What do you feel it will be like for us when WDW opens again using our mobility wheelchairs & scooters?

@RaySharpton Thanks for sharing this detailed account. It seems WDW has relaxed social distancing with these new bus zones - a point that may be important for some folks deciding whether to use WDW buses. Previously, the seats across from you would only be occupied by own party, now those are a different zone for a different party to use. The bus aisles can't be 6 feet wide.

Friendship Boats Are Currently Testing at Disney World! - PHOTOS AND VIDEO - DFB Robin Burks - October 18, 2020.

We’ve always loved traveling on the Friendship Boats on Crescent Lake that stop at EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Boardwalk Resort, Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Resorts, and the Swan and Dolphin Hotels. There’s just something so leisurely and relaxing about riding a boat around Disney World.

Cresent Lake Friendship Boat

However, one of our Instagram followers, @houseofflores, sent us some video and photos of the Friendship Boats spotted on Crescent Lake TODAY!

Friendship Boat on Crescent Lake ©houseofflores

Even better — we spoke with a Cast Member who confirmed that Disney World is currently testing the boats. Although there isn’t a date set for when the boats will reopen for guests, we were told it should be soon.

Friendship Boat on Crescent Lake ©houseofflores

Here’s a video of the boat running on Crescent Lake:

Here are some older photos of seating for reopened and physical distancing.

Last edited:
Here’s Where You Can Get FREE Water Right NOW in Magic Kingdom! - DFB - Robin Burks - October 19, 2020

When it comes to visiting Disney World, one of our top pieces of advice is to STAY HYDRATED! Seriously, it can get hot in Florida, and it’s important to make sure you’re drinking plenty of water!

And although we’ve always suggested taking advantage of free water at the parks (because, yes, you can get FREE water), we found out last week that this has changed, at least as to where you can get that water! Therefore, we compiled a list of all the spots you can easily snag that much needed free water!

Disney World is doing what they can to enforce social distancing guidelines throughout the parks. So as of right now, free water isn’t readily available at certain locations that tend to have longer lines and get busy, particularly at specific times of the day.

Free Water at Starbucks

Free Water at Storybook Treats

A list of where you can get free water RIGHT NOW in Magic Kingdom.

Gaston’s Tavern
Storybook Treats
Friar Nook’s
Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Goodies

The Lunching Pad
Sunshine Tree Terrace
Westward Ho Refreshments
Sleepy Hollow Refreshments
Popcorn Cart
Churro Cart
Main Street Bakery

We also double-checked at Pinocchio Village Haus, Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe, and Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe, and they all directed us to these other locations. We will continue to update this post as more locations become available.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s What You Need To Know About Disney World’s Refillable Water Bottle Stations! - DFB Sarah -

In just the past few years, Walt Disney World began installing refillable bottle stations (officially called hydration stations) in its Parks and Resorts. To date there aren’t many, but with the many pushes Disney is making to be more eco-conscious (see their controversial plastic plans here!), we expect more will be installed in the future. And lots of readers have expressed interest in these stations, so we’re here with answers for all of your refillable bottle station questions!

What are refillable bottle stations?
These are water fountains specifically designed to refill bottles. Whether you bring your own water bottle into the Parks or want to reuse a water bottle you bought in your Park travels, these refillable bottle stations make it possible to refill your bottles without having to do that comical and unfruitful bottle tilt at a typical water fountain.

Where can I find these wonders of bottle filling technology?
Presently we’ve confirmed only eight refillable bottle stations, but it feels like there’s more being added on the regular. Some of the earliest were spotted in the queues of Nav’i River Journey and Flight of Passage in Animal Kingdom’s Pandora. These are accessible only to those waiting in line. We’ve also spotted a station at the Hollywood Studios bus stop and Skyliner restrooms. Inside Hollywood Studios, the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge also has a refillable water bottle station.[/QUOTE]

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Water Bottle Refill Station

Readers have noted that there’s one at the Kidani Village bus stop at Animal Kingdom Lodge, while Cosmic Ray’s in Magic Kingdom, the Odyssey building at Epcot as well as at the new restrooms which just opened between Future World and World Showcase also have one. At present, these hydration stations are not noted on Guide Maps.

How do they work?
Refillable bottle stations are designed to send a single stream of water into the mouth of your water bottle without touching the bottle. There’s an outline of a bottle in the filling station that has a sensor. This sensor recognizes when you hold or place a bottle in front of it. Once the sensor senses a bottle is in place, it will automatically send that stream of water into the bottle. As long as you’ve aligned the bottle correctly, it should fill quickly without splashing.

What if I like ice cold water?
We have found that the water in the refillable stations is cool (but not cold). So if you’re fine with slightly-cooler-than-lukewarm water, you’re set to go. If you prefer freezing cold water, you may want to find a nearby quick service location that will give you a (free) cup of ice that you can dump into your bottle if it has a wide enough mouth. But hey — in zillion degree weather in Orlando, just about any water is better than no water.[/QUOTE]

Flight of Passage Refillable Water Bottle Station

Readers have noted that there’s one at the Kidani Village bus stop at Animal Kingdom Lodge, while Cosmic Ray’s in Magic Kingdom, the Odyssey building at Epcot as well as at the new restrooms which just opened between Future World and World Showcase also have one. At present, these hydration stations are not noted on Guide Maps.

Refillable Water Bottle Station at Epcot’s New Restrooms

Do I need a bottle with a filter?
The refillable bottle stations do filter the water that is dispensed into bottles. However, in our experience, the water still has that distinctive central Florida taste. So if you can’t stomach that iconic flavor, you’ll want to bring a filtered bottle that helps eliminate it or bring along flavor packets for your water (which you can buy at any grocery store and bring along with you, or order from a grocery delivery service).[/QUOTE]

Why would I use one of these?
For starters, they typically refill a bottle efficiently and without wasting as much water as the tip-a-bottle-in-a-water-fountain approach. They also don’t have quite as much danger of someone’s mouth just having touched the spout as water fountains do. But also, the refillable bottle stations keep a tally of how many plastic bottles have been saved by utilizing the refill station, and that’s a great thing for the environment.[/QUOTE]

Refillable Water Bottle Station at Cosmic Ray’s

Last edited:
Your welcome.

I know right.

I saw them remove those companion seats, especially for those that want to get off their mobility scooter and sit in a bus seat. I hope they offer another zone to sit in.

I agree.

I'm still going to use the WDW buses in December. But that's my choice.

I updated the thread after I received an update from DFB telling how the WDW orange seat bus with 6-zones will change to 10-zones since they didn't take photos of the all front seats.

She also told me how the bus loading should work.

Here is my link.

New Disney Bus Seating Arrangement Accommodates More Small Groups - PHOTOS - DFB Kelly Scott - October 17, 2020.

@RaySharpton Thanks for sharing this detailed account. It seems WDW has relaxed social distancing with these new bus zones - a point that may be important for some folks deciding whether to use WDW buses. Previously, the seats across from you would only be occupied by own party, now those are a different zone for a different party to use. The bus aisles can't be 6 feet wide.

Last edited:

I'm back from my stay at the Yacht Club. I really enjoyed the resort. We even got Pixie dust with an upgrade to a Water View room from our previous choice of a Garden View. Although the view was nice, we were 1 room away from being the farthest from the lobby (#1003). Thank goodness I had my ECV. We did not use Magical Express. Instead we splurged and got a limo from Happy Limo. We took the bus to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. At the resort, rather than waiting at the designated wheelchair/scooter box, we waited in the queue with everyone else. The driver would load the back of the bus first. All seating sections were utilized. No people standing though. Then I would roll up the ramp and then he loaded the remainder of the bus. The drivers always asked groups the number in their party and told them a section to sit in. Coming back from those locations to the resorts, it was pretty much the reverse process. However, due to the time that we were leaving the parks and DS, there wasn't a queue so I went ahead and pulled up to the gate entrance for HC.

We rode the Skyliner one night since we hadn't done that before. We took it from International Gateway to Riviera. Walked around Riviera and then rode it back to International Gateway. I completely forgot that Riviera was the station without a "pull-out" lane when we told them that was where we would be getting off. I was really worried about it once I realized it. But let me start from the beginning... the loading process at International Gateway was very easy. The cast member asks where you will be getting off, this is so they can radio ahead to let the station now. Also noticed that cars designated for handicapped have a small mickey icon on the door. They have you pull forward as far as you can. Then the cast member puts blocks behind your rear wheels (like the kind Indy uses when he knocks out the Nazi by the airplane in Raiders of the Lost Ark - just on a smaller scale). Then your companions can board. I think the reason why they don't have people backing in to the gondolas has to do with these blocks. If you were to back in, then the blocks would be against your front wheels. Since the front wheels can move, it's possible that the blocks could be moved out of the way. When we arrived at Riviera, the line slowed down and my sister got off while it was still moving. The cast member then boarded (line slowing down), removed the blocks, and stepped back off of the gondola. The cast member then asked for me to back out. The gondola at this point was essentially stopped by another cast member. I was able to back straight out on turtle speed with no problems. Afterwards the gondola continued at its normal speed. Getting back on at Riviera was also straight forward. The cast member controlling the station slows the line down enough for you to pull straight in (on turtle speed). Once you are on the gondola, the speed increases (almost imperceptibly), while the other cast member puts down the blocks and the rest of your party loads. It's kinda of like being on one of the omni-mover rides in Magic Kingdom, where they can slow it down to give you more time to board. I only use an ECV while at Disney and felt very comfortable during the whole loading and unloading process.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them based on this trip.

Euby, Thank you so much for such a wonderful report.

In my mind, I thought that loading the bus might be like you described.

And The Riviera Skyliner description was very well described.

Thank you so much for the great report.

I'm back from my stay at the Yacht Club. I really enjoyed the resort. We even got Pixie dust with an upgrade to a Water View room from our previous choice of a Garden View. Although the view was nice, we were 1 room away from being the farthest from the lobby (#1003). Thank goodness I had my ECV. We did not use Magical Express. Instead we splurged and got a limo from Happy Limo. We took the bus to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. At the resort, rather than waiting at the designated wheelchair/scooter box, we waited in the queue with everyone else. The driver would load the back of the bus first. All seating sections were utilized. No people standing though. Then I would roll up the ramp and then he loaded the remainder of the bus. The drivers always asked groups the number in their party and told them a section to sit in. Coming back from those locations to the resorts, it was pretty much the reverse process. However, due to the time that we were leaving the parks and DS, there wasn't a queue so I went ahead and pulled up to the gate entrance for HC.

We rode the Skyliner one night since we hadn't done that before. We took it from International Gateway to Riviera. Walked around Riviera and then rode it back to International Gateway. I completely forgot that Riviera was the station without a "pull-out" lane when we told them that was where we would be getting off. I was really worried about it once I realized it. But let me start from the beginning... the loading process at International Gateway was very easy. The cast member asks where you will be getting off, this is so they can radio ahead to let the station now. Also noticed that cars designated for handicapped have a small mickey icon on the door. They have you pull forward as far as you can. Then the cast member puts blocks behind your rear wheels (like the kind Indy uses when he knocks out the Nazi by the airplane in Raiders of the Lost Ark - just on a smaller scale). Then your companions can board. I think the reason why they don't have people backing in to the gondolas has to do with these blocks. If you were to back in, then the blocks would be against your front wheels. Since the front wheels can move, it's possible that the blocks could be moved out of the way. When we arrived at Riviera, the line slowed down and my sister got off while it was still moving. The cast member then boarded (line slowing down), removed the blocks, and stepped back off of the gondola. The cast member then asked for me to back out. The gondola at this point was essentially stopped by another cast member. I was able to back straight out on turtle speed with no problems. Afterwards the gondola continued at its normal speed. Getting back on at Riviera was also straight forward. The cast member controlling the station slows the line down enough for you to pull straight in (on turtle speed). Once you are on the gondola, the speed increases (almost imperceptibly), while the other cast member puts down the blocks and the rest of your party loads. It's kinda of like being on one of the omni-mover rides in Magic Kingdom, where they can slow it down to give you more time to board. I only use an ECV while at Disney and felt very comfortable during the whole loading and unloading process.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them based on this trip.

Did you ever depart a park with long bus queue lines? With the different resorts, bus stops very close to each other at MK & AK, I was wondering how they handled the physical distancing outside a full queue. Especially if the bus stops on either side were also full.

Did only bus drivers load the bus?

Did you have a cast member ever give each group of guests a bus number before boarding the bus?

So they loaded the rear of the bus first, then the mobility scooter, then the rest of the front of the bus?

Did you ever see two mobility scooters load on a bus instead of just one?

When departing the bus, did they reverse the loading process, or did they let the front and rear of the bus exit and the mobility scooter last?

Did you see any difference in entering park attraction ride queues for mobility scooters from pre-covid time? For instance the mobility scooter or entering through the exit that mobility scooters couldn't use the mobility scooter?

Did you ride the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction? I was wondering if the castmember told you to use a wheelchair and use the exit elevator in the shop or did they tell you to use the regular queue?

A lot of questions, right? I was just curious?

Last edited:
Did you ever depart a park with long bus queue lines? With the different resorts, bus stops very close to each other at MK & AK, I was wondering how they handled the physical distancing outside a full queue. Especially if the bus stops on either side were also full.

No. I had scheduled our meals to be as close to park closing as possible to avoid the crowds at the end of the day.

Did only bus drivers load the bus?
Yes, just the driver. I did not see a transportation cast member at the Yacht Club or its bus stops at MK, AK or Springs.

Did you have a cast member ever give each group of guests a bus number before boarding the bus?
The bus driver assigned the seat numbers to the group based on their size. I did see a driver split a group and told them how many to sit in each area.

So they loaded the rear of the bus first, then the mobility scooter, then the rest of the front of the bus?
Correct.

Did you ever see two mobility scooters load on a bus instead of just one?
Sorry, I did not.

When departing the bus, did they reverse the loading process, or did they let the front and rear of the bus exit and the mobility scooter last?
The front and rear exited first and then the scooter last. To be honest though, I was never on what seemed to be a full bus. Plus, everyone had on their masks on the bus.

Did you see any difference in entering park attraction ride queues for mobility scooters from pre-covid time? For instance the mobility scooter or entering through the exit that mobility scooters couldn't use the mobility scooter?
Yes. Haunted Mansion pre-covid allowed you to go through the queue. However, now you have to check with a cast member and get a DAS return time. At your return time, you go through the fast-pass queue and in through the attraction exit. Since I started using a scooter at the parks a few years ago, there has never been a consistent way for ECV users to enter the Haunted Mansion line, so I was already in the mindset to ask the cast member. To be honest, we didn't ride everything. So if you want to know about a particular ride, I'll answer the best I can.

Did you ride the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction? I was wondering if the castmember told you to use a wheelchair and use the exit elevator in the shop or did they tell you to use the regular queue?
Yes, we did. The usual scooter parking area is now part of the queue. The cast member had us go through the exterior queue and when we got to the building entrance, you had to park the scooter and transfer to a wheelchair (which they had several available). The new parking area is in front of what I believe used to be the Pirate's League. I parked my ECV and walked with my cane through the fastpass lane. It was shorter than I remember it being. As in, walk straight through the courtyard into the building, turn twice and you're at the queue merge point just before being assigned a boat.

A lot of questions, right? I was just curious?
Questions are the path to knowledge. Feel free to ask any others that you can think of (especially for specific rides).

Thank you so much, Euby.

I haven't been to the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction in over a decade.

And I want very much to ride it.

I thought about using their wheelchair as a walker, but I chickened out.

I didn't know how many times I would have to stop and sit in the wheelchair and get in the other guests' way in the queue line.

Then I worried if I could still step in and out of the vehicle without falling.

Do you have any tips on to step in and out of the vehicle?

Yes, we did. The usual scooter parking area is now part of the queue. The cast member had us go through the exterior queue and when we got to the building entrance, you had to park the scooter and transfer to a wheelchair (which they had several available). The new parking area is in front of what I believe used to be the Pirate's League. I parked my ECV and walked with my cane through the fastpass lane. It was shorter than I remember it being. As in, walk straight through the courtyard into the building, turn twice and you're at the queue merge point just before being assigned a boat.

Do you have any tips on to step in and out of the vehicle?

I use a cane to help me get in and out. I put the cane on the seat then step with one foot on the seat as well. Then depending on my balance either step onto the floor with the other foot or put it on the seat first and then step down. When I travel with someone, I have them get on first then use their shoulder to brace with while I step onto the seat. Never try to step all the way into the boat. That's why the seats have a non-skid surface (to be used as a step).

Getting out of the boat is just the reverse process. Sometimes though, I have to use the cane to help me to get the right leverage to stand up in the first place. Depending on the ride exit, I have hooked my cane on the lane divider rails and then used the handles to pull myself up with both hands.

The front row of most boats have less leg and foot room than the other rows, so I try to avoid them. Even though I am 5'8", in rows other than the first one, my knees are often right against the seat back in front of me and not much foot space.

Thank you. I may bring two canes this time.

I use a cane to help me get in and out. I put the cane on the seat then step with one foot on the seat as well. Then depending on my balance either step onto the floor with the other foot or put it on the seat first and then step down. When I travel with someone, I have them get on first then use their shoulder to brace with while I step onto the seat. Never try to step all the way into the boat. That's why the seats have a non-skid surface (to be used as a step).

Getting out of the boat is just the reverse process. Sometimes though, I have to use the cane to help me to get the right leverage to stand up in the first place. Depending on the ride exit, I have hooked my cane on the lane divider rails and then used the handles to pull myself up with both hands.

The front row of most boats have less leg and foot room than the other rows, so I try to avoid them. Even though I am 5'8", in rows other than the first one, my knees are often right against the seat back in front of me and not much foot space.

So many New Entertainment Layoffs Affect Epcot Performers - KTP Christina Knerr - October 28, 2020

It keeps getting worse and worse for my annual WDW December trip.

I love all of the December Christmas extras in addition to some of the attraction rides.

But I can't ride like I used to do.

I loved staying until the parks closed enjoying all if the Christmas lights and decorations and music.

I loved all of the Christmas fireworks and shows and parades.

I loved all of the regulars shows.

But now more entertainment is canceled.

Those poor cast members losing their jobs. Merry Christmas Mr. Scrooge.

The pain just keeps on coming. This morning we have learned of two more entertainment acts that have been cut from Disney’s Epcot Theme Park. That’s more of our beloved Cast Members with no jobs and no benefits. Read on for more details.

Disney Entertainment Acts Who Have Returned

Last month, we shared that a few beloved entertainment groups would be returning to Walt Disney World including the Dapper Dans performers and Frozen Sing-A-Long performers.

Disney Entertainment Acts Laid Off

Unfortunately, announcements on social media posts last night, and this morning, have painted a far bleaker picture for the Disney Entertainment Cast Members than many could even fathom to guess.

So far we have learned the following acts have been laid off:

NOW TWO MORE ACTS JOIN THIS TRAGICALLY SAD LIST TODAY.

Turtle Talk with Crush
This one hurts dudes. Not gonna lie, we love Turtle Talk with Crush. The improve interactive shows at Disney are unique and hysterical. We have always walked out with tears in our eyes from laughing so hard.

Back in September, we announced that Turtle Talk with Crush would be closed indefinitely, and now with the announcements of the Cast Member layoffs, it appears that guests have seen the last of our beloved Australian turtle.

Epcot Storytellers
This one really hits home. I loved walking around the World Showcase during the Festival of the Holidays and seeing all the Epcot Storyteller performers. It was such a unique way to learn about other cultures and holiday traditions.

According to posts on Twitter, the Epcot Storytellers were among the 28,000 cast members to be laid off.

“IT’S DEVASTATING TO HEAR SO MANY TALENTED DISNEY ACTORS LOSING THEIR JOBS. THEY HAVE BROUGHT US SO MUCH JOY AND MADE SO MANY AMAZING MEMORIES FOR OUR FAMILY OVER THE YEARS. I PRAY THAT THE FUTURE IS AS BRIGHT AS YOUR TALENT.”

If you are interested, you can donate to the Cast Member Pantry, you can contact the volunteers on Facebook or email castmemberpantry@gmail.com. They are accepting both monetary donations and donations from their Amazon Wishlist.

Actors’ Equity Association Releases Statement
Actors’ Equity Association is a national labor union that represents professional actors and stage managers, including 780 Walt Disney World performers.

Today they have released a statement regarding the massive layoffs after signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Walt Disney World.

“Our hearts go out to all the cast members at Walt Disney World,” said Kate Shindle, president of Actors’ Equity Association.

“Disney has made it clear that our members would face work reductions since they announced layoffs of nearly 28,000 employees. That does not make this news any less painful. These reductions are another tragic reminder that until the virus is brought under control with a national strategy for masks, testing and contact tracing, everyone who works in the arts needs help like extended pandemic unemployment insurance and federal COBRA health insurance subsidies.”

Details on Cast Members Laid Off
Before the pandemic, about 780 Equity members were employed at Walt Disney World, either full time, part time or seasonally. Disney has recently laid off 720 of the members with the remaining 60 currently working or about to return to work.

I know that the conventional wisdom is that "This too shall pass", but there are times like this when it feels like we may never see "normal" again...

As Uncle Walt once famously said... we must Keep Moving Forward, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter