eagle but as that wine is too expensive for me to ever get my hands on, I’ll just pretend that it's true. I really enjoyed the wine either way as it wasn’t too heavy for outdoor dining but held up to our food choices well.

ISoR1yl.jpg

Leviathan

We started with the cheese plate with manchego, an english cheddar and gouda. We really enjoyed this selection of cheeses with the breads, honey and almonds and it was a nice light start to the meal.

1XMjb86.jpg

Cheese Board

For our entree, we shared the tomahawk steak. While this steak was very good, I’m not sure we would get it again. It was a lot of meat and there were lots of fatty pieces but I know that is part of the cut. We’re more filet people than ribeye people in general. The potatoes were amazing and I really enjoyed the pepper bacon relish. We did box up the pieces and had really happy puppies in the days following as we gave them a piece here and there. It paired nicely with the wine as well.

7ZFeLIK.jpg

Tomahawk Steak - 36 ounces with pepper bacon relish & salt crusted purple potatoes

After dinner, we passed on dessert and headed back to the room. Disney Springs was a mess of people and we didn’t want to deal with it any longer.

The next morning, we packed up the room and were ready to head to Animal Kingdom around 7:30AM and said goodbye to our room and hotel.

hLti8jE.jpg

Goodbye Bay Lake Tower

As we stopped at the gas station, we noticed the sky getting really dark around us. With that, I looked at the weather app and saw the direction and size of the storm was coming in. We looked at each other and said, nevermind, and headed home. We didn’t want to spend our 4 hours in the park in the rain and then have to drive 3+ hours home in wet clothes. That sounded miserable and we knew we would be back about 2 months later.

vV5dn5c.png

Change of Plans

You know who was a fan of the change of plans? Gantu and Gaston! We were able to make the morning pick up hours at the boarding kennel and save us some money.​

Yum, that cheese board and steak look delicious! I would so love to try Screaming Eagle some day but don't want to have to take out a loan to do it (assuming I could even get my hands on a bottle!). Great review as always :)

LOOKS YUMMY!!!! We are still ON for our trip to Disney in 12 days!!! We were going to try Wine Bar George for the first time on this trip but I nixed it after hearing all of the stories of how crowded DS has been so instead of taking 2 dinner trips out that way we're just sticking with one and doing Homecoming. We ate there for the first time in Feb 19 but DH and I were both getting over bad colds, our taste buds were off AND they sat us on the back patio (which at the time was NOT inclosed and air conditioned) and that night was crazy humid and our heads instantly clogged and we could not taste the food!

So...DH has requested that as a do-over....

We've wondered about that steak at WBG - that's a lot of beef!!!

the weather has me a tad worried about our trip - there has been a lot of rain lately and my DH will not be as fond in tackling a park in the rain as I would - but I have to keep in mind that this is a bonus trip and we still have Dec and then Feb!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!