What happens during a layover

sammi

<font color=purple>I'm a born traveller!<br><font
We have always flown out of Toronto but due to high taxes in our country we're wanting to fly out of Buffalo and all flights have layovers. Since we've always flown direct we aren't sure what we do re: changing planes. Do we need to pick up our bags and then check in again or does the airline take care of moving our luggage? Is there alway a long way to run between gates? Also will 45 minutes between flights be long enough to catch the other plane? Yikes what happens if we miss it?:(

Any and all information will be very much appreciated!:wave:

TIA!:)

It isn't that bad when you have a layover. Your bags will be taken care of.You don't have to do anything but get off the plane and walk to your new gate . You won't even have to clear security at the new airport. 45 minutes should be ok, but if you are delayed taking off from your 1st leg of your flight, you may cut it close. Your airline will get you on the next flight out if you miss your connection.;)

Is there alway a long way to run between gates?
Which airport will you be at for your layover? As Nick & Cindy said, in general 45 minutes ought to be fine. However, with some airports that may be a bit of a challenge depending on where your departure gate is relative to the arrival gate. In some cases, you may need to go from one concourse to another, which could involve catching a train, or a lot of walking.

Listen to the flight attendant's announcements as you are getting close to landing at the layover airport. Usually they will provide "connecting gate information", that is, they will tell you which gate you will be arriving at, and then list the upcoming departing flights and their gate numbers. The airline's magazine, which is usually in the seat pocket, typically has maps of the hub airports, so you can find your arrival gate, your departure gate, and get a good idea of whether you need to stroll ... or sprint.
outtahere.gif

I've had many, many layovers, and while I've had a few sprints that ended with the plane door closing right as I squeezed through it :eek: , I've never actually missed a connection, so don't worry about it. Just be prepared not to dawdle if your first flight is running at all late. Oh, and don't hesitate to ask the agent that is usually waiting at the exit from the jetway if you need any assistance in determining the quickest way to reach your connection.

Good luck!

I have had layovers as well. On one occasion I has a 50 minute layover. OUr flight was an hour leaving made up 15 minutes in transit. Our plane landed at the same time the connecting flight was suppose to leave. The pane waited. There wer aabout half dozen pasengers making the same conection. I khew I made it on the plane but I was afraid my luggage would not but it did.
I have heard but do not know if it is true with the new security regulations. If your layover is greater than two hours you must clain your luggage and go thought the security check point again.

Cindy...

Only one flight that I am aware of flies direct to Orlando... Southwest.

If you go to their website, www.southwest.com, and put in Buffalo, MCO, Buffalo Roundtrip and your dates, you will see one flight per day that is N/S... IT IS AWESOME!! lol... 2 hours, you are there!

Good luck. Since I don't know when you are flying out, I can't tell you if they're available.

Karen

If I have to change planes I try to allow at least 1-1/2 hours at the connection point. Less anxiety, less hassle, less sweat.

I haven't heard of having to claim and re-check luggage during a layover when changing between planes of the same airline. Stopover (more than 4 hours) probably yes. Some regional carriers making connecitons to majors, possibly yes.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 World Inn (now Doubletree Club)
4/85 Kon-Tiki (now Econolodge Hawaiian)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
9/97 All Star Music
11/98 ASMu & first annual pass
12/98 Knights Inn on 192
9/99 All Star Movies
12/00 All Star Sports & AP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 Motel 6 & ASSp & AP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned

Sammi,

If you are catching a flight with multiple carriers then you would have to pick up your luggage and re-check it. Otherwise when flying with the same carrier, your luggage goes right through to your final destination without you having to re-check it.

Call the airline you plan to use just to be sure.

The policy mentioned above is the most common but there may be exceptions and last minute rule changes.
We were unpleasantly surprised when we flew Air Canada from Ottawa and had to pick up our bags and re-check them in Toronto just after 9/11. Dh who travels a lot said he never had to do that before when flying with them. There were a lot of confused passengers and also because the bags took almost an hr. to unload there were several angry passengers who were told that they would miss their connecting flight and be put on the next available one. Haven't flown Air Canada since but I wonder if the policy has changed back to the way it was before.

Thanks everyone for all your replies.:)

I guess it's better in the long run to look for a flight that has at least an hour layover just to make sure we don't miss our flight.I could just see DH fuming if we missed the flight! LOL as he's not wanting to make connections but wants to get right down in one trip.

We were looking at flying JetBlue and I actually emailed them as some of their connections were only 25 minutes between and they replied that their gates are all side by side and that connecting was very easy and if by chance we did miss our flight we would be put on the next flight out stand-by.

Karen, I've been monitoring flights from Southwest Airlines but our dates (departing anywhere from March 15,16,17th and coming back April 7,8 or 9th) are not coming up with any "deals" but I'll keep checking.;)

Thanks again.......... you guys are so great!:wave: :sunny:

It does depend on the airport too.
I booked our recent flight with Northwest. They were allowing only a 35 minute layover going to MCO. Returning was a 55 minute layover. I was concerned!
The layover was at Memphis, and the airport isn't that big. Airlines usually pad their flight time a little and we had a little extra time on each leg.
Grab something to eat during your layover. If you don't have time to eat, at least grab something to eat on the flight. Most likely you will only get a tiny snack pack of pretzels and something to drink.
And if you think WDW food is expensive -- wait until you buy airport food!!! LOL :jester: ;)

If the airlines that you are flying have an interline agreement then you would not have to get your bags from the first flight and then check them with the second airline.

Sammi,

Jetblue is right... In NY, their gates are literally right next to each other. PLUS, they tend to over estimate their flight time so they tend to land a bit early... My DH travels Jet Blue all the time and has never missed a connection! We flew them in October and did fine (with three little kids and a car seat to get off and on the plane!).

My choice would be N/S Southwest, then JetBlue! Jet Blue is a great airline to fly, larger seats and individual TVs with direct TV at each seat! Free headphones! :Pinkbounc Unlimited GREAT snacks! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc hee hee

I like Southwest for the N/S flight, but if it isn't available for July 3 - July 12th, I will fly Jet Blue in a heartbeat... If I am going to do a layover, I'd rather fly JB than any other airline!

Good Luck!

Karen

Airport food pricing depends on the airport. Here in PIT we have "street" pricing which means the airport can't charge more than surrounding stores for the same food. So it isn't expensive. Other airports do this also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter