What is the one thing you wish you had known the first time you went on an ABD trip?

AmyinKY

Mouseketeer
My family, myself, DH, DD, and DS are planning a ABD trip in Sept of 2010. This will be my daughter's graduation from HS trip as well as my son's 8th grade trip. We homeschool and are planing to take this trip in the spring.

What was the one thing that if you had know about it, would have made the trip that much better?

Thanks for your help.
Amy

ok folks, 62 of you have looked at this post and not commented. Are you not posting because you want me to NOT book a tour, leaving the spot open for your family?!! :yay: :yay:

Tell me your stories.

Amy

I think you may not be getting responses, for a couple of reasons. First off, the ABD trips differ greatly from one tour to another. You did not mention what part of the world you are thinking of traveling too. Secondly, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but 2010 details have not been released, and probably won't until 2009. Thirdly, in your post you state that you want to take the trip both "Sept 2010" and "take this trip in the spring". Again since tours differ from one to another, and differ at different times of the year, without knowing what you are looking at, tips would be very generic at best. If you provide a few more details, you may get a better response.

As for me, I did Imperial Cities (Vienna, Prague, Salzberg).

I would suggest to make sure you keep a rain slicker in your daypack....we we're supplied them by ABD (both pack and slicker) but I without thinking placed in my luggage that went ahead of us in a seperate vehicle in Prague. And it poured that day.

If going to Europe be prepared for the cost.

Explore the local culture of your destination. I spent more time in cafe's in Vienna having a grand time.....( I wish I could get schnitzel {sp?} and a Radler here)

The only suggestion I would have is definitely comfortable, well broken in shoes. You do a lot of walking. If you are coming with Kids, you might want to bring magazines or small games for the bus or train (in the case of London/Paris). My daughter and I bought books for the train. You might also consider a small umbrella. The one we got from ABD broke, so I ended up buying a nice expensive Moulin Rouge one in Paris, only to leave it on the Magic after my post ABD Med cruise :sad2: I can't really think of anything that I wish I had brought once I got there though!

How - Oh HOW!!! To get my wife to pack lighter!!! :rolleyes1

I have yet to go on a ABD trip. This summer Emerald Isle will be our first... So, I have nothinig to offer specifically with ABD - yet. However, we have been on multiple Disney Cruises, Disney Resorts and to multiple Disney Vacation Club locations. If anything, we keep leaving more & more of it to Disney and simply don't worry it. Last time we went to WDW, we arranged to take the Magic Express. Never saw our bags after we checked in at the airport. Portal to portal service then portal to ship service. each time we travel with them, I seem to care less - even about whatever goes wrong. If something does, they fix it. This is the 1st time I have ever bought travel insurance. Only reason for that is ... :headache: ... Not sure :confused3

You might consider the fact that no one has responded as a positive factor. If anything has gone wrong, apparently it is of small consequence to most folks. Have a nice trip!!!

Well, I have checked here a few times looking for answers myself. This is our first trip and you may find that is the case for a number of people on the board. So a lot of us may not have much to offer yet.

My family, myself, DH, DD, and DS are planning a ABD trip in Sept of 2010. This will be my daughter's graduation from HS trip as well as my son's 8th grade trip. We homeschool and are planing to take this trip in the spring.

What was the one thing that if you had know about it, would have made the trip that much better?

Thanks for your help.
Amy

Well, we went on 2 ABDs last year, but I can't think of anything that would have made the trip better... those ABD guides are awesome!

Tiggr33, the OP may be from Australia, where September is springtime (although Kentucky is not generally thought to lie within Australian borders). More likely she made a typo or they were waffling about travel dates.

Me, I looked at this thread b/c I just booked our first Disney Adventures trip (London/Paris week of 6/5/08 w/2 kids) and wanted to see what jewels of wisdom might be contained here.

Smarge .... If you want a peak at what you have to look forward to, you can check out my trip blog. Follow the Europe a la Disney link in my signature.

MJGirl

Wow - your trip sounds like it was amazing! I have been to London, Paris, and Rome on other trips before and your pictures and blog brough back so many wonderful memories. Sounds like ABD is the way to go the next time I want to see Europe!

MJGirl

Wow - your trip sounds like it was amazing! I have been to London, Paris, and Rome on other trips before and your pictures and blog brough back so many wonderful memories. Sounds like ABD is the way to go the next time I want to see Europe!

Thank you! The trip was amazing ...Something my daughter and I will never forget!

My only regret is that we didn't book our "on-your-own" excursions in advance and were not able to get into a couple of places we really wanted to see. I would suggest booking tickets BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME if there is any museum you would like to get into that isn't part of your Disney itinerary. Second best would be asking at the desk of your hotel for help in getting tickets.

Interesting question.... hmmmm.... we researched so much before we went that there were no real surprises in terms "I wish I'd know before we went". I'd have to agree with MJGirl. Comfortable walking shoes are a *must*. We, too, did the London/Paris Knights&Lights tour and we were glad for the comfy shoes. A few tips I can think of right now:

- plan ahead for what you'd like to do on your free time - just to make the most of your vacation time.

- if your tour has optional activities - do them! On the London/Paris tour, for example, there is/was an optional early morning guided walking tour of The Inns area, and I'm *so* glad we did not skip this for an extra hour's sleep!

- if you're going to Europe, be prepared for the high prices. It's just a really expensive place to visit (especially during high season).

- in the end, do your research. Understand what your tour is about. Learn something about the countries you'll be visiting. Make practical use of your free time. Above all, be prepared to enjoy yourself!

We are in the process of deciding which one ourselves. My parents used to travel in Europe with some frequency. The one thing they have told me was no shorts when visiting the churces in Italy.

KLondon: Your blog is great! We're doing this trip in 2009 & I can't wait.

Also, your blog of this trip is much better than the "other" one people are always talking about.
G

Interesting question.... hmmmm.... we researched so much before we went that there were no real surprises in terms "I wish I'd know before we went". I'd have to agree with MJGirl. Comfortable walking shoes are a *must*. We, too, did the London/Paris Knights&Lights tour and we were glad for the comfy shoes. A few tips I can think of right now:

- plan ahead for what you'd like to do on your free time - just to make the most of your vacation time.

- if your tour has optional activities - do them! On the London/Paris tour, for example, there is/was an optional early morning guided walking tour of The Inns area, and I'm *so* glad we did not skip this for an extra hour's sleep!

- if you're going to Europe, be prepared for the high prices. It's just a really expensive place to visit (especially during high season).

- in the end, do your research. Understand what your tour is about. Learn something about the countries you'll be visiting. Make practical use of your free time. Above all, be prepared to enjoy yourself!

Oh, and in London go to Pizza Express.
Best. Thin crust Italian style. Pepperoni Pizza. Ever. I kid you not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter