What should we not miss -- food related

We're going to Blue Bayou one afternoon, because I really want to check it out. I feel like we're wasting a meal though, cause there's nothing there I'm excited about eating... Do you guys think it's worth it though?!
The food is not great but we love the atmosphere. We always ask for a table by the water so we can watch the boats go by. Its nice and dark (and cold!) in there. Great for a break from the sun.

We always enjoyed our meals at Carthay Circle. We ask for a table on the balcony and sip on a bottle of wine while watching the crowds go by.

Banana Fritters from Royal St Veranda (just had them for the first time and they are delish!)
Beignets of course!
Pomme Frittes - we got them this time from Red Rose Tavern counter service.
Turkey Dip at Flo's was really yummy...update on the old school open faced hot turkey sandwich
Love Dole Whip
Tried the Boysen Apple Freeze at Maurices Treats and I've been dreaming about it ever since!

Love posts about food !! Keep 'em coming!!

I'm only there for 3 days though...there def won't be enough time to eat everything I want to!

We're going to Blue Bayou one afternoon, because I really want to check it out. I feel like we're wasting a meal though, cause there's nothing there I'm excited about eating... Do you guys think it's worth it though?!

Save your money for the Chef's Counter at The Napa Rose. Seriously.

I know it’s been mentioned but I want to stress it. Lol. The ONE thing I must always get when visiting DLR is a Dole Whip.

Go.

It is a poor value as a restaurant, it has the worst band for the buck, even factoring in it is a theme park. Most regulars deem it not worth the money (and I agree), but you're not a regular. I always encourage first-time DL guests to consider BB, especially of your big on the nostalgic/historic aspect of DL. Like @Niltiac, if there isn't something on the menu you really want to try, then I recommend people to book it mid-afternoon for a dessert. Food at BB can be heavy if you're heading out to stare at the goat on Big Thunder Mtn RR.

Cathay Circle and Napa Rose are expensive as well (the latter very so), but the prices feel more justified (if you compensate for theme park inflation). Napa Rose is typically on par with some of the best L.A.-area fine dining.

Last edited:
The food is such a huge part of the fun!
I'd go to Blue Bayou again just for the atmosphere. The food isn't bad - it's just too expensive for what it is. But you can't beat the atmosphere.
The things we gotta have at Disneyland:
churros
poutine, Gaston's Famous Brew, and the grey stuff at Red Rose Tavern
Dole Whip
Matterhorn Macaroon
Monte Cristo
The things we gotta have at DCA:
more churros
beer or a shake with a turkey dip while enjoying the view of the highway
mac n' cheese cone and a pair of dice or Doc's wild grape tonic from the Cozy Cone
Next time we'll try:
a corndog
Carnation Cafe
a twist from Maurice's Treats
pomme frites
We're hoping we can still get lobster nachos from the Cove Bar

Love posts about food !! Keep 'em coming!!

I'm only there for 3 days though...there def won't be enough time to eat everything I want to!

YEs! Enjoy your meal and the atmosphere.

If you're really not interested in the food, you could just order drinks and dessert. I've seen this discussed before and the general opinion I've seen is that as long as you don't hold up the table for an excessively long time and you tip, there's nothing wrong with not ordering a full meal. Although I will say that I haven't tried this personally and I notice that the desserts are not listed on the menu online, so I can't guarantee that they're available a la carte and how much they cost. I could have sworn I had seen people say they've done this, so I'm surprised I don't see desserts on the menu.
Thes
Desserts are just not good.

If you're going soon, check if your dates will be during the food and wine festival. I believe it starts in a couple of weeks and that could be a game changed food-wise. My partner and I went during the Festival of Holidays (holiday themed food festival basically) and we skipped all our usual favorites so we could try as many festival offerings as possible.

On a normal food day, our one must-do is the sourdough bread bowls in DCA. We usually go in Fall and if they're offering the orange-cream soft serve at DCA that's also a must-do. We also enjoy the pommes frites at Cafe Orleans, though that requires a sit-down meal. I usually book an ADR for our busiest day for a late lunch, and we pair the pommes frites with a side of soup and enjoy the break. Although if you're willing to have a sit-down meal and you really want to indulge your foodie side, Napa Rose would be a good choice.
Do they have special kiosks with food and wine like they do ar WDW?

I've never been to WDW so I don't know how they compare, but yes, they have little booths set up with different themes, most selling about 4 small food items and a couple of drinks. The menus should be coming out soon, based on speculation I've seen in another thread.

Yes, they do, it's just not as many. DCA has three of these festivals every year. Right now it's the Chinese New Year festival with about 4-5 booths. In the spring is the Food & Wine festival with about 13-15 booths, and in the winter it's the Festival of Holidays with about 12 booths. In addition, during the Food and Wine festival, there is a beer garden set up with local brews from various California breweries.

You can experience the "atmosphere" of Blue Bayou by riding Pirates of the Caribbean. The atmosphere is basically "so dark you need a flashlight to see your food and so cramped you can reach out and eat off your neighbor's plate."

You can experience the "atmosphere" of Blue Bayou by riding Pirates of the Caribbean. The atmosphere is basically "so dark you need a flashlight to see your food and so
cramped you can reach out and eat off your neighbor's plate."

Too funny and so true. Agreed. :)

I have heaps of food pics but dont know how to upload them here
French Market - Corn Chowder Sourdough bread bowl $10.99
French Market chicken - $14.49 - Southern style 1/2 oven roasted chicken, mashed potato & vegies
Shrimp Po Boy $13.99 - Battered shrimp, lettuce, tomato , citrus caper mayonaise served in a bread roll & fries
Flos Cafe - Nealry everything there lol
Holly Jolly Bakery - grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup
Red Rocketts Pizza port - Chicker Fusilli $ 10.99 - pasta topped with grilled chicken, parmesan pesto cream sauce with sundried tomato & freshly grated parmesan cheese

Another vote for Monte Cristo and Pommes Frites at Cafe Orleans!

Also, nachos with carnitas at White Water snacks is incredible!

For breakfast, we tried the croissant sandwich at Jolly Holiday and it was super yum.

Attachments

• C357AB16-958C-46D5-979A-26CB335735CD.jpeg
    C357AB16-958C-46D5-979A-26CB335735CD.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 19
  • B429D712-FFE2-4CDE-ABC1-35856CABA6F0.jpeg
    B429D712-FFE2-4CDE-ABC1-35856CABA6F0.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 19

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter