When Disney parks reopen will they be safe enough to visit?

When Disney parks reopen will they be safe enough to visit?

• Yes

Votes: 112 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • Have to review their capacity limits and cleaning guidelines

Votes: 53 21.1%
  • I'm postponing my visit to later in 2020 /2021.

Votes: 47 18.7%

• Total voters
I am not trying to be rude, but I really did want to engage in the actual dialogue of the post, and not be replied to repeatedly to quibble about the minutae of my points usage.

I do want to apologise to you Trader sam-- I didn't read the name, and thought that it was the same person repeatedly responding to my posts.
No worries. And thank you.

Last edited:
As the poll reaches the 100 vote level it appear roughly only half of people we go to Disney when the parks reopen. This also means 23% are unsure if they'd go or not based on crowd size factors or cleaning guidelines.

I'm thinking when Disney reopens the parks they have to really limit the number of guests per park. Maybe starting with 25% volume and slowly ramping up to 50% as everything is monitors and state/federal/local guidelines and rules change. Maybe they will limit the opening size limits to only AP/DVC/Disney resort guests?

As the poll reaches the 100 vote level it appear roughly only half of people we go to Disney when the parks reopen. This also means 23% are unsure if they'd go or not based on crowd size factors or cleaning guidelines.

I'm thinking when Disney reopens the parks they have to really limit the number of guests per park. Maybe starting with 25% volume and slowly ramping up to 50% as everything is monitors and state/federal/local guidelines and rules change. Maybe they will limit the opening size limits to only AP/DVC/Disney resort guests?

I wish, but I doubt it. I’m sure they’ll open back up to the same crowds as before if at all possible.

What I don’t understand is why they are still operating commercial passenger flights. I mean, we can’t go anywhere within a lot of our cities, but we can fly somewhere else for “non-essential” purposes? What sense does that make?!?

If WDW severely limits attendance (hey... we've been asking for them to do this for years to combat the insane crowds!), there will potentially be a lot of unhappy campers who are turned away when parks reach "capacity." Unless you arrive hours before RD, you risk not getting in at all.

It will be nice to have small numbers for those who DO get in, but also expect extremely scaled back ride capacity, etc. So you still may not be able to go from walk-on ride to walk-on ride. If virtual queues are used extensively, it might mean only getting to do a few attractions a day.

I mean, look. The Pope cancelled Easter in Rome. That is how bad Italy was. Catholics cancelling Easter as a data point is huge.

I distrust China's data because it is from China. I distrust the representation of Italy's fatality data because they made express decisions around life support and ventilator use that favored younger patients in hospital settings, which would have an inevitable result of more fatalities among older patients.

Because this is a virus that originated in animals, predicting any given human's response is iffy.

We can support better outcomes by reducing spread.

I have a May trip and we are not canceling it. We feel comfortable that if it reopens it will be safe to visit as I am sure they will have things in place to support safe conditions
I'm in this camp too. Scheduled for Mid May and if they are open, we will go. We would probably cut back some on park time and do more resort time, skip shows where everyone is packed in, follow all the prescribed CDC guidelines, etc

Last edited:
Even if Disney doesnt want to limit crowd sizes they may be forced to by local/State/Fed guidelines. The last thing Disney needs is law suits from sick or dying people from attending crowded parks after they reopen. It may not be their fault but that doesn't mean people will not sue. Somebody on these forums state something about "Disney will only open when and how their lawyers tell them too". I strongly feel this is probably accurate.

At this point I care way more about if/when the schools and businesses will reopen this school year here than what Disney is doing. My kids are missing their friends like crazy. There’s a lot of restlessness here because we aren’t currently being hit as hard as some other areas in the country yet we are totally shut down except for the few allowable things like everywhere else. I don’t wish to speculate why we’re doing better so far, I’m just stating what I’m reading/hearing. I sincerely hope we continue to weather this storm ok here, and things start to open back up without a huge surge in cases. I have a lot of friends and family really hurting economically right now. :( DH’s shifts are being shortened too because of low hospital volumes. We have savings and spend responsibly, but it still stings to have less $$$ coming in when bills are due.

I keep hearing this theory that the hospital system will be overrun with cases.
This is just another exaggeration being spread with little evidence to back it up.

I’m not sure why you would say that. There is a lot of information out there if you are willing to read it. About exponential growth, % of patients that require hospitalization for prolonged periods of time, lack of PPE, not enough beds and ventilators. A lot of our friends are doctors working at hospitals in NYC and here in California and it is not just an exaggeration. What I’m hearing about are lots of discussions about who is going to get treatment because resources are limited, and patients with COVID-19 having to die alone because they are in quarantine. This is directly from people who are working in these environments while risking their own health and their family’s health every day. Yet there are still too many that don’t believe how serious this all is.

Also, social media isn’t all bad. It’s how a lot of doctors are currently sharing information with each other about everything going on. My friends say that it’s been really amazing the way the medical community has been coming together on this and they’re very active in Facebook groups where knowledge sharing is happening.

As for WDW... I’m not sure. We rescheduled our April trip to August but I’m not confident that will happen, especially given how many people are still treating this like the flu or car accidents and ignoring medical experts.

If you do go to Disney when it opens, one thing those concerned could do is stay outside and not go indoors except to your room which you spray down with Lysol. The virus doesn’t do well outside. So walk around but don’t do any inside rides or restaurants.

The virus is like the flu you can have it once and your done. With that said as with the flu the virus can have multiple strings and you can get infected with each string once. On Iceland they found 40 different Covid-19 strings. On string can be more aggressive than the other.

So if you get infected with the most common string(if there is a such)then your are immune.
Definitely, this is why the FDA approved the use of plasma from survivors two days ago. It is one positive thing we have with this virus.

We are booked for a late August trip and hope it will be safe to go. I am keeping an eye on the situation and will make a final decision come the end of July so if I need to cancel and bank my points, I can. Thankfully I only have 2 points that were banked so that is the only loss I will suffer if we don't go in terms of points. We did buy Halloween party tickets so I wonder if they will at least let me use them towards other ticket purchases or give me a refund.

I figure life really isn't safe. Nothing we do that is worthwhile is safe. We have children everyday, which used to be a very unsafe thing. I am also not an idiot and not going to walk down a dark alley in a high crime area waving bills around. So, there's going to be some risk for the reward. Saying that, none of my immediate family is high risk, and we don't visit relatives at risk hardly ever. Knowing the risks of driving a car, I still get in that car every day, without blinking an eye. I have, however, done multiple autoracing schools and high speed driver training. So, I have done some prep, and will do that with the parks or a cruise too.
A few things to keep in mind among the throng of social media noise.

1. As a novel virus we all have the POTENTIAL to catch it.
2. As with most Viruses some people will be naturally immune.
3. Most (>85%) of infections do not require hospitalization or supportive medical care.
4. Most deaths are still occurring in people who have comorbid conditions.l over the age of 75.
5. The deaths from COVID19 are still very much below yearly flu deaths each year.
6. We are vastly under testing people , especially people who have mild symptoms. This skews any mortality rate greatly.
7. 2009 H1n1 killed 500,000 internationally and 58,000 in the US in about 1 and 1/2 years.
8. Yearly flu, particularly 2017, kill many more people than covid has. In 2017, 4000 people a week were dying in the US alone, leading to a death toll of 61,000.....for just the US in 6 months.

The reaction we are having to this virus makes no sense at all given the yearly lack of and panic over the past ten years with much worse epidemics.

You are more likely to die in a long car ride to WDW then from this virus.

Thank you both for entering some ration into this conversation. Wishing you well. :wizard:

I didn't vote because my next trip isn't until late January 2021. I sincerely hope that we as a nation are getting back to normal by that time.

All of my family are following the guidelines set out by the WH. As a general rule my DH and I don't really go out that much so not really a hardship for us. I hate seeing the schools closed but if it keeps them safe then so be it.

There was a study done in 2015 by the NY State task force and the study predicted that in an influenza pandemic as serious as the 1918 Spanish flu would mean a severe shortfall in ventilators of nearly 16,000. This information can be found by doing a Bing or Google search. What this means is that the Governor of NY knew in 2015 he didn't have enough ventilators but it appears he has done nothing over the past five years to correct that shortfall. Also yesterday on Fox News Dr. Mark Segal said that NY doesn't need 30,000 ventilators as the Governor keeps asking for. Dr Segal also feels that there are areas of the country that could be opened back up in the near future, some area like NYC shouldn't but other areas could in a few weeks.

I guess we all have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best. Wishing all of you well.

Last edited:
I didn't vote because my next trip isn't until late January 2021. I sincerely hope that we as a nation are getting back to normal by that time.

All of my family are following the guidelines set out by the WH. As a general rule my DH and I don't really go out that much so not really a hardship for us. I hate seeing the schools closed but if it keeps them safe then so be it.

There was a study done in 2015 by the NY State task force and the study predicted that in an influenza pandemic as serious as the 1918 Spanish flu would mean a severe shortfall in ventilators of nearly 16,000. This information can be found by doing a Bing or Google search. What this means is that the Governor of NY knew in 2015 he didn't have enough ventilators but it appears he has done nothing over the past five years to correct that shortfall. Also yesterday on Fox News Dr. Mark Segal said that NY doesn't need 30,000 ventilators as the Governor keeps asking for. Dr Segal also feels that there are areas of the country that could be opened back up in the near future, some area like NYC shouldn't but other areas could in a few weeks.

I guess we all have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best. Wishing all of you well.

Its interesting because this is not as bad as the 1918 pandemic in most ways, but the way it attacks the lungs is worse than any flu known so far. They might even need more respirators. I also could see certain areas of the country being able to open sooner than others. Population density matters and some states shut stuff down way faster than others. New york was one of the last to shut stuff down and they have the most dense city in the US which is why the outbreak there is so bad.

Everyone needs to stop comparing this to flu. It simply isn't the same. Flu is a human virus that is extremely well-studied, has a shorter incubation period, and has known effective treatments and immunizations. A minority of people require hospitalization (1-2% total), let alone life support; length of admission is often short. It does not overwhelm emergency care services or ICUs. We have bodies of literature that can predict vulnerabilities and co-morbidities.

A coronavirus comes via animals, and thus humans have no native immunity. The standard testing for vaccines cannot be done here, because most animal studies won't work. One of the major research paths is pointing towards a vaccine that we have a very limited capacity to manufacture (because of how it uses RNA). A higher percentage require hospitalization who have COVID-19 (15-20%), and the average stay is twice that of flu hospitalizations.

Per the CDC, in the past decade about 8.3% of the US population get flu; past cycles can confer some immunity. Nobody knows what percentage of the population will eventually contract the coronavirus, but there are some educated guesses. Since this is a new disease and there's no vaccine and no established immunity from past cycles, experts believe everyone is susceptible and credible estimates are 25-50% of population may become infected.

Initial data show that the coronavirus is deadlier. In the U.S., seasonal flu kills 1 in 1000 people (0.1%) who get sick. With understanding that limited testing is an issue, estimates for CV are 10 per 1000 (1%), or 10x that of flu. One factor is the hospitalization required. More in hospital = more dead, because hospital resources become an issue.

It's dubious that warm weather will kill coronavirus, although flu has seasonality. It is not flu season in Singapore, Australia or Southern China, and the CV is doing just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!