Wheelchairs & Early Morning??

Tminyard

Earning My Ears
Hi!! We are heading for Disneyland & DCA next Wednesday and because of health issues it's better for me to get a wheelchair to help keep my energy up for our 3 days at Disney. Due to chemo treatments I get tired really easy. We went to Knotts berry in Jan and I walked all day and did good but I was in a lot of pain the next day. So...

1. Wheelchair vs scooter? My husband & I have talked about which one is better, he says he doesnt mind pushing me in the chair but of course I feel guilty, but I worry about a scooter and the crowds.
2. Because we are going 3 days we get a early morning which we are doing on Saturday, but does anyone know if you can rent scooters that early? I worry if we go in the hour early and try to get a scooter later they will be gone.

Welcome to the boards!

As someone who uses an ECV (scooter) in the parks now, I highly recommend it. It gives you an element of freedom and independence, and will probably help both you and your husband conserve your energy in the parks. I understand that it isn't for everyone, though, so probably the best way to gauge your comfort level with driving one would be to try it out at Costco, Target, Walmart or your grocery store. Then you can get an idea if you'll be comfortable driving one in a more crowded area before spending money to rent one.

I rent the ECV from offsite companies, so I can use it to and from the hotel. This may be a better option for you whether you go with a wheelchair or ECV, so you'll have it outside of the parks, as well. They tend to be much cheaper than the park rentals, too. Depending on where you're staying, there are many companies in the DL area that provide ECV and wheelchair rentals, so shop around to find the best prices for your stay and most convenient pick up/drop off arrangements.

I admit though that it can be stressful to drive an ECV in the park, especially when people are constantly looking at their phones. I've had people run right into my parked ECV, and people will have a tendency to "quickly cut through" in front of you, not realizing that it can be harder for you to stop than someone walking. This will be true with a wheelchair too though, so your husband will have to be extra vigilant.

Regardless of whether you choose a wheelchair or an ECV, just know that you can park it at anytime and walk around if you feel up to it. I mainly use the ECV for the long treks from land to land, parkhopping, and to and from the hotel. It's parked the rest of the time while I walk around and explore.

Hope this helps! And feel free to visit the Disneyland (California) board to see what else is going on this week at DL and ask any park questions there!

I’m going to move this to the main disABILITIES Forum where it will get more views and responses.

Hi!! We are heading for Disneyland & DCA next Wednesday and because of health issues it's better for me to get a wheelchair to help keep my energy up for our 3 days at Disney. Due to chemo treatments I get tired really easy. We went to Knotts berry in Jan and I walked all day and did good but I was in a lot of pain the next day. So...

1. Wheelchair vs scooter? My husband & I have talked about which one is better, he says he doesnt mind pushing me in the chair but of course I feel guilty, but I worry about a scooter and the crowds.
2. Because we are going 3 days we get a early morning which we are doing on Saturday, but does anyone know if you can rent scooters that early? I worry if we go in the hour early and try to get a scooter later they will be gone.
I second the trying out at stores and I would look at offsite rental. remember at the end of day you can not take a park rental to transportation. park rentals have to be left before you go our the gate.

Without a doubt, look into renting a scooter from an outside source. It will give you the freedom (independence) to do what you would like. Knowing your husband doesn't mind pushing you - it is a LOT of pushing. My opinion, but a scooter will be "easier".

I agree with everyone who recommended a scooter. As long as you drive very defensively in the parks, you'll be fine. Yes, lots of people keep their face in their phones and walk into you. And I've has a few little ones who ran right into me (last time a little girl ran into the side of my ECV). because they're looking the other way. Maybe they just got a glance at Mickey!
DH's only complaint about me having an ECV, is that at the end of the day, when he's pooped and ready to go back to the resort and rest, I'm wanting to keep going!

I recommend a scooter, but I would also recommend renting off site from a company that will bring you a wheelchair and offer a full refund of the difference if you find you are uncomfortable using the scooter. I know Gold Mobility will do this or at least they have in the past, but it is possible other companies will offer such a guarantee as well, but even with Gold Mobility, call to confirm that this is still the case and if you want other rental companies call them to ask.

Welcome to the boards!

As someone who uses an ECV (scooter) in the parks now, I highly recommend it. It gives you an element of freedom and independence, and will probably help both you and your husband conserve your energy in the parks. I understand that it isn't for everyone, though, so probably the best way to gauge your comfort level with driving one would be to try it out at Costco, Target, Walmart or your grocery store. Then you can get an idea if you'll be comfortable driving one in a more crowded area before spending money to rent one.

I agree with all these suggestions. As someone who used a wheelchair last time I went, I always felt bad about having someone push me, especially since my husband (although he claims he doesn't mind) has health issues too. I was trying to decide if a wheelchair or a scooter is what I would do next time. I had never driven a scooter, and wasn't sure if I could, but finally did as Tsumgirl suggested and got over my embarrassment and fear and rode one at Costco when I went to do our shopping. It was so easy! and husband didn't have to push. I will definitely rent a scooter on our next trip. And from an outside rental so I can use it whenever I need. The walk back to the buses, or to the entrance of the parks, and even back to the room can be very long and tiring. All great suggestions! Good luck with your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter