What would you do - 2 days at MK (both solo), or 2 days at Epcot (1 solo, 1 w DH)

elfling8

Mouseketeer
Coming Aug 6-13. DH has a conference off site, so I am going to do two solo park days Aug 7&8. We will do three park days (moving to Pop) Aug 10-12 - AK, HS, Epcot in that order. I'm going to do MK on the 8th, trying to decide if I want to do a second day at MK, or a solo day at Epcot. The 9th I will take a break at the off site hotel. The conference hotel is closer to Epcot than MK if that factors in.

I don't know anything about your history of going to parks with family, but I'd suggest going to Epcot solo. I love spending an entire day in World Showcase, browsing in all the shops, spending as much or little as I want to. DH is not a shopper, so this is a great opportunity. MK is something we spend so much time at when we're with our grandchildren, that I don't go there very often when I'm at WDW solo.

Are there things you like to do that are not your husband’s favorites? Restaurants or rides he doesn’t like? Just people watching if he’s go go go? Embrace your differences :)

Tough one. I go to WDW solo a lot but if I had to pick a park to do solo after I've done that park with hubby, it would be either Epcot or HS. HS because of all the shows, hubby wouldn't go to a show even if you handed him free beer and chips. Epcot because of WS, again, hubby doesn't like Epcot at all because all he has are teenage memories of playing in the band there. The one and only trip I got him to take to WDW he didn't even step foot in that park.

Disney history: We went once about 10 years ago as a family when dd was 10 and ds 8. Had an amazing trip in large part from help from this site and planning! About 5 years ago DH and I went when he was at a conference, that time it was at swan and dolphin so there were discounted tickets, ending banquet was at Epcot, he could get half day tickets and meet me in the park in the evening, stuff like that. I did parks pretty much open to close while he was in the conference and he met me in HS for Toy story land (it had just opened) and the last night banquet we had certain rides after close included at Epcot.
This trip, conference is only 3 days instead of 5, and off site (Gaylord Palms). We haven't seen the new Star Wars stuff, so that is top on the list, making sure we have a full day there when we are on property and can do early opening etc. DH's least favorite park is MK, so that's the one I am for sure doing solo. I'm wondering if I'll have enough time to do everything I want being it might be hard to get there super early being off site. We do both love Epcot, but he isn't interested in doing the rides like frozen or remy, so I could get those out of the way if I do Epcot on one of my two solo days. Leaning toward doing Epcot after I just read that they don't do the sorcerers card game anymore at MK - I enjoyed wandering around doing that. Wish we didn't have to make park reservations. They I could just do MK the first day and decide if I wanted to go back to MK or if I was done....
Anyway, thanks for listening to me think out loud!!

Epcot is my favorite park to do solo. I like to watch the shows, and nobody else in my family ever wants to see them. There are also a few rides I like that they don't -- Living With the Land, Spaceship Earth, and Gran Fiesta. I spend a good amount of time in the Seas. I find it to be a relaxing midday break. Then there's the food! So many choices! When I'm with someone else I always seem to be compromising and we go where they want to go. If I'm by myself I can eat anywhere I want.

ETA: By "shows" at Epcot, I meant the short movies in Canada, France, China, and the Land; the various entertainment acts, American Adventure -- basically anything that isn't a ride lol.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter