What happens if United Airlines goes Bankrupt?

goofyboi

Earning My Ears
What happens if United Airlines goes bankrupt? What happens to our tickets? Does that mean no Disneyworld :confused:

Anyone else worried?

Relax. They will still be flying. It mainly just erases their old debt and gives them a chance to start over from scratch and reorganize so they can be more competitive (over simplified, but that's the general jist of it)

They may cut some of the least profitable flights they have and/or reduce the number of flights they fly, but they would just reroute you on another flight or even transfer you to another airline if they couldn't accomodate you.

I have flights booked with United also, so I phoned and asked. I was assured they would still be flying.

There was talk about bankruptcy before we booked. I called my SIL who is a travel agent. She just laughed and said don't worry about it -- go ahead and book. BTW, USAir is in bankruptcy, and they are still flying.

Just in case, pay for your flight with a credit card, if the worst does happen then the bank will refund your money.

I just got this email from United:

December 5, 2002

Dear:

It is no secret that things have been tough at United. We
were disappointed to learn yesterday that the Airline
Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB) could not approve
the proposal submitted by United for a $1.8 billion federal
loan guarantee.

Whatever course we now chart with the company, I want to be
emphatically clear that United will continue to fly and
deliver exceptional service to customers worldwide. And, as
a Mileage Plus(R) member, you can continue to accrue and redeem
miles with confidence.

Challenging times make a company stronger, leaner and more
focused. The employees of this airline stand ready and
committed to serve you today and in the future.

Thank you for your support and we'll keep you posted.

Sincerely,

Chris Bowers
Senior Vice President
Marketing and sales

I could be wrong, but one other implication may be that other airlines may not honor your United ticket if your United flight is cancelled or delayed. I seem to recall that scenario with previous airline bankruptcies.

The UAL stock is now under a dollar!:eek: Bargain basement discount on UAL stock! ;)
I wonder if they will cut back on their number of flights right away.

I heard on TV that United will continue to have the same schedule through the holidays, but will cut back on flights after the 1st of the year. It also mentioned that other airlines will not honor your United ticket if your flight is delayed or cancelled.

Well, they filed this morning and so far say no changes in service until after the 1st of the year. I have confidence in them staying around in one form or another, I've booked them for a Feb/Mar trip next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter