What are you learning about your partner/spouse/roommate/kids that you didn't know before?

WebmasterJohn

Genius
Administrator
I've said this many times already but Kevin and I have been practicing 'social distancing' for years!! We have lived together, worked together and played together for almost 20 years now. We spend every minute of every day together. That's not an exaggeration!! Except for the occasional doctors appointment or a quick run out for fast food we're always together.

This got me thinking what it must be like for couples/families/people who don't usually spend this much time together - how is that affecting their relationships and changing their lives.

So my question to you all...if you are social distancing and spending more time in your homes with the closest people in your lives what is something you've learned that you never knew before about them? It doesn't have to be something embarrassing but if it is that would make my day a little brighter.

Told a friend last night I don’t go to a certain business. She was why what is wrong with them.
I Replied that for the most part I only go to 6 places.

Walmart
Hy-Vee
Costco
Bakers
Work
Orlando.

Interesting question and I'll be amused I'm sure by some of the answers.

Val & I have been together for ~25 years, with our 23rd wedding anniversary just a few weeks away. I've been retired for 8 years now so we are also together pretty much 24/7.

Can't say I've learned much new since the advent of the current health crisis, but I have gotten better at gauging her moods. Still doesn't keep me from saying the wrong thing though....

This morning, we were in the ice cream section of the store and dh asks if I was willing to try coffee again. I only liked the Dunkin Donuts iced mocha drink that was around in 1996-early 1998 when I was working retail in Northern VA and only really 4 malls that I would have it or similar (Pentagon City, Tyson Corners, Landmark, and Springfield).

Oh - and don't know if there are any other "solos" out there, but what I am learning about MYSELF is that I actually enjoy my own company, and know how to occupy, and amuse myself. It's definitely a learned skill, and one I am glad I learned a long time ago, and definitely putting into increased use now.

But - as always - I am grateful for the world of social media, streaming, cable TV, whatever - that there is so much out there that I CAN "interact" with other humans (although oh an admittedly limited basis) on a regular basis, if i choose to. I said on another thread - being ALONE and being LONELY are two VASTLY different things. I am ALONE quite a bit, but rarely LONELY. If you are ALONE, I hope you learn that you CAN be solitary, and not be LONELY.

My parents live with me, but I work during the day. Today I learned that when I come home from work and see my dad in his lounging sweatpants, it's not because he just changed. It's because he woke up that way and never got dressed. :rolleyes1

And it's just day 1 of my two week work from home shift.... sigh.

How much my husband absolutely can’t stand just being around the house. We’re only on day 3 today and he was already getting grumpy yesterday. It doesn’t help that it’s been raining as well. I think the fact that he knows he can’t just go run errands at will is making it more intense for him, and I think I need to come up with a chore list for him to do between work calls so he doesn’t go crazy.

My kids (6 and almost 3) NEVER stop eating!!! I thought I didn't have to worry about this until teenage years, but man oh man. A bag of cookies, popcorn and chips almost all gone and we're only on day 3!! Needless to say the junk food will be moved to a higher shelf in the pantry 🤦‍♀️.

You opened the door...

I can't broach on creation and the proof of scientific data that supports per website guidelines. But, this time away reinforced the naturalism of creation without prejudice of fear to my family.

I've learned that supernatural thinking is perfectly reasonable in times like this.

Last edited:
I haven’t learned much new about my husband, ( we’ve been married 30+ years) but watching him work from home gave me a little insight into how focused he is at work. He can program, communicate with others on his team and have the kittens crawl over him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter