What are your "Not to be Missed" tips?

Rellyrooly

I earned my ears years ago....
Hello All!

We are WDW frequent travelers but this will be our first time at DL. We have our favorite "not to be missed" restaurants, attractions, etc at WDW but have no idea what is not to be missed at DL. Please advise...

1. What are your favorite restaurant/eateries in DL or CA Adventure?
2. Any well kept secrets you want to share?
3. Favorite entertainment?
4. Anything not to be missed outside the parks? (We are staying off property)

Any and all advice/tips would be great! We are leaving on 3/16/06. Can't wait!!! :yay:

1. Food -- The Blue Bayou will be closed when you are there, unfortuneately. Disneyland doesn't have the same huge choice of dining options that WDW does. I do like Red Rocket's Pizza Port and Rancho del Zocalo. Also bacon wrapped asparagus at the Bengal BBQ.

2. Entertainment/Rides:
Aladdin show at DCA
Fantasmic (good for a comparison)
Space Mountain (WDW's version really sucks)
Soarin Over California
California Screamin
Animation building in DCA
Storybook Canal Ride
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Mr. Toad (the above 3 are not at WDW)
Splash Mountain
Indiana Jones

I am sure there is more!

This is the exact info I am looking for, so with your permission I will steal :rotfl2: the recommendations you get. pirate: pirate:

Kristen-

I heard the Blue Bayou is a go to spot. Why will it be closed when I am there? Are they renovating or something? What is so good about about? Curious minds...lol

and Pirates has closed to insert the Johnny Depp character. It is not scheduled to reopen until later June just before the new Pirate movie premieres. They closed the restaurant as well. I am going in April and I am also sad that I cannot eat there!

It is off to the side when the Pirate boats go through the Bayou scene. It is a lovely place to relax from the heat, and the food is fabulous! There are precious few table service restaurants, and this is one of them. Now we will have to try another.

My 2 faviorate things from DL is the Aladdin show and POTC. I am not a roller coaster fan, but if I was Space Mountain would be on the list(I did go on it since it's been refurbished and I can see why people like it)
Can't help you on food, at DL we just stopped and ate when we were hungry and didn't pay attention to the restaraunts like at WDW.

Jeni

Our family faves are Indiana Jones, Star Tours and BTMRR.

Blue Bayou is my favorite place to eat. The Monte Cristo is pure joy!!! Unfortunately it won't be open this week when we are there.

Good Luck with your trip planning!!! :wave2:

Now I guess I am going to have to break it to the kiddos that their favorite ride is closed...What other closures are there and is there a place to go and check that?

If you check the calandar on the Disneyland website, it will tell you what rides will be closed. For instance, when we were there just after President's weekend, the haunted mansion was closed -- at least we knew in advance and weren't so disappointed when we got there.
As far as restaurants -- someone mentioned Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland -- yummy mexican. Alot of people like the Bengal BBQ, the burger place in Critter country, and the eateries in New Orleans square. The Carnation cafe takes reservations thru disney dining and they have "homey" type food -- also Plaza Inn is a fave.
In DCA -- we loved the Princess Celebration lunch at Ariel's Grotto (character meal). The Wharf Cafe is good -- salads and soups in sourdough bread bowls and sandwiches too. Oh - and yummy ice cream places.
I don't know if you have boys or girls or what ages --
but our little girls loved the Princess storytime at the Once Upon A Time Princess shop outside the castle princess: They have shows at 11:30, 12:30 and 1:30 -- you can check the shop to see what princess will be at what time. Also, they loved the Aladdin and Jasmine storytime (this is a 30 minute play rather than just a storytime) at Aladdin's Oasis in Adventureland. Really well done and cute.
In DCA -- there is Soarin over California and the Aladdin Musical. My kids liked the Turtle talk with crush and Bug's Land. (for tinies). They also have a Monsters Inc ride. There is a place where you can find out your totem like in Brother Bear.
You can always check out some guide books from the library or go buy them "The Unofficial guide to Disneyland" or "The Official Guide to Disneyland" -- they give descriptions of all the rides, shops, and restaurants, as well as Downtown Disney (lots of fun places to eat there, too).
have fun :cheer2:

Definitely do not miss Aladdin! it is amazing! DCA
soarin over cali! DCA
california scream DCA

Dland, fireworks! thundermountain railroad, but you want the back.
innoventions.

Didn't catch ages of kids, but if you have any young young ones, they have a wonderful babycenter on mainstreet by the picture store.

if you have youngins that won't ride rides of course there is the parent swap. .. tell them at the ride you are doing a parent swap.

of course, it's a small world is a must and the tiki room (sit on one of the back benches).

All of the above - but wanted to add the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail - we love it over there!

Everyone is right, the Aladdin show is the best. Billy Hill and the Hill Billys is the show to see in DL. It is in the corral. It is a great place to get lunch and laugh your head off. Get there early and grab a seat against the rail upstairs, best seats in the house. If you have a DL credit card you can go to Ariels Grotto in DCA and get a free Pic w/ Mickey. It is only on certain days so check it out, also, don't miss the 50 yEARs show in Lincoln's Theater, my whole family left in tears. The turkey legs are to kill for. You can get them in a few of the food stands, mainly near SW. Have a great time, we are going in three weeks.

My fave thing in either park: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies. Who needs rides or other shows when I've got my favorite set of musical brothers.

iceskatejen said:
My fave thing in either park: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies. Who needs rides or other shows when I've got my favorite set of musical brothers.

Is this a comedy type show?

Me and my kids LOVE Brother Bear, and DCA has an area that the kids can play (ropes, slides, caves, etc) with a Brother Bear show. We spend about 3 hours here usually.

Also, don't miss HM and Matterhorn. Monsters Inc. is new (haven't done it yet) but I would hit that too.

At DTD Napoli has great pizza and sandwiches, we also LOVE Carnation Cafe. have fun!

cfrith said:
Is this a comedy type show?

Here's the description from the DL Times Guide:

Musical madness that's one part rock 'n' roll, one part bluegrass & ten parts comedy.

Yes, it's funny. The music is great. They guys are very talented (and absolute sweethearts). Just know that if you sit near the stage, you are likely to be picked on.

We love the fried chicken at plaza inn........they give you the option of eating indoors there so it is great if it rains. dont forget to visit Mickey's house at toontown !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter