What Happens Next?

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
There is a ton of uncertainty in DVC as well as other parts of real life. I’m trying to imagine what the resorts and parks might be like when they do re-open. Now there’s talk of June 1 being the date for new reservations to begin. Is that really feasible? It’s anyone’s guess but, is it premature to cancel June/July/Aug trips especially at hard to book rooms? Should we take advantage of DVC allowing points to go back to use year borrowed from or, rebook for current UY? So much is variable and complete speculation. I’m interested in how others are feeling about having a Disney trip close to a proposed re-opening day? What do you think resorts and parks might realistically look like when it does?

Last edited:
I think resorts will open June 1st. I think parks will look at lot different if they open a June 1st but not sure I can even imagine what they looks like,

I am keeping my late June and early August trips in place. I had to reschedule March...the new August trip..and May, which moved to October,

My friend going with me in June will go regardless of parks as we are at VGF and it’s been her dream to stay there,

Hopefully, people will continue to follow guidelines, and in two months, we can get some type of order restored to WDW

It’s anyone’s guess but, is it premature to cancel June/July/Aug trips especially at hard to book rooms? Should we take advantage of DVC allowing points to go back to use year borrowed from or, rebook for current UY?

If it reopens are you going?

COVID19 is not going to have a vaccine or "cure" by summer. You should make your own decision based on how you feel about that.

No one can really tell you if you will feel comfortable going.

Also be aware during the summer there likely will be vacation shaming by a subset of the US/World.

I just cancelled our VGC trip for beginning of June. Even if they open we aren't interested in a resort only stay or limited experiences.

We had 178 borrowed points and wanted to get those back which they did without asking. I cancelled via the chat function since the site wouldn't work.

There are some important considerations around June 1 that make it possibly optimistic.

Anyone dying right now of COVID-19 was infected roughly a month ago based on typical timelines of infection, incubation, and disease progress. Looking at New Orleans and their infection rate vs. Fat Tuesday is also instructive - we are now a month past it, and their rates are going crazy, even with limited testing.

Florida has been a late comer to social distancing and shutdown measures.

The 1918 flu pandemic came in multiple waves, and featured far less national/international travel in its progress. As we approach June, we're pretty likely to see second-wave numbers occurring in China and Italy that may provoke additional state or federal measures. Florida is already doing border checks from ~5 states.

Disney picked a date out of thin air, one that happens to coincide with the rough time period for one of the Disney College Program cohorts. Will it open? They don't know. If it opens will it be safe? Odds are actually not in favor of that based on historical views.

Just changed my middle of May trip to Middle of June. I am fairly confident the hotels will at least be open by then.

And if the parks are not, oh well, I will have no problem spending 2 days in a 2bdr OKW. Will be a nice change from the last 3 months.

We are booked early June. Keeping the reservation for now but I am conflicted. Availability is already getting limited for the rest of the year so I am not sure if we need to reschedule we will be able to. Maybe just going to bank our points and then pay for a cash room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts