What's the deal with Maya Grill?

cd&kids

DIS Veteran
I have to say since I got hooked on this website nearly two years ago, I probably see the fewest threads and comments about Maya Grill than any other restaurant. (And for that matter, Coronado Springs is one of the fewest-mentioned resorts!)
Does anyone else feel that way? What kind of experiences have you all had there?
Thanks!

You would have probably heard a bit more about Maya Grill when they had their "old" menu. Since they changed to something like an ordinary steakhouse, there is no real reason to dine there--unless you happen to be staying there, of course.

We stayed there a few years ago for 10 days and never ate there. Their menu did not appeal to us and we found it quite expensive. Also they did not do a plated breakfast, only buffet. We are not big breakfast eaters. As for the Pepper Market, not a place I ever make an effort to go to, don't agree with their automatic tipping policy, though we did eat there and found their food adequate. We don't like being hovered over and found that at the pepper market. I think CSR is a beautiful resort and we liked our stay, the room, the pools, the CMs, but did not enjoy the food options.

I agree that you don't see many posts on Maya Grill. We've never been there but are trying it in October as one of our "new" restaurants. I'm looking forward to it.

While we have never stayed at CS we always visit it - they have a nice gift shop compared to the other moderates and we usually eat at the Pepper Market for breakfast - like my dippy eggs. I don't mind a gratuity included since I get to eat with silverware, have my beverage served and sit at a clean non sticky table.

We ate at Maya Grill the night it opened, I wish I could remember when that was! I thought the menu then was creative, and the food and the appetizers were delicious. We ate there again a few years later, and it was still really good. We have not experienced the new menu, but there have been few good things said about it.

Ann:earsgirl:

We ate at Maya Grill last year and had a very good meal and we've eaten at the Pepper Market a couple of times. I've never stayed at Coronado Springs, but I have to say that I like it more and more every time I see it and it's on my list of places I'd like to stay.

My DH proposed at the Maya Grill three years ago. We loved the old menu. But, we haven't been back since they changed to more of a steakhouse menu. There are too many other options that are more interesting.

We agree completely with wdw_dine_junkie. Maya Grill used to be one of our favorites -- exotic and interesting Nuevo Latino, including things I'd only eaten in Peru before going to Maya Grill. We went one night a couple of years ago only to find it had been turned into a "run-of-the-mill" steakhouse. We left without eating and haven't been back since. Too many other fun and interesting places to eat.

We ate there in mid-June. I thought their dinner menu was very strange - Italian/Mexican???. Their breakfast buffet was very good.

We had the breakfast buffet there which was very good. I was disappointed to learn that the menu had changed when we went last summer so we didn't bother with dinner either. Who needs another steakhouse? They should have left it as it was, perfectly in theming with the resort.

If I may add my personal opinion: They seem to be having trouble with the full service restaurant at CBR as well. First no sit down place at all then it changes names/menus twice in a short period of time. Perhaps Disney hasn't yet been able to gauge the likes/dislikes of people staying at the moderates? Many prefer the food courts although I hear Boatwright's is well liked among POR patrons (we'll find out in Oct!) and we enjoyed Bonfamille's when it was open.

I think they did have problems at the Maya when the original menu was in place--almost always near empty when we ate there. Probably too ambitiious a menu at a place like the Maya, which was just a bit too out of the way to attract many who weren't actually staying at that moderate/convention resort.
I believe the new "steakhouse" menu is an attempt to attract more diners, perhaps in the belief that everybody loves a steakhouse. Maybe--maybe not. But a name change would probably help--the Maya Steakhouse, or something like that.

I ate at Maya two years ago in December of '01 - it was wonderful! One of the best meals that we had on that trip (and we were on the Silver Plan, so there were lots of great restaurants tried!). I don't know if that was prior to the steakhouse change referred to here or not. I remember having some sort of seafood skillet appetizer with a green sauce (very Portuguese) and a filet for dinner. My husband had a mixed grill entree (I don't remember the appetizer he had- heck, I'm impressed I remember this much!!!) that included ribs, steak, chicken, and something else - all smoked and all excellent! I think it must have been prior to the change because I don't remember it striking me as a steakhouse. Who knows?

We did have breakfast there and it was by far, hands down, the best breakfast I've had at WDW. The buffett was hot and fresh (except the fruit, that was cold, but still fresh! ;) ) and the prices were very reasonable.

We stayed at CSR for 7 nights on that vacation and fell in love with the place. We were POFQ refugees, and we were not looking forward to being at CSR. I went in being not particularly excited and ended up adoring the resort. I went back for one night this past June and thought it was just as lovely.

Give CSR and its restaurants a try if you are so inclined!

Erin :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter