What are you grateful for?

I'm grateful for many things, but technology (and, in particular, Internet access) sticks out to me just now. I can't imagine living through this without the endless entertainment, ease of socialization, ability to work from home, and access to current information that the Internet provides.

I’m grateful for family, for the ability to work from home, for so many social connections thanks to the internet, for so much good entertainment available at home, and for spring! I’m also thankful for just straight up luck that we planned our Disney trip this year for February. We had a trip full of magic and are so grateful for the memories.

I'm trying to keep things light, since I'm hoping it's obvious that there are so many more critical things for which I'm grateful (good health, a home, good jobs- a situation that I pray stays this way, family, etc.). Here goes...

-I'm grateful for a governor allowing mixed drink deliveries...gallons of margaritas at the door!
-I'm grateful for the otters that have taken up residence in our part of town.
-I'm grateful for that new car smell...yeah, I bought a new vehicle the other week (out of need).
-I'm grateful for dogs...they are really good comic relief and snuggles. I'd like to say they don't talk back (like the human kids), but our border collie is a talker.
-I know I said I'd keep it light, but I'm grateful that I'm a turkey hoarder. Every year, around Thanksgiving (when turkeys are super cheap), I stock up on them so that we can have turkey a number of times per year and it may come in really handy this year.

I'm grateful that the older I get, the less materialistic I become. Our last trip to Disney, I don't think we bought any souvenirs. We saw plenty of cool things, but it's like, we don't need them.

Another thing I'm grateful for...delivery drives. UPS, USPS, UberEats, etc. I usually put a basket of water and treats out for them at Christmas time since they're probably at our house every other day and sometimes working until 8PM so I decided to do the same again. My little hand written note is just saying thanks again and to reassure them that we're all currently healthy so they don't have to worry about taking anything. If I could hand out sanitizer I would, but we're on our last bottle and last can of wipes.

Also, don't mind my dog peeping on the outside world.

So I already posted about my family and all that sort of stuff but did want to make special note that I am thankful for the company I work for

We had regular Business Continuity tests so we are structured and set up to be fully operational when working from home (been no technology issues or anything)
Our provided healthcare notified us they are waiving and copays, etc. related to Coiv-19 testing/care
They have added additional resources for working from home and mental health support and even little things like we just got a note about providing resources to help with having the kids home with you two and sharing tips and stuff

This is on top of having things like having set up training and education programs in developing countries and we have the largest solar field in the county.

No place is perfect but it definitely helps in times like this when you feel like your employer has your back and wants you to deal with things as best as you can

(A King Llama post that is actually serious and is NOT about secretly being Bob Iger or my seething hatred of Duffy)

I'm thankful for Zoom, and here's why....

My parents are in their mid-70's. Both of them have underlying health issues. My dad has fallen repeatedly over the past year and had a procedure a few months ago that has helped his balance/strength, but has also had heart issues in the past. My mom has a unique form of Alzheimer's that has left her essentially blind. They are both already isolated at home anyway, because it's just too hard to get my mom out of the house. One, it takes an hour to get her fully ready, and two, she never wants to go anywhere anymore because she can't see anything anyway (so there's depression kicking in too, most likely).

Obviously, I haven't been able to be around them. I've spent time on their front porch, leaving groceries/medicine for them and talking to them through their front door. But still, to not be able to hug your own parents is pretty terrible, and there's only so much communicating that can be done through a front door when their hearing isn't great anyway.

Last night, my sister-in-law held a birthday party for my nephew, who was turning 3. And she did it via Zoom so that everyone could "participate". I tried all day to talk my dad through the steps of installing/using Zoom, and I thought he had given up. But somehow, some way, he figured out how to install/use it, and joined at the exact right time. And to see the look on his face and my mom's face when they realize they could have actual, real-time, visual interaction with people was VERY cool. It even helped that my mom could sit close to the screen so that she could make out who was talking and what was happening.

Technology, especially social media, has made our lives worse in several ways. I feel strongly about this, even though I am on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. But when it does GOOD things, the good far outweighs the bad. So for technology, at least for one night, I am thankful.

And now, I shall go back to posting about secretly being Bob Iger and not-so-secretly hating Duffy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!