What should I know about Paris Disneyland?

MithrilMaiden

Earning My Ears
I'm spending two days at Paris Disneyland on the way to vacation in Germany this April (I've been to Paris multiple times, so this time I'd rather go to the parks). Already bought my tickets, which, as I understand it, do allow park hopping. I'm staying within walking distance of both parks, but not in a Disney hotel.

I've been to California Disneyland, California Adventure, Tokyo Disneyland, and Tokyo DisneySea, so comparisons to those four are most useful. How is the fast pass system at Paris Disneyland? Is pin trading, which I'm super into, any different in Paris than it is in Anaheim? I know for sure I'll want to ride Ratatouille, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Phantom Manor. Is Star Wars Hyperspace Mountain good? What about the Paris version of Indiana Jones? I missed Peter Pan's Flight in Anaheim, is it worth riding in Paris?

Is Les Mystères du Nautilus as boring as the submarine ride in Anaheim, or is it worth doing? Is La Tanière du Dragon worth my time?

Also, is It's A Small World in English or French? In Tokyo, the song is in Japanese, and I think I'd only be interested in riding it if it's in French. I'd also extend that to Phantom Manor and Pirates, both of which I've ridden in English and Japanese. I'll ride them regardless, but a French language version would be cool. Overall, how much should I expect to test my French language skills in the park? I do have basic proficiency in French, but I wouldn't say I can carry on an extended conversation.

Let's give you some threads to help you on your way!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/faq-1st-time-visitors-crowds-weather-language-wifi-money.3736354/https://www.disboards.com/threads/faq-1st-time-visitors-touring-plans-rides-shows.3741109/
Fastpasses;
- Disneyland Paris has the old paper system, no electronic systems. There is a paid option which can be bought in advance and is exchanged at Guests Services for a wrist band.
There are no FP for shows or characters. Before buying, please judge how many rides are included and which ones.

Similar/different rides;
There is a list in the 2nd link.
Space Mountain, I love it, but it's not my favourite. Same with Indiana Jones. Peter Pan is a classic and if you haven't seen it yet (I can't remember if this ride is in Tokyo to be honest) and you should see it.

Nautlius, it's a walk through taking less than 5 minutes of your time (unless you stop at every detail), you can do it when you walk out of Space Mountain.
Taniere du Dragon contains an amazing huge animatronic in a cool setting. So if that's your thing, definitely go have a look. Also this one doesn't take that long.

Small World, Phantom Manor, Pirates are mixed languages. I think Pirates has the most French. Phantom Manor has much more of a story therefore after the refurbishment they added more English tracks so that most visitors can enjoy them.

You can practise your French skills all you want, as all the CMs speak French (never encountered one who didn't speak French), but is it necessary? No. The park is basically bi-lingual, all the signs, maps, menus, etc. are at least in English and French, and for maps and menus they usually have other languages available as well. You will be perfectly fine to speak English. The level of English will differ per CM, but overall to spend a day in the park, they can help you just fine in either language.

As you've been to Tokyo DisneySea, I can tell you that the Indiana Jones coaster is exactly the same track as Raging Spirits in TDS, just with slightly different theming, so you can skip that probably unless you're REALLY into coasters.

I think the Paris version of Small World is the most detailed and colourful of all the ones I've been on and the song is in both English and French, so it's worth at least one go around. Same with Pirates - I think DLP got the best version of the ride, with the scenes being in a different (and more logical) order, plus the restoration of the second drop, so that's a must do.

Good idea to make a quick stop for DL Paris on your way to Germany... (I'l cross my fingers that you will have good weather for both...)

I love the Paris version of Hyperspace mountain. I think it is better than the one in Anaheim actually (there I much prefer the regular space mountain version over the overlay). I didn't really like the Paris version of Indiana Jones...its just a mediocre coaster in my opinion but if you have some spare time you can certainly try it out yourself (as far as I know the FP for that ride isn't connected to the others so you can simply get one).
If you didn't do Peter Pan in Anaheim I would certainly ride it in Paris because you can get a FP for it so its far easier to get on compared to the Anaheim version. I am not 100% sure but I don't think they differ much if at all.
I think a quick stop in the Tanière du Dragon is a must do for me in DL Paris for sure. As it is an unique thing and doesn't take long... (my mom actually went at least 3 times on our first trip)

As you've been to Tokyo DisneySea, I can tell you that the Indiana Jones coaster is exactly the same track as Raging Spirits in TDS, just with slightly different theming, so you can skip that probably unless you're REALLY into coasters.
It was actually down for repairs the whole time I was at DisneySea, so it sounds like I can make up for missing it by riding it in Paris.

Wait, it's the same as Raging Spirits, not Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? It's Crystal Skull that was shut down.

I hear that, between the American, Japanese, and French Big Thunder Mountains, the French one is best, like with no competition? I loved Big Thunder Mountain in Anaheim and Tokyo, so I guess that's a much bigger must do in Paris than Indiana Jones if it's just a Raging Spirits retread (which I have ridden).

Last edited:
Fastpasses;
- Disneyland Paris has the old paper system, no electronic systems. There is a paid option which can be bought in advance and is exchanged at Guests Services for a wrist band.
Can I buy this option after I already got my tickets?

It was actually down for repairs the whole time I was at DisneySea, so it sounds like I can make up for missing it by riding it in Paris.

Wait, it's the same as Raging Spirits, not Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? It's Crystal Skull that was shut down.

I hear that, between the American, Japanese, and French Big Thunder Mountains, the French one is best, like with no competition? I loved Big Thunder Mountain in Anaheim and Tokyo, so I guess that's a much bigger must do in Paris than Indiana Jones if it's just a Raging Spirits retread (which I have ridden).
Yeah sorry, Paris gets just a generic rollercoaster as its Indy ride - would love it if we'd have got Crystal Skull / Forbidden Eye (as it was in California) instead, but it was built at one of the points when they were trying to add attractions to DLP within a very strict budget.

But Paris's Big Thunder is definitely the best iteration of them all - you will absolutely love that without a doubt.

Last edited:

Don't miss hyperspace mountain and if possible get to Peter Pan first to get a fast pass then walk over to small world. By the time you have been on your be on Peter pan! We then do pirates and get a fast pass for big thunder. Then go on phantom manor and then it's time for big thunder. Once your off btm get another fast pass (it so worth it!). Go explore discovery land and hyperspace, maybe catch a parade and then go back to btm then indy! Perfect day!

Can I buy this option after I already got my tickets?
Yes - it usually opens a few weeks prior in availability. With 2 days you should be able to do everything fairly easily if you stay full days. I was thinking about getting one for April as we only have 1 day.

I'm spending two days at Paris Disneyland on the way to vacation in Germany this April (I've been to Paris multiple times, so this time I'd rather go to the parks). Already bought my tickets, which, as I understand it, do allow park hopping. I'm staying within walking distance of both parks, but not in a Disney hotel.

I've been to California Disneyland, California Adventure, Tokyo Disneyland, and Tokyo DisneySea, so comparisons to those four are most useful. How is the fast pass system at Paris Disneyland? Is pin trading, which I'm super into, any different in Paris than it is in Anaheim? I know for sure I'll want to ride Ratatouille, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Phantom Manor. Is Star Wars Hyperspace Mountain good? What about the Paris version of Indiana Jones? I missed Peter Pan's Flight in Anaheim, is it worth riding in Paris?

Is Les Mystères du Nautilus as boring as the submarine ride in Anaheim, or is it worth doing? Is La Tanière du Dragon worth my time?

Also, is It's A Small World in English or French? In Tokyo, the song is in Japanese, and I think I'd only be interested in riding it if it's in French. I'd also extend that to Phantom Manor and Pirates, both of which I've ridden in English and Japanese. I'll ride them regardless, but a French language version would be cool. Overall, how much should I expect to test my French language skills in the park? I do have basic proficiency in French, but I wouldn't say I can carry on an extended conversation.
Side note on the languages - you can see flags on the bottom of the CM name tags. Look for the Union Jack for English. Most speak English but some have German/Spanish or others listed instead of or as well as English.

Is hyper space mountain different then the overlay they do or have done in Anaheim?

Is hyper space mountain different then the overlay they do or have done in Anaheim?
The overlay is actually pretty similar but the track is completely different...!

(I didn’t know that and was totally surprised the first time I rode it! I loved it...)
I actually like the hyperspace overly best in DLP. I don’t really like the DL Version and after having ridden the DLP Version, the DL version doesn’t stand a chance in my opinion... in Anahaim I like the regular space Mountain best!

Don’t want to spoil anything but you asked...

You are launched in the beginning and there is a corkscrew...and you have shoulder restraints instead of simple lap bars...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!