What do you think of these choices? San Diego

KBecks

Planning a return to Florida, Oct 2019
Hi Everybody,

We are going to San Diego over Easter 2014 and will be in town for about 6 days with our three sons ages 5, 7 and 9.

There are so many places to go, but we want to keep the tickets reasonable.

Out of everything available, we're thinking of going to Legoland and the San Diego Zoo. One day in each place. We will be staying in a vacation home in the Mission District.

On the other days we will do things that do not have $$$ tickets.

How does that sound? The boys like Legos and so Legoland seems like the best fit. I considered SeaWorld and the Safari Park but think Legoland will be the most fun.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Karen

If you're going to the Zoo in Balboa Park, there are LOTS of museums. For your kid's ages, I'd definitely look at the Air and Space Museum. It is a blast for all ages with lots of planes hanging from the ceiling, the actual space capsule that went to the moon, flight simulators, etc. Good times.

Thanks so much for that suggestion!

I am now reconsidering Legoland / Zoo vs the 7-day tour package of Zoo/Seaworld/Safari Park.

Legoland beats Seaworld in my opinion.

And for 6 days that might be enough - San Diego is just pretty great to hangout in.

Other things you might consider:

Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum
Model Train Museum
Air and Space Museum
Ruben H Fleet Science Center
A round of Frisbee golf in Morley Field

Mission District? Is this Mission Beach District or near the San Diego Mission de Acala, or Mission Valley?

Also, will you have a car?

For boys your sons' ages, I would definitely do Legoland. Look for kids free with adult ticket coupons to save some money. I saw one of those coupons on the 2014 Lego calendar that's in stores now. They also appear often in the Lego magazine that you can subscribe to for free, and they are sometimes available from school PTAs for members or with purchases at Lego stores. Even if you don't get a kids free coupon, there are easy ways to get dollars off coupons at least.

My boys really loved Legoland, and we have been five or six times. The last time we went older DS was 12 and we went more for nostalgia and to check out Star Wars Miniland. I think your sons are the perfect ages now though and will have a great time.

Are you a member of a science museum in your home area? If so, check if they have ASTC reciprocal privileges. We are members of our local science museum and were able to use our family membership for free admission to the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center and the San Diego Natural History Museum both in Balboa Park. My sons enjoy both of those museums a lot, and we will probably visit them again next time we are in San Diego.

There are many more museums at Balboa Park. Our family even just enjoyed walking around the park, and that doesn't cost anything. Parking is free as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter