What to do with some excess points?

glamdring269

DIS Veteran
(For reference: Oct UY, Wilderness Lodge)

I screwed up in terms of not ensuring that I knew with 100% certainty what we wanted to do in our most recent trip before booking. After initial booking we changed our plans a bit and ultimately I ended up borrowing more points than I needed so was forced to use those in 2017 and bank some 2017 points into 2018.

Now I'm left with the following 2018 points:

2017 banked: 24
2018 regular: 3
2019 regular: 75

Obviously I can bank the 3 but we're not planning to return to WDW until Oct 2019, which will be apprx 1 week too late to use the 24, so I've definitely got a problem there. I'm assuming Disney isn't going to cut me a one time break so believe my only real option is to sell them.

Can anyone think of any other options?

Definitely don't mind calling to talk through it with Disney but thought it wouldn't hurt to check here first. Thanks!

You could put an advertisement here to rent out the points. It is enough for one single night at most places. State that, in your add. There are people who just want one night, and would be willing to rent them from you.

I'm pretty new to DVC, but on my welome call they told me I can deposit expiring points into RCI by Jan 15 and they are good for the next 2 years.
That's another option for not losing them.

Just throwing another idea.

Yeah, but then you would feel obligated to try to use those at some RCI resort. I guess it is okay to use them for a night or so, somewhere that you WANT, but I really don't think RCI is worth it, or is a good exchange, for DVC points. Whereas, if you rented them out at $15 a point, that would be approximately $360 that you could then use on your next vacation!

You'd need to be able to make a reservation with those 24 points. You could use the 3 to make 27 points to book a reservation. But other than that, you'll just kiss them good-bye. You can't transfer them since they are already banked.

Are you sure that you can’t reallocate and use the banked and borrowed points, freeing up the current years points to bank into 2019? This obviously would not work if you have already taken your trip :). If that isn’t an option, just rent them, although I am not sure if all the agencies will rent such a small amount of points.

I was wondering about this as well. I have never rented my points, but I think that would be my suggestion for certain amount of points.

But a few years ago, I had 7 banked points that I had to lose because I couldn't use them and it's not a substantial amount to be worth renting.

So, I was wondering if there's a way to donate the points...is that even possible?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts