What's so great about Aulani?

Totally recommend Corpus Christi Catholic Church in Celebration. I went to the Basilica one trip but this one was much easier to navigate to and from
Thanks. How do you get there? We don't have a car and can't use uber/lyft as we need two car seats.
Ps: Love your dogs, big dachshund fan here as well. 😍

Thanks. How do you get there? We don't have a car and can't use uber/lyft as we need two car seats.
Ps: Love your dogs, big dachshund fan here as well. 😍
I've either had a car or have used Uber/Lyft to get there so I am not sure what other options you would have. Thanks - I actually have 3 now. the pup is a pistol. lol

We are Aulani fans. I own at Aulani and Grand Cal. We go to Aulani every year for 10 days and take our grown kids and grandchildren. The first year we went we only left the resort to go to Costco and Safeway. Now we venture away each trip but mostly just relax. We cook about half the meals but keep it simple and easy. (BBQ steaks baked Potatoes and Costco food) We love Monkey Pod across the street and do eat at the 4 seasons and Marriott for diversity. What makes Aulani different from other Hawaii resorts is the detail everywhere reflecting Hawaiian history and customs. You could probably miss much of it if you hurry through and don't thoughtfully look around and go to some of the nature, art, and culture talks they have. Every bit of Aulani had native Hawaiian input. The shape of the buildings, the fabrics, the art, the stones all reflect on ancient Hawaiians. The bar/lounge is designed around the Hawaiian language. The pools, water slides, kids water play areas and lazy river are very nice. It is much different than other resorts in Hawaii and other Disney resorts. The spirit of the place is different than any another place I have stayed. We go on to another islands before we go home and nothing compares. I have a granddaughter that would rather go to Aulani than the Disney parks. We go to Disneyland once a year and to WDW once a year. The vacation I look forward to the most is Aulani. If you love action packed high activity vacations then the parks are probably more for you. There is a lot to see and do on the island also if you choose.

"What makes Aulani different from other Hawaii resorts is the detail everywhere reflecting Hawaiian history and customs. "

So much this! We were at Aulani for the first time this past December for a work-related trip - I was very much impressed with the respect to the Hawaiian customs and traditions - from the luaus, to even things like the stargazing tour where the guide pointed out Hawaiian constellations. I've been to other luaus in the past, but the one there was one of the best - it was more than just food, drink, and dancing - they discussed some of their stories and there was more depth to the production. The fireside stories with Uncle were another great example - even the scavenger hunt is laced with stories and examples of Hawaiian customs. Our kids had a blast, and just hanging out at a lanai by the water with a fruit platter was exactly what we needed... so now we own a bunch of points at Aulani and already have plans to go back for a long Christmas break.

Take the free art & nature tour offered at Aulani, and you will learn about what makes it so special!

We are DVC owners from Canada and we go to WDW and Aulani every year as it’s our home resort. We love Disney magic at WDW but we love Aulani vibe just as much. Sometimes the running around at WDW just gets too exhausting and an Aulani trip is so relaxing. It does get busy during school breaks but then we go off resort and explore Oahu. We have been to many other beach destinations in Hawaii and around the world and keep coming back to Aulani for the Disney service and the beauty of the island.

If you're looking for an experience that feels like a day at WDW then Aulani isn't for you. In the end, it's still just a resort, not a theme park or a water park.

However, I'm going to go against the grain and say I think Aulani is actually the most DISNEY thing Disney has built in recent years. And what I mean by that is old school Disney imagineering, where it's more about creating a meticulously themed (non-branded), authentic but idealized environment with impeccable service, and not just about a bunch of Disney characters and movie references being thrown in your face at every corner. There are of course subtle character touches (as there should be. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Disney characters and movies!), but it's not over the top. It's more about celebrating the history of Hawaii and the rich culture of its people, and I'd say even falls in line with Walt's belief in 'edutainment' (there are many activities and tours that teach you about Hawaiian culture. Even the BAR teaches you various Hawaiian words). Honestly it feels more "Hawaiian" to me than many parts of Hawaii (Waikiki, I'm looking at you). When we would go out to explore the island for the day, returning to Aulani made me breathe a sigh of relief because it made me feel so relaxed and happy.

I've been there twice now and I've come to the point where I think I'd rather spend DVC points on a stay at Aulani than at a Disney theme park. Then again, I could totally spend the entire week (longer, if I could!) doing nothing but floating around the lazy river and hanging out on the beach, so YMMV. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!