What's your best advice for Disney World Newbies?

To be prepared to be exhausted. I think most of us on the forums are vets who have been to the parks enough times to be okay not doing everything and taking breaks here and there. But I think most newbies try to see as much as they can in one trip, which is totally fine. My only advice is to expect that it will take a toll on you. There's a lot of walking around and standing in line. The Florida sun is also pretty draining. As long as they are prepared to be exhausted, it should be less surprising when it happens and they can even try to prevent it a bit.

Mildly broken in, maybe. NEVER worn out shoes.

I just came from my favorite running shoes store. On the wall was a sign that said, "Proper fitting running shoes never need to be broken in!" Another sign says, "The proper fitting shoes are probably going to be the ugliest. Don't buy running shoes for the looks, buy them for the way they fit!"

Blisters = bad fitting shoes.

WDW= lots of walking.

I earlier said two pairs of quality shoes for everyone, but I forgot the very important advice to ALTERNATE between those two pairs of shoes! In truth, it a pain to pack, but sometimes I even bring three pairs of shoes for longer trips. Well worth the packing space.

One of the best things I ever discovered was a runner's shoe store, not big box, not the mall sneaker store- the place where actual runners shop for shoes! A good advisor/sales rep examines the way you walk before they pull out any shoes for you. They'll also advise the proper size for you; not ask you what size you want.

Moleskin is inexpensive and very helpful for blisters. Inexpensive gel soles/heel pads can also be helpful (Payless Shoes for cheap ones)I rarely need it, but, well....sore feet= no rides. Cheap, and well worth a few $.

pair 1- sneakers
pair 2- quality, water tolerant sandals, ideally with adjustable straps- your feet swell over the day. This is why sneakers are also good. I personally prefer black, because they double as slightly dressier for ADR's. (My current favorites are Ecco brand- with multiple adjustable straps. Keens/Teva are also great and less $.)
Pair 3- comfy slip-ons just for the room, OR water park water shoes

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote. I would also guess that the vast majority of Disney guests aren’t going to go get custom shoes before they go, so they better bring footwear that they know they can put some miles on. I’ve never had a blister at WDW but my FIL has because he just had to bring a brand new pair of Nike’s. He made the same mistake the next year despite our warnings. Was very frustrating because he slowed us down with his feet.

I love my sandles,... all I’ve ever worn at WDW. Hiking style with the strap over the toes and around the back and front of my ankle. My wife loves her Keens. Both were broken in before our trips.

Yeah, feet can be a huge issue at WDW. If you aren’t active to begin with it makes it even worse. As a runner that’s not a problem for me, but after 8-10 miles a day walking and all that standing my feet are tired at the end of each day too.

Dan

Everyone had good advice but what I tell people is to try and plan a trip with friends/family that are WDW veterans or at least talk to the diehard Disney freaks in your life for sound advise. Also don’t be afraid to split your group up if people want to do different things. We have all ages of kids and we split up so everyone can do the things they like

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote.

Dan
Just to clarify, I didn't say custom footwear. I said a running store where the sales staff offers personalized fittings, plus a $5 pair of gel insoles from Payless. (not custom insoles)

As it happens....I've been shopping at the same running store for many years, and the staff always asks about how customers plan to use their new shoes. (casual running, marathons, walking, etc.)

I don't intentionally pry, but my ears always perk up when I hear someone say "Disney!"

It happens every time I shop there, more or less! It makes me chuckle, because at least half their customers appear to be serious runners, but they also cater to a steady stream of WDW visitors.

Though I should maybe add, I have friends with medical foot problems, and they happily buy expensive shoes to keep their mobility. I know I want to keep my mobility as long as possible! I'd buy them too if a doctor told me I needed them.

1) Use a Travel Agent, their services are free and they are there to help.
2) Read up on the boards and blogs, and books, but try not to get overwhelmed.
3) Don't try to plan the "perfect" trip, allow some wiggle room in the plan
4) Take lots of pictures
5) HAVE FUN!

Great Thread!!! I'd like to stress the fact that Disney World is HUGE! It is like 4 cities connected by buses, monorails, boats and walking paths. Everyone wants the best views, times and experiences so be patient and try to enough the atmosphere.

Everyone had good advice but what I tell people is to try and plan a trip with friends/family that are WDW veterans or at least talk to the diehard Disney freaks in your life for sound advise. Also don’t be afraid to split your group up if people want to do different things. We have all ages of kids and we split up so everyone can do the things they like

Funny thing is...when I talk to other folks about WDW, they often have VERY strong opinions about the BEST way to approach WDW, but their opinions are often VERY different from ours. In short, we're both right.

I used to joke and say that WDW is kind of like an onion. There are many layers. And these days, WDW adds more layers every day!

For a first trip, you really don't need to pay for all the add-ons.

Indeed, think I would be sure to warn first timers that WDW has LOTS of hidden fees, and some of the world's best marketers.

Don't expect kids (or adults) to be immune to the marketing. I also wouldn't be super mean about keeping kids to a strict budget either. Too often I hear parents nitpicking their kids about how they only have exactly X dollars to spend, and not a nickel more. We've always advised, "We're here to see and experience, not buy" but if the kids in our family really saw something reasonably small (under $25), and unique that they liked, the adults just bought it. no nagging or nitpicking.

WDW is very customizable. That's a plus and a minus. If you like bell service/room service, WDW has resorts with bell service. If you never use either service, then guests an save $ staying at the lower priced value hotels. If you pay more, you DO get more, but you don't have to pay top $ to have fun, either. You customize to buy the services that appeal to you.

There's isn't one right or wrong way to visit WDW.

The biggest issue I see in the area I live in (Ohio) is that everyone goes into a WDW vacation blindly and expects it to be like Cedar Point. They don’t research and then they come home saying how awful it was because they didn’t take the time to figure out what WDW is all about.

Build plenty of time to do nothing. Don't overplan so much that you miss your vacation. You won't see it all so don't try. Enjoy the quality of what you see and don't try to kill yourself seeing more than you really can enjoy. Notice the flowers. Watch the rabbits.

If you are an adult riding with a child on BTMRR hold on to them! There is usually a good size gap with the lap bar due to the size difference. I have read about and experienced a child sliding down off of the seat due to the gap.

Other have said this as well, but don't try to see everything. I've been 45+ times since I was 5 years old and there are still new things to see every time we go. Disney will still be there for years to come.... don't think you have to get it all in on one trip.

~D

I made a planning guide for a friend recently - these were the basic points:

• Get a My Disney Experience Account (MDX) and download app
• Link reservation and tickets to MDX
o If you don’t have them, buy tickets– decide park hopper or not​
• Decide on which park for which day (use crowd calendars)
• Make dining reservations (180 days in advance)
o Can see menus online​
• Make FastPass+ selections (60 days for onsite) – need tickets to do this
• Read up on Disney Transportation
• Eat a rice crispy treat for me!

I think comfortable shoes is key, maybe a few pairs incase one get soaked on splash mountain. LOL. Also, taking breaks is okay, there is so much to see if you just stop and take it all it in.

I haven’t read replies but my 3 pieces of advice I give to everyone: 1- Start walking now to build up for the 8-12 Miles you might walk. 2- Practice standing in line. 3- Practice handing out $100’s like $20’s.

Like posters above recommended, I would spend some time on the My Disney Experience app. I was amazed at how many people did not seem to know anything about that-specifically the fast passes, but also maps (bathrooms!), wait times, dining reservations, and mobile ordering.

I would also recommend that people check the weather forecast-with the understanding that it can change. I think people assume, "It's Florida, it will be perfect weather." We were there last week. I know in weeks prior, it was quite hot-in the 90s. But last week had daily lows that were in the 40s and highs in the 70s. I saw so many, well women mostly, but guys and kids too, that were shivering in their tank tops and shorts at 8am when it was 43 degrees. And while we saw only one morning with rain, I understand it generally rains pretty frequently there and should be planned for.

Stay at a resort so you can have Magic Hours. I remember going to other parks, Animal Kingdom, Epcot or Hollywood studios during the morning. At the end of the day we would go to Magic Kingdom during magic hours and get a lot of rides in.

If you go to Magic Kingdom in the morning, go when they open. Go on the least popular rides first while waiting to use fast pass times.

Buy Disney Gift Cards from Target using a Target red card and get 5% off. We paid our entire Disney Trip using gift cards and save several hundreds of dollars.

My best advise would be that there is a sweet spot with planning. If you plan just enough, you can get a lot done in the morning and then have the rest of the day to be spontaneous. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

The biggest issue I see with people planning vacations from afar is that they don't treat their vacation to Disney as an investment. Not planning your trip means you are basically throwing away the money that you spend. Things you MUST do when going to Disney:

-Make dining reservations
-Book Fastpasses (which you should do a little research for, regarding which attractions are worth a fastpass. There is no sense in wasting a fastpass on a show or less popular attraction. You can usually get right on those)
-Plan your days out. Not to the hour or the minute, but give yourself an idea of which park you want to go to and give yourself a general idea of your plans. Don't forget about parades!
-There is no way you can do EVERYTHING. Just keep that in mind.
-ENJOY yourself. Go with the Disney flow. Not everything will be perfect, but you will have a good time, regardless.

Keep hydrated, Water is so important in Florida no matter how hot.humid it is. WATER, WATER, WATER.
Watch for FP+, last minute FP are my speciality. I have a tendency of booking FP within 5-10 mins of the window (Soarin, FOP, ROL, SM, BTTM, ST, etc) Just watch the app, closer to the FP time there will be cancellations.
I always recommend to take a break in the park in the middle of the chaos, watch the crowd, people are funny.
ENJOY DISNEY - make convo with the CMs they are so fun to talk to.
HAVE FUN! You are WDW, enjoy yourselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!