What is closed in your community....?

The Illinois governor (where I live) just issued a "stay at home" order. We can go out for essential items, but that's it. I had been going in to work, but looks like I'll be working from home now.

j
I am guessing these “stay at home” announcements/orders are the next group of announcements that will start coming out multiple states per day the next few days...

Nice Jimmy,

We hit 70 degrees here yesterday, but we also had severe storms and heavy rain all day.

j

Warm here also. I still will have work, more so now. Problem is there are no cleaning products to be had. They went with the TP weeks ago. I took some old baby wipes added some diluted bleach. Good enough in a pinch. Unfortunately, they will have to be used at work , because were out of everything and need something. The state OEM said stuff is on the way. So , hopefully soon. Home school is a joke, and not easy. The kido dosent get into school mode and going stright through the work while eating takes about 7 hours. Thays without gym or music etc. So trying to work, teach and forrage is getting the best of me. That and all the campgounds closing and my planned trips cancled. I look at the poor camper sitting there unused. I sware it has a frown on its front. Stay safe all. Get some supplies the worst is yet to come.

I have just finished cleaning two of my vacuum cleaners. I have finished spring cleaning and am bored. Is there medication for people like me?

Attachments

• vacuum.jpg
    vacuum.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

I have to homeschool the kido now. School is closed but they gave us tons of work to do. On the computer and in packets. Takes me a good 5 hours sitting with her. Lessons last about 7 hours. Lol. Part of the problem is figiring out what they want you to do, and getting the passwords lessons to load on the computer. Some of the sites are overloaded and will not work.

For all those new-homeschoolers, here is an email I got from one of the sites I follow. She had put together an "emergency homeschool" packet for her church (at their request).

I can't imagine the public school system forcing anyone to follow their "curriculum" to a tee, so don't feel like you HAVE to devote 7 hours per day to schooling. The truth is that a full academic school day at home can be done in 2-4 hours and since it is an emergency situation, basics are good enough, especially since "testing" has been waived and most public education is teaching to a test.

IF you do nothing else, have your kids do 30 minutes of math each day at their level, 30 minutes of reading from a GOOD book (plenty of digital books are free online, or look up Librivox for free readings) and copy a passage from that book. Go outside if possible and record something from nature, draw it and look up something about it. Use this Covid pandemic to look up the places affected and call it geography.

Here are some more great resources along with the ones below:
https://allinonehomeschool.comhttp://kahnacademy.com

Here are a few tips and ideas to consider as you embark on educating your children at home.
  • Children are composed of body, mind, and soul. While these are inseparable, each must be considered. Each must be nourished every single day. Going outside and getting exercise are not extracurricular, nor are they forbidden by social distancing. Children with too much pent-up energy are difficult to teach. If you find yourself frustrated, ask yourself if you have been neglecting one of these areas.
  • Children need something to love, something to do, and something to think about.They need these every day. Taking care of pets and doing chores are just as important as doing a math lesson. A good way to evaluate a homeschool day is to ask yourself if these three have been touched on. Did I give my children something to admire? Did they perform useful work? Did I feed them with ideas that will nourish their minds?
  • Homeschooling doesn’t take as long as school-schooling. There is very little crowd control, and one-on-one tutoring is more efficient. Lessons will be shorter. You will know lessons are too long if you see a glazed-over look in their eyes. The best way to train children to pay attention is to keep lessons short (around 20-30 minutes — and sometimes less — for early elementary and increasing with maturity).
  • Anxiety is contagious. Real education, however, requires a rested, peaceful state of mind. Emergency homeschooling is different from regular homeschooling because it’s disorienting and unexpected. It’s okay to put everything aside and take a walk or jump on the trampoline or pray an extra prayer. Mom must have her own heart under control in order to teach well. Do what it takes to build your day in a peaceful way; anxiety is not the proper context for learning.
  • You don’t have to know everything to teach your children. If you choose good books, the authors are the teacher, not you. You are just the facilitator, the initiator of the relationships. If you feel insecure, read through the chapters the night before so you are familiar with the material.
  • You don’t have to ask “comprehension questions” or design elaborate worksheets.The number one rule of learning is if you can’t explain it, you don’t know it. This doesn’t mean children must master everything they are taught, of course, but much simpler than elaborate worksheets and quizzes is a practice that goes all the way back in history even to the Church Father Augustine: narration. In narration, the child attempts to retell (by memory) what he has heard or read. Some children enjoy acting out a scene with their toys or siblings, or illustrating a scene on paper. With a group of children, you can have them try to retell a story together, taking turns, one sentence at a time, from beginning to end.
  • You need a routine. Write out everything you must do — meals, naps for littles, whatever — and then schedule in lessons, free time, chore time, etc. around those anchors.
Much of what I selected for our families is found in the AO HELP plan here. If you’d like a copy of what we sent out to our church members, just fill out the form on this page and it’ll be delivered to your inbox.
If you’re new here, let me be the first to say: Welcome to homeschooling.

LOOKING TO STUDY CHARLOTTE MASON?
Start Here: A Journey Through Charlotte Mason’s 20 PrinciplesPDF study guide will help you read and study Charlotte Mason’s educational philosophy in a big picture way.

The Illinois governor (where I live) just issued a "stay at home" order. We can go out for essential items, but that's it. I had been going in to work, but looks like I'll be working from home now.

j

The Pritz cant sit around and let Cali and New York get all the press, dont know why he has to hold press conferences with chicago mayor I guess us "downstater's" dont count.

nothing new for us, as we are retired and DD3 on break from Vet Tech scoool, we've just been kinda self quarantined anyway, small town of 4k with a well stocked grocery store. only wish was DD2 was home from SLC, (neumont computer science college)

Soem of the State Parks are closing, so we have shifted our camping trip a few times. Right now, we hope to get out next weekend, but are also preparing for it to not happen. Camping IS social distancing people!

Bastrop area all fast food restaurants are drive thru's. A lot of sit in restaurants are closed. HEB has very little on their shelves unless you get to the store at 6AM. I can't understand this thing with everyone buying up toilet paper?? So far, Texas has not shut down all the way. Just waiting for the Governor to say stay home or get fined. So sad, but in time things will be better.

For all those new-homeschoolers, here is an email I got from one of the sites I follow. She had put together an "emergency homeschool" packet for her church (at their request).

I can't imagine the public school system forcing anyone to follow their "curriculum" to a tee, so don't feel like you HAVE to devote 7 hours per day to schooling. The truth is that a full academic school day at home can be done in 2-4 hours and since it is an emergency situation, basics are good enough, especially since "testing" has been waived and most public education is teaching to a test.

IF you do nothing else, have your kids do 30 minutes of math each day at their level, 30 minutes of reading from a GOOD book (plenty of digital books are free online, or look up Librivox for free readings) and copy a passage from that book. Go outside if possible and record something from nature, draw it and look up something about it. Use this Covid pandemic to look up the places affected and call it geography.

Here are some more great resources along with the ones below:
https://allinonehomeschool.comhttp://kahnacademy.com

Here are a few tips and ideas to consider as you embark on educating your children at home.
  • Children are composed of body, mind, and soul. While these are inseparable, each must be considered. Each must be nourished every single day. Going outside and getting exercise are not extracurricular, nor are they forbidden by social distancing. Children with too much pent-up energy are difficult to teach. If you find yourself frustrated, ask yourself if you have been neglecting one of these areas.
  • Children need something to love, something to do, and something to think about.They need these every day. Taking care of pets and doing chores are just as important as doing a math lesson. A good way to evaluate a homeschool day is to ask yourself if these three have been touched on. Did I give my children something to admire? Did they perform useful work? Did I feed them with ideas that will nourish their minds?
  • Homeschooling doesn’t take as long as school-schooling. There is very little crowd control, and one-on-one tutoring is more efficient. Lessons will be shorter. You will know lessons are too long if you see a glazed-over look in their eyes. The best way to train children to pay attention is to keep lessons short (around 20-30 minutes — and sometimes less — for early elementary and increasing with maturity).
  • Anxiety is contagious. Real education, however, requires a rested, peaceful state of mind. Emergency homeschooling is different from regular homeschooling because it’s disorienting and unexpected. It’s okay to put everything aside and take a walk or jump on the trampoline or pray an extra prayer. Mom must have her own heart under control in order to teach well. Do what it takes to build your day in a peaceful way; anxiety is not the proper context for learning.
  • You don’t have to know everything to teach your children. If you choose good books, the authors are the teacher, not you. You are just the facilitator, the initiator of the relationships. If you feel insecure, read through the chapters the night before so you are familiar with the material.
  • You don’t have to ask “comprehension questions” or design elaborate worksheets.The number one rule of learning is if you can’t explain it, you don’t know it. This doesn’t mean children must master everything they are taught, of course, but much simpler than elaborate worksheets and quizzes is a practice that goes all the way back in history even to the Church Father Augustine: narration. In narration, the child attempts to retell (by memory) what he has heard or read. Some children enjoy acting out a scene with their toys or siblings, or illustrating a scene on paper. With a group of children, you can have them try to retell a story together, taking turns, one sentence at a time, from beginning to end.
  • You need a routine. Write out everything you must do — meals, naps for littles, whatever — and then schedule in lessons, free time, chore time, etc. around those anchors.
Much of what I selected for our families is found in the AO HELP plan here. If you’d like a copy of what we sent out to our church members, just fill out the form on this page and it’ll be delivered to your inbox.
If you’re new here, let me be the first to say: Welcome to homeschooling.

LOOKING TO STUDY CHARLOTTE MASON?
Start Here: A Journey Through Charlotte Mason’s 20 PrinciplesPDF study guide will help you read and study Charlotte Mason’s educational philosophy in a big picture way.

Thanks for that i needed the reassurance, after day 3 of the 7 hour lessons, ive had it. We went outsode and played basketball. After i spent 1.5 hours trying to figure out and load the typing class for a 2nd grader, i gave up. This was for her technology class. I opened the mail , there was the census form, so we did that on line , typing and learned something semi useful. I told the teacher we filled out the census instead. Let them fire me! The stuff they put together is not good, or fun. In fact i hired,( and this is good) a teacher from our school district to babysit and do the work with my 2nd grader while i was at work. The teacher basicly said, way too much work for someone that age and they watched a movie in the afternoon. Next week will not entail the stuff that was sent home. Maybe a walk on the beach or something atually educational.

Thanks for that i needed the reassurance, after day 3 of the 7 hour lessons, ive had it. We went outsode and played basketball. After i spent 1.5 hours trying to figure out and load the typing class for a 2nd grader, i gave up. This was for her technology class. I opened the mail , there was the census form, so we did that on line , typing and learned something semi useful. I told the teacher we filled out the census instead. Let them fire me! The stuff they put together is not good, or fun. In fact i hired,( and this is good) a teacher from our school district to babysit and do the work with my 2nd grader while i was at work. The teacher basicly said, way too much work for someone that age and they watched a movie in the afternoon. Next week will not entail the stuff that was sent home. Maybe a walk on the beach or something atually educational.

I’m a teacher and even I’m floored at what fellow teachers are assigning. Maybe it’s because I’m a local credit CTE class, but still. I’ve seen parents post stacks and stacks of pages they printed out or teachers doing a 40 minute Skype/zoom/FB live lecture for each class. I understand we need to still have our students learning, do enough to cover our butts with the state and earn our paycheck, but come on. Be creative and flexible!
A friend said she was trying to make her son do some work they assigned in an online program, but every time she turned her back, he was watching offshore fishing videos. I told her I’d tell the teacher he’s getting a great STEM education: science for the fish, technology for the depth finder the boat uses, engineering for the design of the boat, and math for calculating regulations and bag limits.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2020/03/22/florida-dep-closing-all-state-parks-to-the-public/

As part of the ongoing effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection is closing all state parks to the public.

The move, which came at the direction of Gov. Ron DeSantis, takes effect beginning on Monday.

In a news release Sunday evening, the Department of Environmental Protection said it has tried taking steps to keep state parks open while also limiting public gatherings.

“Unfortunately, this has not resulted in the reductions needed to best protect public health and safe as Florida continues to mitigate the spread of COVID-19,” the agency said.

The closure follows previous measures such as canceling events and activities, as well as closing state park beaches, to keep large groups from gathering at the parks.

It’s unclear how long state parks will remain closed.

Its official, VA has ordered k-12 to close fo the academic year. KS did the same earlier. Our girls will continue to learn thanks to Melissa being a teacher. It seems her pay and benifits will continue per her contract. We will see what next year is going to be like. I have no doubt M is sad by the news, she misses her students and won't get to say goodbye as they move to up middle school next year.

This is really surreal and I expect a WFH to be extended through to May at this point if not longer.

They are meeting this week to determine the fate of the rest of the school year here in MS. While they are not responsible to make up the missed days, the individual school districts can decide if they want to utilize the summer months to make up the missed time if this settles down. Here, we are surprisingly limited in large areas having limited or no internet access, so working from home to keep up with school work is limited for lots of folks. Our neighbors home school their children, however, they follow the local school district. When it closed up, theirs did too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter