• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is a GAC?

snubie

DIS Veteran
I am confused as to how these are used. My FIL has multiple Sclerosis. Would he qualify for a GAC? How is a GAC used? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stacey

Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
GAC is a Guest Assistance Card. I don't know if the CMs at WDW ever call it a GAC, but we call it that here so that we don't need to type out all the words.
It basically is a card that helps CMs to know what type of assistance someone needs if they have an invisible disability. It is not meant to (and usually won't) shorten the wait for an attraction. It is meant to give the assistance that is needed for the particular person that the GAC is issued to; each GAC is stamped with message(s) that indicates what assistance is needed. Examples might be for a child to use a stroller the same way as a wheelchair is used; to have quieter place to wait; for someone with visual difficulties to be directed to the front row of show, etc.
If someone is using a wheelchair or ecv (elecctric scooter), they will usually not need a GAC because most lines are wheelchair accessible. If the line is not, the CMs will know to direct you to the accessible area because they can see the wheelchair. So, GACs are more for disabilities that are not visible (or easily observed). During non-busy times (like if you went right now at the end of Feb), you might not need a GAC because since it is less busy, it's easier for CMs to take care of special needs than it is when the parks are very full.

Because WDW is such a large place, your FIL would probably want to consider using a wheelchair or ecv. The distances people walk each day at WDW are much greater than most people think - I've seen estimates of between 3 and 9 miles per day. When you realize that it's over a mile just to go around World Showcase in Epcot, that puts the distance in perspective. If he has an ecv or wheelchair, he might not need a GAC. It all depends on whether he has other needs that are not taken care of by having a wheelchair or ecv.

To request a GAC, he needs to go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain his needs to the CM there. If a GAC is issued, it is usually valid for you complete length of stay. The same GAC is good in all the parks and is good for up to 6 people - including the person with a disability.
To use a GAC, you just show it to the CMs at the rides so they can see what assistance you need and direct you. Sometimes, even though your GAC might be issued for up to 6 people, you may be asked to split into smaller groups. This is because some areas are too crowded or not large enough for more than a few people. This doesn't happen often, but is important to know so you are not surprised if it does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter