What do you think staying at AKV will REALLY be like this fall?

hmmerr02

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I was curious what you guys thought the realistic experience will be like at Animal Kingdom Villas this fall. Is it going to be a true "disney" experience or will it feel like I showed up too early for the party? You know what I mean, loud, ugly construction, etc. Any opinions?

We'll be there in January. Since most of the big "digging" kind of construction is at the new building and we'll be in the old one, I'm anticipating some noise during the day, but I'm determined some noise is not going to override my excitement at getting to go back and stay at AK Lodge with a savannah view at a rate we can pay! We've stayed there on our honeymoon and two other times on AP discounts (and had actually just checked out of AK and were leaving their parking lot when we heard on the radio about the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on 9/11. So when anyone asks do you remember where you were when you heard of the attacks, we sure remember exactly where!

Our attitude is we have just enough AKV points in our add-on contract to spend two nights every year in a savannah view studio, and feel pretty lucky to be able to do that, as before a stay there was a real luxury that occurred only after scouring AAA and AP discount opportunities and booking backup lodging in case no discounts were available. I'm excited to see the changes, even though they'll still be in their "ugly" stage, and will look forward to visiting again when it's all done. I guess as long as your expectations are that there might be some cyclone fences and the "beep beep beep" of reversing Tonka trucks nearby, but that you can still retreat to the cool awe of the lobby and the wonderful background music playing there, it shouldn't be too disappointing!

Hi everyone! I was curious what you guys thought the realistic experience will be like at Animal Kingdom Villas this fall. Is it going to be a true "disney" experience or will it feel like I showed up too early for the party? You know what I mean, loud, ugly construction, etc. Any opinions?

Likely, you will experience much construction noise, but you will never forget that YOU stayed there in the beginning... Not many will have your memories. Noise... yes. Being there during the beginning stages... priceless...

Honestly I think the owners will not notice and the nonowners will bash it just like they did SSR when it was still under construction. In fact with concierge savannah and parking lot views going for the same points, long walks to the main lodge, noise from construction I think the SSR bashing will be mild as to what is yet to come.

Honestly I think the owners will not notice and the nonowners will bash it just like they did SSR when it was still under construction. In fact with concierge savannah and parking lot views going for the same points, long walks to the main lodge, noise from construction I think the SSR bashing will be mild as to what is yet to come.

Yes, and it is ever thus here on the DIS/DVC board! Since the main AKL lodge is already a known entity, I don't think the construction noise will be so much of an issue to AKV owners, since we are anxious to see our new digs get finished. The ones I feel sorry for are the ones staying in the AKL hotel rooms. They aren't going to get any benefit from that noise!

DVC has been very good about warning people about the noise, there's even a note on the bottom of the confirmation they sent me. As said, they will be interesting memories. I know I'm not overly concerned because I'm not one to usually return to the room during the day and because they have warned me.

But then, I know it's my home for 50 years and this is necessary. I can understand to some extent that non-owners may get upset... But they shouldn't if they've been warned too.

Any word on if this will affect the animals on the savannah or those with savannah rooms?

Just got our confirmation for our September stay and it says right on the sheet that we should expect noise. We are not worried about it. Just really excited to be staying at AKV!:banana:

Just got our confirmation for our September stay and it says right on the sheet that we should expect noise. We are not worried about it. Just really excited to be staying at AKV!:banana:

Ho do you go about gettin the Animal kingdom picture you have at the bottom of your signature? We are new buyers. Just bought into AKV yesterday but I feel a little left out since everyone else has those little pictures of where they own at the bottom.:confused3

My GUESS is that the Zebra trail construction will be completed by September 1 and that they will be working on rooms along the Kudu trail. They may also be working on rooms in the remaining sections, but if there is only one crew doing the work, then maybe not.

It's difficult to do construction without making any noise, so I do expect there will be some audible work sounds, especially this summer and fall. It may or may not impact nappers during the day-time, but I expect night-time will be quiet enough. Shouldn't be a problem since everyone has been warned and can plan accordingly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few "Construction Noise was AWFUL" posts here anyway.

I wouldn't be too worried about the noises disturbing the critters...someone posted a cute picture on Disboards just last week (can't find it right now) showing some giraffes and other animals lined up along the cyclone fence watching the construction equipment and the activity. Guess they get a bit bored and find the action a welcome relief.

Ho do you go about gettin the Animal kingdom picture you have at the bottom of your signature? We are new buyers. Just bought into AKV yesterday but I feel a little left out since everyone else has those little pictures of where they own at the bottom.:confused3

Lola....here, check out this post which should get you set up! DVC Resorts in signatures

I do find it interesting that DVC is doing an excellent job warning about the noise, yet Disney resorts is glossing it over and saying it will be no problem.

Aren't they working at the same resort. :confused3

I do find it interesting that DVC is doing an excellent job warning about the noise, yet Disney resorts is glossing it over and saying it will be no problem.

Aren't they working at the same resort. :confused3
Maybe the DVC units are closer to the construction where noise can't be avoided (during the day). Possible that any hotel rooms near the contruction (if there are any) aren't being assigned.

Maybe it is because our trip isn't until March 2008, but there is no warning about noise on my confirmation, and there was no mention of it when I made our reservation.

Maybe it is because our trip isn't until March 2008, but there is no warning about noise on my confirmation, and there was no mention of it when I made our reservation.
Since the Jambo House units are all scheduled to be completed by May 2008, I would think that by March 2008, any noise would be minimal - interior finishing work is generally not all that noisy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter