What happens if it rains/thunderstorm during your day at Discovery Cove?

JoeCathyAngelina

Lord be willing all goes well, see you next year.
I've been checking the long range weather forecast for April 17th, Our day at Discovery Cove and it's forecasting thunderstorms, rain heavy at times. :scared1::scared1::scared1:
Has anybody been to Discovery Cove during a thunderstorm and heavy rains. :(:(:(
I know it's Florida and it rains for an hour or 2 then the sun comes out for the rest of the day but I've never been to SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Aquatica or Busch Gardens and I'd like to prepare for a rain day. :idea::idea::idea:
Good Luck All,
Joe

I honestly have no idea.....but it sure is discouraging when Mother Nature decides to foul up carefully executed vacation plans. We arrived at the tail end of Hurricane Isaac last summer, so I know how much stress weather issues can cause.

DC does offer one complimentary date change per reservation, so if it really does look like you would be better off on a different date (and have the flexibility in your plans to allow for the switcheroo) then that might be something to consider. I would guess if you are there during a thunderstorm, they would at the very least evacuate all guests from the water areas. I am just not sure where else you would go. Gift shops would have limited capacity, and the even the dining area of the restaurant is outside (so its not like you could go sit there and wait for the storm to pass).

Hopefully the forecast will change between now and the 17th!

I cannot say for a thunderstorm, but it rained later in the afternoon the day we were there. Since it was hot, and even though the rain lowered the temp some, a few people ran for cover and the rest of us, including me, stayed in the water. Since there was no lightning, I just enjoyed as I was wet from the river anyway. And since our towels got wet, we just took fresh ones. They had plenty of towels.

Have a great day. It is a beautiful park.

During our trip last year an afternoon storm came through. The evacuated all the water areas and most people just hung around, there is some shelter at the food area and then the bathrooms were full. We had 2 cabanas so we just hung out there, another plus of one, about an hour later the storm was gone and they allowed people back in.

The usually won't close unless there is very severe weather. You are allowed the one date change but I understand that sometimes it is not very easy to do and it is based on capacity so if the day is sold out then that makes it a tad harder to change to, etc.

Hope the weather changes, or at least it is the normal rains just an hour or two and goes away!

I honestly have no idea.....but it sure is discouraging when Mother Nature decides to foul up carefully executed vacation plans. We arrived at the tail end of Hurricane Isaac last summer, so I know how much stress weather issues can cause.

DC does offer one complimentary date change per reservation, so if it really does look like you would be better off on a different date (and have the flexibility in your plans to allow for the switcheroo) then that might be something to consider. I would guess if you are there during a thunderstorm, they would at the very least evacuate all guests from the water areas. I am just not sure where else you would go. Gift shops would have limited capacity, and the even the dining area of the restaurant is outside (so its not like you could go sit there and wait for the storm to pass).

Hopefully the forecast will change between now and the 17th!

Does anybody have any clue how long I have before the scheduled date to change to a new date? :eek::eek::eek:
Good Luck All?
Joe

Does anybody have any clue how long I have before the scheduled date to change to a new date? :eek::eek::eek:
Good Luck All?
Joe

From the DC FAQ's:

Changing or canceling a reservation

At Discovery Cove, we recognize that vacation plans sometimes change. To accommodate this, we will allow one complimentary date change prior to your visit. Further changes to your itinerary will be provided for a nominal charge of $50 per change. If you need to reschedule your Discovery Cove visit, one complimentary date change is allowed, pending availability. Bookings made within 3 days of original reservation date will be booked at the original rate. Bookings made outside of that time will be subject to change based on seasonal rates for the new date chosen.

Please note: If you decide to cancel your Discovery Cove reservation within 30 days of your visit there is no refund. If the cancellation notice is provided more than 30 days from arrival, you will receive a full 100% refund. If you have to change or cancel your reservation, please contact the Discovery Cove reservations center at 1-877-557-7404. International guests, please call 001 (407) 370-1280.

http://www.discoverycove.ca/Plan/FAQ.aspx#gpi10

The biggest issue you may have is cost. If prices have gone up quite a bit since you booked, then you may be out of pocket somewhat for the change, even with the complimentary date change. Is there much of a difference between your paid reservation amount and the amounts currently being charged for the week of your visit? And is the website still showing availability for alternate dates?

Thanks,
There are dates available on both sides of my reservation. :hourglass
Since I booked on Wednesday, April 17th, it looks like I can change to any date that week at no additional charge. :teacher:
The bad part is the forecast calls for rain all week. :confused3
Good Luck All,
Joe

Thanks,
There are dates available on both sides of my reservation. :hourglass
Since I booked on Wednesday, April 17th, it looks like I can change to any date that week at no additional charge. :teacher:
The bad part is the forecast calls for rain all week. :confused3
Good Luck All,
Joe
It is Florida it rains everyday pretty much :) It can be raining over at Disney and you won't get a drop at Universal too.

We were at Universal one year and they called for storms, the storms came in at 4am and were over and done with prior to heading to the parks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter