What are your plans for Father's Day?

For my dad (after we pass custody on Sunday) My mom and I are cooking a super southern meal Sunday evening my dad and husband...fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, fried okra (no, we never eat like this, but on Father's Day and a couple of joint birthdays, I recognize this sounds terrible), southern potatoes, biscuits, gravy, quick pickle cucumbers and fresh tomatoes we're hoping are in at the farmer's market. We're all going out to Ruth Chris next Saturday to celebrate them both in a more adult way.

This is the first time I'm with a partner to celebrate Father's Day. Got the cards, getting all the stuff for a smoked salmon type breakfast spread for that morning and of course, bloody mary's (not for the kids though). Then he wants a simple pool day with his children, so that's done. It's our weekend anyway with the kids, so we've got plans for Saturday that are fun and I'm cooking a big Morroccan feast for us all as soon as we get the kids on Friday. It's kinda an all weekend celebration of Daddy.

I'm really, really terribly excited for this Father's Day. My DH is a great dad; his children are a boon to my life in a way I could have never known, and I'm a little sentimental about this first Father's Day. Now I think there's something in my eye as I think about it again.

ETA: Also sorry to hear of those that this, or any holiday, hurts.

My DH would LOVE your super southern meal!

DH's dad passed away in early April of this year. So this is DH's first Father's Day w/o his dad, & he's really trying not to think about the day. Plus, he's working all weekend, so we really don't have anything special planned. (However, we're leaving for the beach this Wednesday.)

After DH leaves for work tomorrow evening, the kids & I are going to have dinner w/ my parents.

However, I still got cards for DH from the kids & me. I also had a wooden picture frame w/ 2 openings engraved w/ the phrase "It's a love without end... Amen" from the George Strait song about a father's love. In one of the openings, I put an old photo of DH's dad w/ DH & his 3 brothers when they were little boys, &, in the other opening, I put a photo of DH w/ our 3 kids.

DH's dad had an old shotgun that DH would like to have. I would love to have surprised him w/ it, but I don't know how to ask his mom for it.

My girls and I are taking my DH to a brunch buffet at his fave restaurant and then in the afternoon all of us and my mom and step dad are going to see Incredibles

For my dad (after we pass custody on Sunday) My mom and I are cooking a super southern meal Sunday evening my dad and husband...fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, fried okra (no, we never eat like this, but on Father's Day and a couple of joint birthdays, I recognize this sounds terrible), southern potatoes, biscuits, gravy, quick pickle cucumbers and fresh tomatoes we're hoping are in at the farmer's market. We're all going out to Ruth Chris next Saturday to celebrate them both in a more adult way.

This is the first time I'm with a partner to celebrate Father's Day. Got the cards, getting all the stuff for a smoked salmon type breakfast spread for that morning and of course, bloody mary's (not for the kids though). Then he wants a simple pool day with his children, so that's done. It's our weekend anyway with the kids, so we've got plans for Saturday that are fun and I'm cooking a big Morroccan feast for us all as soon as we get the kids on Friday. It's kinda an all weekend celebration of Daddy.

I'm really, really terribly excited for this Father's Day. My DH is a great dad; his children are a boon to my life in a way I could have never known, and I'm a little sentimental about this first Father's Day. Now I think there's something in my eye as I think about it again.

ETA: Also sorry to hear of those that this, or any holiday, hurts.

OT, but do you have any easy, healthy Morroccan recipes to share. I love making new dishes, but my health prevents me from spending a lot of time on my feet. If you have any quick & easy recipes you wouldn't mind sharing, please PM me.

FWIW, I'm with Wendy. That southern meal sounds great! I've never heard of quick pickle cucumbers. My Mom always canned dill & bread & butter pickles, along with other pickled veggies. I'm not a canner, but I'm definitely going to look up the quick pickle recipe. We eat a lot of pickles.

We decided we're going to go see the Incredibles, also. It's going to be super hot, so unless you're at a pool you're not going to want to be outside. We'll get pizza afterwards. I made my DH his favorite dessert for later, Lemon Lasagna:love:

My dad died 21 years ago. Seems like forever. Father's Day and Mother's Day are both difficult since both my parents are gone.

Both of our parents are deceased, so the focus is on DH. We don't live near family.
I am fixing one of DH's favorite dishes - Shrimp & Grits. That is all he wants.

We have a jam packed day.

10k, brunch with my wife and son, home to mow and do some work for graduate school, then off to my nephew's birthday.

At some point in the evening I want to watch the World Cup which means avoiding scores all day.

Monday starts a regulatory examination and I have a conference out if town so it will not be fun.

@amberpi, sorry I'm going OT again :o, but I looked up the pickle recipe. What vinegar & additives do you use? I want to make some pickles this week. I want to experiment with different vinegars & additives eventually, but wonder what I should start with.

My father passed away many years ago. I invited myself to my adult son's house as my 4 kids are having a potluck for their dad. My oldest daughter who was paralyzed last year is riding the paratransit from her skilled facility so that's pretty much why I'm going.

My father and my husband are both deceased and my son is working today. I am invited to my nephew’s for a BBQ, but I will be sitting inside as it is going to be 96 degrees here today. My youngest nephew became a father two weeks ago, so I will meet his baby son today. I am looking forward to that. It will be a nice day in spite of the heat.

My dh slept in, OK someone, um...me, was up at 5 so that woke him but we both fell back to sleep.

I worked for a bit out of the house and then finished in the house, he showered at about 1, I stopped by my work to drop stuff off (visiting nurse) then I went to the grocery store.

Followed by a fun filled afternoon of netting the blueberry bushes before the birds get them, he mowed the lawn and cooked us steak->he cooks it better then me!

Just a regular day here.

@amberpi, sorry I'm going OT again :o, but I looked up the pickle recipe. What vinegar & additives do you use? I want to make some pickles this week. I want to experiment with different vinegars & additives eventually, but wonder what I should start with.

I use Apple Cider Vinegar and coat the peeled cucumbers in salt and let them sit for a bit and then wash them. The salt takes some of the harshness out of the cucumbers and is the key piece of the quick pickling. It also makes the texture just right, still crisp but not too much so. Regarding additives, you do you, but I like a tiny bit of all spice...it's like it makes the pickles mediterranean super fast. My mom makes her pickles sweeter and puts a bit of brown sugar or honey in them. Who knows what you *should* do.

OT, but do you have any easy, healthy Morroccan recipes to share. I love making new dishes, but my health prevents me from spending a lot of time on my feet. If you have any quick & easy recipes you wouldn't mind sharing, please PM me.

FWIW, I'm with Wendy. That southern meal sounds great! I've never heard of quick pickle cucumbers. My Mom always canned dill & bread & butter pickles, along with other pickled veggies. I'm not a canner, but I'm definitely going to look up the quick pickle recipe. We eat a lot of pickles.

Healthy, yes. Easy? Debatable...lol. The chicken kebabs I made are SUPER easy though. Cut up some boneless skinless chicken breasts, coat them in plain greek yogurt with tumeric, salt, all spice, cumin, pepper and grill or saute them. SO very good, and honestly, pretty easy. The yogurt makes the chicken so moist!

I make a couscous salad that's easy too. Take a couscous boxed recipe and a head of fresh parsley. Make the couscous and sit it in the fridge. Chop up the couscous. Mix them together with salt, lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, and some diced tomatoes and you've got salad gold. My mom puts golden raisens in place of the tomatoes for a sweeter (but not terribly sweet) version.

BTW: Even my 2.5 and 4 year old will eat both of these, so I think that's pretty strong.

I use Apple Cider Vinegar and coat the peeled cucumbers in salt and let them sit for a bit and then wash them. The salt takes some of the harshness out of the cucumbers and is the key piece of the quick pickling. It also makes the texture just right, still crisp but not too much so. Regarding additives, you do you, but I like a tiny bit of all spice...it's like it makes the pickles mediterranean super fast. My mom makes her pickles sweeter and puts a bit of brown sugar or honey in them. Who knows what you *should* do.

Thanks so much for both replies. We'll try anything. I'll start with your recipe & experiment in the future.

Healthy, yes. Easy? Debatable...lol. The chicken kebabs I made are SUPER easy though. Cut up some boneless skinless chicken breasts, coat them in plain greek yogurt with tumeric, salt, all spice, cumin, pepper and grill or saute them. SO very good, and honestly, pretty easy. The yogurt makes the chicken so moist!

I make a couscous salad that's easy too. Take a couscous boxed recipe and a head of fresh parsley. Make the couscous and sit it in the fridge. Chop up the couscous. Mix them together with salt, lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, and some diced tomatoes and you've got salad gold. My mom puts golden raisens in place of the tomatoes for a sweeter (but not terribly sweet) version.

BTW: Even my 2.5 and 4 year old will eat both of these, so I think that's pretty strong.

Those both sound great & not too hard. I'm adding this to the menu this week. Like you, we would prefer the tomatoes.

My brother in law has a weekend home on Lake Erie, so we spent the weekend there and hung out on the beach and rode jet skis. I don't live near my parents so unfortunately didn't see my own dad - they are visiting this weekend for my daughter's birthday though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter