When do ya'll think parks be open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was 2 confirmed cases of MERS in the US according to the CDC, as an American, I would say this is much worse.
I can clarify. The mortality rates of SARS/MERS were much worse, around 10% and 37% respectively.

ETA: And because of that the US and the rest of the world took it very seriously right from the start. That's why only 2 cases made it stateside.

I think they will open Memorial Day weekend or mid May to those people who have on site reservations only and I think it will remain that way (onsite guests only) until maybe the end of August.
Sadly, I think that international visitors may have to wait much longer due to travel restrictions.
Then in September it will open to off site guests and locals.
They will extend annual passes for those not able to go to the parks by the number of months they could not enter.

This is my opinion only and I have no official source for my assessment.

grasping at straws ya'll. paper straws

MERS was actually not very contagious. The novel corona virus is much more so, by a factor of 20 or something. I certainly don’t want it...

You have got to be kidding? Can you not see how this is affecting our healthcare system.:mad:
Massive furloughs around the country because they cancelled a ton of procedures in preparation. I know New York is slammed, but the curve may have been too flattened in some areas of the country. They are estimating peak won't hit until June now for Ohio.

MERS and SARS indeed had much worse mortality, but had 2 positives going for them: contagious only during symptoms (that's a BIGGY), plus had such a high rate of severity they were noticed immediately to track cases like they were shipments of plutonium.

Difference here with our current SARS-CoV-2: contagious BEFORE symptoms, too many cases spread before appropriate response was taken. Cats out of the bag. Yes, lower mortality but still major.

Do you think the whole world cares about changing the 2020 election in the US? No.

Leaders worldwide decided to take action once they comprehended the real potential. If this virus was not managed, society would have broken. Numbers like 100-250k dead are the projections WITH the current measures in place to reduce spread. Without any heavy measures taken, you're talking minimum millions stateside, mostly directly but also indirectly. On the way to arriving at those millions, societies will break into mass pandemonium. What do you think would happen to the economy then?

That is the real problem. How contagious the corona is. And how mild the symptoms are for so many people. Or no symptoms at all. So it spreads easily. But then it becomes very lethal for certain people. And there has been no consistent explanation on why. I think the lockdowns will end when there is a solid treatment and testing catches up. I'm expecting overall mortality to be 2x that of a bad flu season when the final data comes in. That would be 140k deaths in the US. The lockdowns will hopefully keep the hospitals from getting too overwhelmed at once and buy time to get treatments figured out even if they are experimental.

Labor day is looking more and more likely.

I want to be wrong!

In anticipation of that possibility, I just rescheduled my mid-September trip to January. Frankly, even if WDW is open, I'm not sure I feel comfortable going in September. Fortunately, though, I have enough points that I was able to book January without canceling September. So, if I do feel comfortable, I'll have an extra trip!
As far as the heat, I'm so hoping that's true-I live in one of the hottest areas in the country, we're already having temperatures reaching 90 degrees some days. 🤞

Current predicted peak for the state of Florida is late May. It doesn't go to zero then- rather that's when it will be the worst near Orlando, and ICU capacity is predicted to be grossly overrun.

Where exactly are you getting late May? I just checked a half dozen reputable sources that put peak in Florida around May 3 or 4.

We planned a trip Jan 2021 before any word of a virus.

I'm hoping to go but also preparing for the possibility of problems again next Winter. Can't we all just 3D print some air filtered spacesuits and get on with life? Then all the diapers will be sold out :(

Florida has to pay their bills, and Disney is their cash cow, but who knows.
BTW - it's 'too' not 'to'

Has anyone ever won one of those contests???? I don't know of anyone.
I might have made a typo. I’m so sorry (or is it “soo”?).

Anyone who thinks Disney is going to open just so Florida can pay their taxes, and risk thousands of lives and spreading this disease across the country (or globe) is not taking this seriously.

New York is incredibly debt because of this virus right now, but does anyone think they’ll just reopen broadway and other tourist traps to make their money back? No, not at the risk of thousands of lives.

This is DEADLY serious. Disney making millions of profits does not matter anymore. Let them raise our ticket prices and our hotel rates next year. Let them release more skywalker movies and bring back iron man just to make more money. Let them throw more IP into the world showcase and add alcohol carts up and down Main Street. Let them charge for fast passes or taking the busses. They should not do it by opening parks in the middle of an epidemic just because they, or Florida, needs more money. I don’t think society, or the employees, or a reasonable government, will let that happen.

Florida has to pay their bills, and Disney is their cash cow, but who knows.
BTW - it's 'too' not 'to'

Has anyone ever won one of those contests???? I don't know of anyone.

My DD won a contest in grade school for the correct number of Swedish fish in the jar. Not jellybeans but close enough and she's the only one I know. :thumbsup2

My guess is June 1st with the rest of FL following suite. There will be strict controls over how many people can enter the parks, how many on transportation, and how many in a restaurant. Pools and water parks will be closed. Then after they figure out how stupid it was to open on June 1st they will close on July 1st probably for the rest of the year. What I think that so many people forget is that the numbers will start to come down because of the measures being take right now. Everybody who has not gotten the virus and recovered can still get it (I should mention that the CDC has nothing on it's website stating that you cannot recover and get it again as it it not known at this time). Jamming a ton of people into a theme park is not a good idea until there is a vaccine or a majority of the people are immune. Think about the child in front of you, feeling fine but contagious. They are touching every single line divider maybe even licking them (we have all seen it). Then you kid touches it and then puts their fingers in their mouths. 2 to 14 days later they have infected their whole family on the trip then grandma and grandpa and so on etc.

BTW it will be the same or worse for the cruise industry.

I would like to mention that I not an optimist.

I'm hoping before Aug 31 when my next trip is planned. Purely selfish here.
Honestly, if things aren't under control, then I'm ok with it still being closed. I just hope we as a world can get a hold on this pandemic soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter