What would you do?

• Wait and see

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Rebook now

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
I know it’s all guessing at this point but- we have a 10 day trip planned starting May 30th with a Dec use year- borrowed points.
Would you...

1. Wait and see a bit longer. Risking no availability and losing points if Disney is closed through May/June

2. Rebook for later in the year now to be safe but lose out on an awesomely planned trip if they open up in time

I voted wait and see, but I think it depends on when you’d have to reschedule.

If you are thinking Oct/Nov, that’s going to be tough, even now. If Aug/Sept, you have time I think to adjust.

I have May 17th with points expiring July 31st. I’m waiting it out..if I have to, I lose, or I try to upgrade the studio I have in June to a larger unit, even though it’s just two of us going!

I would wait to see what Disney says about their March 31st date. Can you plan another awesome trip for later and not chance losing the points? That might be the less stressful way to go.

I have an early June trip planned. Right now I'm just gonna wait and see. I have a June use year, so I'll have plenty of time to bank to points. Assuming they follow the current announcement of not going into holding status if everything remains closed.

I have a late June trip. Right now I am waiting but book a January backup trip.
Even if we peak in 4 weeks, we still have to come back down. And by flattening the curve we are also going to extend it. IMO May is not looking good.

I hate to be a downer about this, but Shanghai Disney theme park is still not open, and it's been closed for 2 months now. China also had a much more extreme reaction to this. We will have to wait until all but the most contained of outbreaks are gone across the country before theme parks and cruise ships come back. I am honestly worried about a trip in July for myself.
If you can reschedule for October or later, I would do that.

Let us hope this strain of the virus reacts to Summer weather like other strains. We've had a really cool to cold Spring. But we won't know that until the weather actually get more Spring/Summer like. It may not make any difference.

We also have an end of May trip and have thought about switching it but are hoping for the best. I personally do not see the economy shut down much beyond April.

I have a trip planned 5/21.
booked my fastpasses today bittersweet.

This trip is with a friend and her 5 yr old. If Disney is open I am going! My friend might chicken out which would leaveme with Peter Pan and Disney jr playhouse faspasses ... sigh....

these are borrowed points and I would have until next April to use. However if my friend does not come I won’t be able to use the military passes we bought already because she won’t be there to activate.
I pray by May we ok!
Kerri

Thank you all! I ended up moving the reservation to last week of September just now. BUMMED since our 10 day trip turned into a 7 day trip (2 Universal, 5 Disney) instead but, we were able to get a 1 bedroom at Boardwalk instead of a Studio. The kids will have to deal with sharing a bed, or we can pack an air mattress. With everything going on, it seemed like the safest bet. Crazy times. I really appreciate all your support and advice!

hate to be a downer about this, but Shanghai Disney theme park is still not open, and it's been closed for 2 months now. China also had a much more extreme reaction to this.

China only took extreme measures when it was already spreading like wildfire and the truth could no longer be kept secret. They denied the facts and even jailed medical professionals who tried to sound the alarm about the virus. It would be like the U.S. government acknowledging the virus was a problem sometime around May 1.

China only took extreme measures when it was already spreading like wildfire and the truth could no longer be kept secret. They denied the facts and even jailed medical professionals who tried to sound the alarm about the virus. It would be like the U.S. government acknowledging the virus was a problem sometime around May 1.

Do you feel that isn't spreading like wildfire in the US, though? All those people who were partying on the beach last week could be contagious right now, and have flown on public transportation back to towns all over the US. Obviously I am hoping for the best, but don't want to depend on just a hope and wish to get through this.
WDW cannot open until almost all of the US is recovered at a minimum. With so many states not locked down yet, I don't see how this will be over in just a couple of weeks across the country.

Do you feel that isn't spreading like wildfire in the US, though? All those people who were partying on the beach last week could be contagious right now, and have flown on public transportation back to towns all over the US. Obviously I am hoping for the best, but don't want to depend on just a hope and wish to get through this.
WDW cannot open until almost all of the US is recovered at a minimum. With so many states not locked down yet, I don't see how this will be over in just a couple of weeks across the country.
I just posted this on another thread. Starting today the governor of NY is giving patients an anti malaria drug that has so far cured 100% of the patients who have used it. I think that is why Trump is saying things will open soon. Plus, we have weather on our side now.

Thank you all! I ended up moving the reservation to last week of September just now. BUMMED since our 10 day trip turned into a 7 day trip (2 Universal, 5 Disney) instead but, we were able to get a 1 bedroom at Boardwalk instead of a Studio. The kids will have to deal with sharing a bed, or we can pack an air mattress. With everything going on, it seemed like the safest bet. Crazy times. I really appreciate all your support and advice!
You will have a great time in the Boardwalk one bedroom. We did just that last year and the kids had a blast! Great community hall there.

Do you feel that isn't spreading like wildfire in the US, though?
Is it spreading like "wildfire" or are they just testing more people now? Are more of the unknown cases from a few weeks ago known now? I had several employees that were sick for a week in the beginning of March. Both tested negative for flu and strep, but had many of the COVID-19 symptoms. They were sent home from the doctor without a test for COVID. We had no confirmed cases in the State at that time. 2 1/2 weeks later same thing happened and 2 different employees were tested immediately by the Dept. of Health.

I just posted this on another thread. Starting today the governor of NY is giving patients an anti malaria drug that has so far cured 100% of the patients who have used it. I think that is why Trump is saying things will open soon. Plus, we have weather on our side now.
they're starting trials. it's not in wide use, and it's actually very limited availability.

BTW - reporting from NYC - the 2nd person to test positive in NY state was tested around March 2, 3. But he was hospitalized with symptoms around Feb 27. He had no known risk factors - 50-something family man who had been to Miami some 2 weeks before. Because he thought he had the flu (until it got really bad and he had to be intubated) many people in the community, including health care workers, also got sick. Still no one knows when/where/how he got it. But we must assume it was already present and spreading in NY state (he worked in NYC) in mid-February at the latest. We are (mostly) taking it very seriously here, but there are teens and 20-somethings who are still having parties, etc. There are health care workers who are ill here, as well. And you still can't get tested unless you are symptomatic and have had contact with someone who was symptomatic. My DH is a health care worker who saw someone who was asymptomatic who ended up in the hospital 2 days later. DH could not get a test and had to self-quarantine for 2 weeks, taking his temp morning and evening. (He's fine, came out of QT yesterday)

Being in the high risk age group, I cancelled our May trip and rescheduled for the end of July and beginning of August. Since August is my use year, at the moment I will lose 2 points, but if I have to cancel this trip, I will lose a 118 points. Unfortunately, the loss will be from VGF. However, it is better to be safe.

As to peoples' earlier trips, I hope this thing eases up, but I don't foresee it really tapering off for a few months unless the summer heat heat does it in. Looking at the warmer southern hemisphere at the moment, one sees their are very few cases. Cross our fingers.

Actually it hasn’t cured anyone. What the drug combination does is lower the patients viral load. It is also only going to be given to the sickest individuals. And it is just a clinical trial the results of which won’t be known for a few months.
As far as weather goes, it’s summer in Australia where the virus is spreading. Again only time will tell if the virus has a seasonality to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter