What to see at Kennedy Space Center in 4-5 hrs

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Hoping for some advice. We booked an excursion on our cruise that includes transportation to KSC and also our ticket. We don't arrive at port until 12pm and so by the time we get there, etc, we'll have about 4-5 hrs. Coming with a 14 year old and a 10 year old.

What attractions should we do and what should we skip? I heard the bus tour is good but it would eat up a lot of time, which is fine if that's part of seeing KSC but I suspect we would waste a lot of time waiting in line to get on the bus. It's March Break so probably will be busy. I believe as well that Saturn V is great but needs a bus to get to (so more time waiting and lost).

With such a short time should we stick to the Atlantis and attractions in that area (e.g. Atlantis building, IMAX theater, Journey to Mars, etc)? Or is the bus tour and that section really the main part? ...Keeping in mind that we coming with kids. My worry is that we will be in the middle of one of the further attractions and then we can't make it back on time to the bus to get back to the port.

Would love some suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
I personally think the bus tour was the meat of it. The Saturn 5 and all the moon landing stuff are there in that building.

Have the kids look at the website or app list of attractions. At a minimum, you need to fully explore the Atlantis Building and do the Bus Tour/Saturn V Building (they’re basically combined). I would include at least one IMAX film, but I think they’re doing renovations there now.

The bus tour is the real deal and the best part. Don't miss it. Much more exciting than it sounds - you see the Saturn Building and learn the history of NASA. May also see some seriously big fat alligators in the ditches along the road. A few osprey and bald eagle nests and possibly sightings too. I wouldn't go and not do the bus tour.

Thanks for the replies. Ok got it. The bus tour is a must. With the tour and Saturn building, not sure we'll have time for much else but we'll hit these and then at it by year.

The buses to the Saturn V building come pretty regularly. We have never had a long wait going or returning-maybe 15 to 20 minutes. I would do that first thing. The bus drops you off right across from the Atlantis building when you return, so I would do that second. That way you won’t be off at the remote building when it is getting close time to return to the ship. It takes 20-30 minutes to drive back to the port (I usually stay at the Homewood right next to the port when I am in the area, and have made the drive to KSC a few times).

From a KSC annual passholder: get on the bus tour as soon as you get there - beeline it. You'll pass everything to get to it, but just head right there. Yes, it will take a chunk of time, probably 2-3 hours (inclusive of travel), but it's absolutely worth seeing, because it takes you out into actual NASA property. How long it will take will depend on your party. (Tip: don't waste time in the gift shop in there, if you end up wanting souvenirs they sell the same ones at Space Shop at the main complex. Not sure if you're a gift shop person, but I've seen many people waste time meandering in the gift shop, and if you're on limited time and want to see what you can - since you paid decent money for tickets - skip the shop.)

When you get back, the bus drops you off outside Atlantis. If you have time, definitely go. Like above, depends on your party, but the bulk of Atlantis can easily be seen in 2 hours. You might not get to read every little placard, but you'll get to see the big stuff for sure.

Personally, I think you’re trying to get too much in with such time limitations. I would just board ship early and save KSC for another trip. You pay the same daily admission to race through it leaving little time to enjoy what you are seeing. We took a 4 night trip to Cocoa Beach in January and spent a 9-4 day at KSC and still didn’t quite get it all in. But, we did see the Falcon rocket launch from the beach at our hotel, that was cool.

The bus tour is the main part of the experience and will last a good couple of hours. It is a great experience that everyone should experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter