What's your secret running route at Disney, which won't be so secret anymore, lol

dvcterry

DIS Veteran
What are your favorite running routes at Disney, early morning/ late night runs, secret places, goofiest areas, what have you encountered, pics welcome. What is special to you? :cloud9: Since we love to share, it won't be a secret anymore. ;):mic:

What are your favorite running routes at Disney, early morning/ late night runs, secret places, goofiest areas, what have you encountered, pics welcome. What is special to you? :cloud9: Since we love to share, it won't be a secret anymore. ;):mic:
I'd say my favorite is the path that connects Old Key West to Saratoga Springs. When you include the posted running paths around Old Key West and Saratoga - the latter of which includes a nice stretch along the water adjacent to Disney Springs, you get a really nice 5+ mile run.

On the other side of the coin, my least favorite place is Animal Kingdom Lodge which has nowhere to run unless you want to do laps in the parking lot or go back and forth between Jambo and Kidani. It is only about a half mile between them so pretty boring and redundant.

However, last year, I found a secret route at AKL which is just past the recreation area where the tennis courts are. It is a road where I am guessing workers use to get backstage for the animals (check out a satellite image for reference). When you get to the end of the tennis courts, there is a sign that says authorized vehicles only but nothing about no guest access. From Jambo where I was staying, it is about 2.5 miles out and back. So one early morning, I gave it a shot. It was a nice quiet run until on the second loop, a security van saw me and followed me down the path past the tennis courts. The CM stopped me and told me I was not allowed back there. Oh well, I told him I was going to run to the end and circle back out to finish my run and he followed me out in the van. It would make a nice running trail if they ever wanted to convert it especially since that area really needs one.

There is a nice path (about a mile long) from Wilderness Lodge that goes to Fort Wilderness, and you can then run around Fort Wilderness to get some nice quiet miles in. Bring a headlamp though, because that path is not well-lit early in the morning!

I'd say my favorite is the path that connects Old Key West to Saratoga Springs. When you include the posted running paths around Old Key West and Saratoga - the latter of which includes a nice stretch along the water adjacent to Disney Springs, you get a really nice 5+ mile run.

On the other side of the coin, my least favorite place is Animal Kingdom Lodge which has nowhere to run unless you want to do laps in the parking lot or go back and forth between Jambo and Kidani. It is only about a half mile between them so pretty boring and redundant.

However, last year, I found a secret route at AKL which is just past the recreation area where the tennis courts are. It is a road where I am guessing workers use to get backstage for the animals (check out a satellite image for reference). When you get to the end of the tennis courts, there is a sign that says authorized vehicles only but nothing about no guest access. From Jambo where I was staying, it is about 2.5 miles out and back. So one early morning, I gave it a shot. It was a nice quiet run until on the second loop, a security van saw me and followed me down the path past the tennis courts. The CM stopped me and told me I was not allowed back there. Oh well, I told him I was going to run to the end and circle back out to finish my run and he followed me out in the van. It would make a nice running trail if they ever wanted to convert it especially since that area really needs one.
I know exactly where you are referring to, I stayed at AKL in 2017 and found the seclusion of the resort lacking in an area to run other than that parking area between the two buildings. You were more of a rebel than me.

There is a nice path (about a mile long) from Wilderness Lodge that goes to Fort Wilderness, and you can then run around Fort Wilderness to get some nice quiet miles in. Bring a headlamp though, because that path is not well-lit early in the morning!
I do love this one. And Wilderness Lodge for many reasons.

FYI right now you can't run the path from Wilderness Lodge to Ft Wilderness. The construction for Reflections has it shut down. Being that I stay at Ft Wilderness for most of my trips this is a lovely path early in the morning the deer don't even blink when you run by, but for the moment shut down.

I run from Old Key West through Saratoga and end up through disney Springs to the Movie Theatre - nice long run. Hardest part is right there in Saratoga as I run on the road and it can get congested.

I stayed at the Best Western one time on a tour and ran from there through Saratoga Springs - it was an amazing run in mid-March on a cool 50 degree morning. One of my absolute favorites.

I run from Old Key West through Saratoga and end up through disney Springs to the Movie Theatre - nice long run. Hardest part is right there in Saratoga as I run on the road and it can get congested.

I stayed at the Best Western one time on a tour and ran from there through Saratoga Springs - it was an amazing run in mid-March on a cool 50 degree morning. One of my absolute favorites.
This was the route I took this past March and early morning it was a perfect cool temperature. I experienced the congestion of the road. One day I was lucky enough to find an area as the sun was just coming up and it was my first sunrise I saw in Disney. I missed the Disney Princess Half the previous month and really wished I had the opportunity to run early sunrise, that morning was a gift.

I'll add staying at BWV running on the path towards HS and then taking the left-side path before the bridge... you can choose to run to the left which takes you to the front of boardwalk or go right and takes you towards swan&dolphin then onward to BC/YC... if you really need some distance this helps you get there!

I am an early bird and usually go out in the dark morning hours in Disney (as visiting in December). This limits my runs because of safety, but my favourite was running around Old Key West looking at how people have decorated the balconies and windows for Christmas. I saw the path to Saratoga but it was a case of safety in numbers.

I'll add staying at BWV running on the path towards HS and then taking the left-side path before the bridge... you can choose to run to the left which takes you to the front of boardwalk or go right and takes you towards swan&dolphin then onward to BC/YC... if you really need some distance this helps you get there!
Looking forward to this one this summer as we'll be back at BCV. Thank you for sharing.

Anyone have recommendations of running paths when staying at Poly.
When I stayed at Grand Floridian I ran between the GF and Poly, along the lagoon, earlier in the morning it's cooler, less people out along the path.

Thanks! Any idea on the distance?
There really isn't much distance, it's only a mile and it'll get redundant going back and forth. Last time I stayed at GF I didn't venture out as much as I would have liked to get the distance in. I would say try to be as creative and safe as you can between the resorts and there you could probably do well.

There really isn't much distance, it's only a mile and it'll get redundant going back and forth. Last time I stayed at GF I didn't venture out as much as I would have liked to get the distance in. I would say try to be as creative and safe as you can between the resorts and there you could probably do well.
sounds good thank you!

All around Poly, to TTC gate, back to Poly (take a different route), cross the road to Shades of Green and back (pretty easy road crossing), on toward GF, detour by Wedding Pavilion for a quick look see, around GF pool, Narcoosee’s, past the Marina, etc.,and soon, I hope, on to MK via the soon-to-be walking path, then back to Poly, zig-zagging around various buildings. After the 2019 Marathon Weekend, we got about 2 1/2 - 3 mi (without the future path to MK), except we started and ended at SoG. No exactly a long run, but a good shake out run.

Running between Poly and GF is really pleasant and safe even in the early hours (Few other guests up and about, but there are always CMs sweeping the footpaths and raking the sand on the beach).

All around Poly, to TTC gate, back to Poly (take a different route), cross the road to Shades of Green and back (pretty easy road crossing), on toward GF, detour by Wedding Pavilion for a quick look see, around GF pool, Narcoosee’s, past the Marina, etc.,and soon, I hope, on to MK via the soon-to-be walking path, then back to Poly, zig-zagging around various buildings. After the 2019 Marathon Weekend, we got about 2 1/2 - 3 mi (without the future path to MK), except we started and ended at SoG. No exactly a long run, but a good shake out run.
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter