What can I do about my upcoming August DVC points?

Ailsa

Earning My Ears
We were supposed to spend two weeks at end the end of August in DVC accommodation with the first week at AKV and the second week at BCV. I have just been advised by TUI that there will be no long haul flights out of the UK in 2020 (because you can't expect passengers to wear face masks the entire time). Add to that the ban on incoming visitors to the USA from UK and the 14 day quarantine obligation, it makes our August trip impossible. This creates a problem for me as my use year is September (we were crossing a use year for this trip) and we've banked, borrowed and purchased one time use points to make this trip.

I am trying to re-book a trip for 2021 and I will need all available points to do this. I eventually got through to member services after 3 days of trying to be told that I will lose the one time use points and any banked points from 2019 if I cancel because the parks will be open in August. There are no exceptions for people who live overseas. It leaves me with 23 points that expire at the end of August 2020 and they are non transferable! I was just wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience and if there was anything I could do about it?

We are in a similar position. Due to fly out om 8/8/2020 for 2 and a half weeks. Banked 200 pts from 2018, 200 in use from 2019 and 193 borrowed from 2020. Online chat with member services today and I can get my 2020 points back but the other 400 will return to my current use year and expire as normal. Problem is our use year is September which means all 400 will expire on 31st August this year if we don't go. We are flying with BA and they have only cancelled up until 31st July at the moment. Nothing has been mentioned about there being no long haul flights and apparently Virgin are planning to fly from 20th July.

The only option DVC gave us was to bank the 400 points into RCI which will then give us 2 years to use them elsewhere.

Other than that the only option we have is to try and rent out the 400 points or rent our existing reservation. It's a nightmare:sad:

Sorry, I feel like I jumped on your post. Your best option would be to also try and rent your 23 points. Good luck!

If I get stuck with unusable points which I might as I think trips in 2021 will still be dodgy I'm going to dump them into RCI. A few good places to go for us in Scotland or Cumbria with RCI.

We are in a similar position. Due to fly out om 8/8/2020 for 2 and a half weeks. Banked 200 pts from 2018, 200 in use from 2019 and 193 borrowed from 2020. Online chat with member services today and I can get my 2020 points back but the other 400 will return to my current use year and expire as normal. Problem is our use year is September which means all 400 will expire on 31st August this year if we don't go. We are flying with BA and they have only cancelled up until 31st July at the moment. Nothing has been mentioned about there being no long haul flights and apparently Virgin are planning to fly from 20th July.

The only option DVC gave us was to bank the 400 points into RCI which will then give us 2 years to use them elsewhere.

Other than that the only option we have is to try and rent out the 400 points or rent our existing reservation. It's a nightmare:sad:

Sorry, I feel like I jumped on your post. Your best option would be to also try and rent your 23 points. Good luck!

That's a lot of points to lose. Luckily (or unluckily) I had borrowed from 2021 so they can be put back and they will let me bank 2020 points. It's the one time use points I'm annoyed about because they won't refund them and won't let me transfer them.

A friend of mine is an airhostess for TUI and that's where I heard about them cancelling all long haul flights for the rest of the year. As it stands my flight hasn't been cancelled but they've said I can re-book to another date. I think it's going to have to be October 2021 (we also have September use year) but the flights aren't out for that yet.

I heard that TUI (sorry, that's the only info I have) are starting to fly to Europe soon and Majorca looks like a good deal. Perhaps you can use RCI points there. Not the same when you've bought at Disney, I know!

If I get stuck with unusable points which I might as I think trips in 2021 will still be dodgy I'm going to dump them into RCI. A few good places to go for us in Scotland or Cumbria with RCI.
That could be a good option if flights are out of the question. I didn't realise they had places in the UK. With any luck we will be allowed into Scotland soon.

We are in same position for our cancelled June trip with 360 points banked from use year Dec 2018 now expiring 30 November 2020. I have placed them with David's and although I have been successful in renting these previously, I am not holding out much hope this time! I wasn't aware of the RCI option. Can you possibly clarify? Can these points be moved into RCI and if so when would they have to be used by?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!