What's your best advice for Disney World Newbies?

You can't do everything. You just plain can't.

Look at park maps online to familiarize yourself a bit before you go.

Look into the rides to decide which ones are "must do" or "no way." If you have a fearful child, check out youtube videos.

Comfortable shoes are a must. Don't wear brand new shoes, break them in first. Bring more than one pair, so you can switch them out.

Free ice water at QS restaurants or any place that serves fountain soda. Stay hydrated.

Condition your feet by walking a lot in the weeks leading up to your trip.

You can’t see and do it all, but set a few goals for each of the parks. For example, at MK, you might want to see HEA, the Haunted Mansion and Pirates. At AK, it could be the Safari and EE.

IOW, choose a few things that really appeal to you and make them your goals.

Definitely start a walking regimen before you go. Kids, too.

If you overplan, filling up every minute of the day, and overstress trying to get it all done, you and yours might be miserable on your super expensive vacation.

Plan the breaks BEFORE you get tired.

Bring non crappy snacks. You'll see plenty of the sugar crash kids. Try to avoid yours being one of them.

Your kids might have just as much fun playing with you in the pool as they have in the parks.

Explain the difference of those who can book fastpasses 60 days out from those who can only do 30 days out. Importance of tweaking fastpass reservations for better choices and times. We are always able to improve our schedule that way.

Same for table service restaurants. This was shocking to me that you needed to book the more popular places 180 days out. Explain the restaurants try to help with special considerations to those with food allergies if they ask for the help like a peanut allergy.

Make sure everyone realizes you can book more fastpasses after the first three are done.

Alternate shows and rides. This provides a rest.

Explain Disney Magical Express for those staying onsite.

Also, explain extra magic hours for those who have the privilege.

The average trek is 6 miles a day of walking. You need to keep backtracking at a minimum.

Introduce everyone to various Disney related websites that can provide good information. Rides can be previewed on u-tube. You can order the Disney Vacation DVD for free.

Take into consideration for special needs. Where to rent wheelchairs and scooters, for example. There's extra super duper cleaning of Disney resort rooms for those with severe allergies.

I would probably mention FP+ and perhaps sunscreen (though that's not really WDW specific), but I wouldn't go into rope drop, etc...those are things that may or may not be helpful or useful for a newbie. For example, we never rope drop, we think it's a waste of sleep. Nor would I go into detail about planning. We don't plan much for our WDW trips, and even when we were rookies, we didn't. It's not our style. So if I were a newbie, and was told I need to get up at 6am and plan every day, it would scare me off.

I'd do some very high level basics. Talk about how big it is and build around that. For example, there's no way you can see and do it all in a one week trip if you've never been before. I'd talk a little about crowd management and set expectations (it's nearly always crowded). I'd talk about having the right attitude. Those kinds of things.

I 100% agree with this, I think I would decide not to go to WDW if I heard all the things people do with the spreadsheets and planning their days down to when they take their breaks and making ADRs so far in advance. While some people enjoy the planning or are convinced they aren't going to have a good time unless they do, it's not true for everyone. I would not say this is a must do and that is a must do, everyone needs to decide on their own must dos and skips. Go simple and basic. It is entirely possible to get an ADR on the day of or a week before or a day before. It is entirely possible to have a good vacation if the kids don't stand in line and meet characters or if the parents don't take out a mortgage to pay for character meals. If someone has never been before the sheer size of the place can be intimidating. I think just being there, taking it slow and experiencing it is the best thing a first timer can do. If you are told you must eat at BOG or your vacation is ruined, your vacation is ruined from the get go.

I'd make sure they knew about the benefits of:
  • Staying onsite if within budget
  • Booking FP+ ahead
  • Making ADRs early if they like the sit-down break during the day and have designs on specific experiences (like "eating in the castle!", etc.)
  • Especially if it's a shorter trip, DO NOT try to fit "everything" in -- prioritize
  • Getting to the park early if they want to minimize lines (I don't think most have a sense of just how much more you can get done early IF that works for your family)
But the biggest thing I say to people with young kids, having gone on 22-ish trips with kids ages 15mo - 12yo so far, TAKE BREAKS AND FIT IN NAPS if at all humanly possible, and everyone will be much happier for it! :)

I don't get into more details unless people ask for more after this. :thumbsup2

Plan what you can but be open to changes. Don't go in there thinking you will do everything see everything, instead go with the flow. Listen to your body, take breaks when needed.

Lather in sunscreen and water. Spf 50 several times a day. Chug water before even leaving for the parks and keep hydrated while at the parks. Bring a filled water bottle and use QS free ice water to refill as needed. Use shops for A/C relief.

For parents, know where the first aid location is at the parks and have a list of medical places you can go to that works with your insurance just in case. Our last trip this became necessary and I am so glad I printed out a list from my insurance company. We had an issue that needed emergency attention and I knew exactly where I could go.

Our rule of thumb for keeping things less stressful is knowing our bodies. We know we need sleep. Days where we did late night for fireworks, we made sure the next morning was a sleep in. And days where we did rope drop or a pre park open breakfast we had an early tuck in at night. This made for happy kids and happy adults!

My number one tip . . .. You can NOT see and do everything in one trip. It doesn't matter how hard you try, you won't succeed, and you will make yourself miserable trying. Slow down, and just enjoy being there. Do what you can do, accept that things will go wrong, there will be delays, and hold ups, and problems. Don't let these things ruin your trip. Go with one intention, to enjoy yourself, and if at any point during your trip you are not enjoying yourself, stop what you are doing, and take a minute to figure out why you are not enjoying yourself, then make appropriate changes.

After 25 years of experience at Disney World I will add this advice to all the good suggestions already listed: bring a pair of good, broken-in walking shoes, bring band-aids just in case of blisters and wear 2 pairs of socks. Some people make it fine with sandals or flip flops but I never could. My feet always thank me at the end of the day for the good support and extra cushioning. Have fun, WDW is such an amazing place but it is very large. Stay calm, don't rush, and enjoy every minute :)

In my day job I'm a librarian and this week I'll be presenting a program for patrons who would like to know how to plan a trip to Disney World. I'm running the program with a co-worker of mine who is equally a big Disney geek as I am.

My question to you all is - what advice would YOU give to someone who has never been to WDW? We both have our own ideas - basic tips on rope drop, sunscreen, booking FP+ in advance, etc. Just curious what you would also recommend newbies know about traveling to WDW?

Thanks!
Mike
My best advice for somebody who has never been to Disneyworld would be don't go! Prices on food, tickets, lodging, etc, are continually going up. Crowds/lines are increasing every time we go. Quality of food is diminishing. Despite all of these negatives and more, I keep going back. Once you get bit by the Disney bug, there is no cure.:)

Well I knew nothing about WDW before our 1st trip in 2006 then I discovered this page. In 2 weeks of reading about everything on this page I was able to plan a 2 week trip where we ate everywhere we wanted (including CRT) and managed to ride about everything. Send people here make them get an account and just read.

1. I would say do your research!

2. Make your adrs & FPs when they become available, make an itinerary, but still go with the idea that it’s ok if things get bumped & it’s ok to go back and rest.

3. Enjoy the smaller details & moments, like if you’re on your way to a ride but see a character out, stop & enjoy it. The ride will still be there later, the character won’t.

4. Hydrate & eat. Hangry isn’t a good look on anyone

5. Sit whenever you can, take breaks

6. If you see something you like, buy it! You’ll be too tired later to back track to get it.

7. Bring hats, sunscreen (even in winter), ponchos, even a water fan is nice to have. Walk thru the stores when you can on hot days.

8. Don’t try to do everything because you can’t.

9. Relax and soak in the magic!

(1) Make FP+ reservations. ADRs are not as important and food can always be gotten. Rides, OTOH, may have 3-hour wait times.
(2) Wear comfortable shoes and know that you are going to do far more walking than you do at home. It's not unusual to walk 8 or 10 miles/day.
(3) Hat + sunscreen are necessities. Even in the winter months.
(4) Stay on site if possible. It's just easier, especially if you've never been before, particularly because of the bus transportation system. Even if you drive there, you can park your car and never have to use it again.
(5) Walt Disney World has 4 parks: MK, DAK, DHS, and Epcot. "Universal" is not a Disney park. That's something else altogether. A lot of people don't know this. Even people who are right there at WDW.
(6) If you see something you'd like to purchase, get it, because you might not see it in any other store the entire trip. (Yes, this has happened to me!)

I would let them know that they can bring in their own food and bottled water. Stick to the basics. The average person will be overwhelmed by the amount of time many on here spend planning (or by the sheer number of decisions).

My number rule for first timers - less is (likely) more! If the kids want to swim instead of going to a park, that is okay!

I would also give an overview of each of the four parks and the waterparks. Have fun!

Last edited:
Try to plan a non-park day enjoy your resort do a Non- Park later in the morning Character Breakfast. Agree on your groups 3 must do's for each park after that the rest is as they say is "gravy".

Kae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!