When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was horrified when I heard what Florida is doing. Seems they are choosing economy over lives. They’re heading back to 1st place in virus #s. Sad many people will loose their lives or live with the after affects of Covid.
The easing of restrictions like masks and social distancing is alarming.
Ditto. Good to hear they feel they are ready to move to Phase 3, but no restrictions? That's just plain stupid. Their numbers are going to sky rocket again.

No he is not , hence why I’m angry a visit was never confirmed by someone at the border .
I have rented a cottage and we did one night at a hotel , big when you are paying monthly dvc dues and whatnot , it’s expensive and frusturating to say the least .

is your ex husband a Canadian citizen? If so, they have to let him in.

Why not take a weekend getaway here in Canada? Not sure where you live but you could rent a cottage or go to a small hotel somewhere. How about camping? We are renting a yurt in October for a weekend. It has heat!!!!

Ditto. Good to hear they feel they are ready to move to Phase 3, but no restrictions? That's just plain stupid. Their numbers are going to sky rocket again.

They are just taking a gamble hoping a booming economy will save Trump's re-election. I heard on the radio that Florida is the most important state for any candidate to win. If Trump loses Florida, he has no chance of getting re-elected. So I guess it's unfortunately based on political decision. This is the final round of the poker game. They are going "all in". It's either they will win big (ie, economy returns to normal and everyone is happy to work and spend again) or they will lose big (ie, a lot more Floridian dying from COVID that there is not enough hospital bed). Since the election is Nov 3, one month from now... they are taking a gamble. It's sad because it's the regular peasants that will be affected the most, not the elites.

They are just taking a gamble hoping a booming economy will save Trump's re-election. I heard on the radio that Florida is the most important state for any candidate to win. If Trump loses Florida, he has no chance of getting re-elected. So I guess it's unfortunately based on political decision. This is the final round of the poker game. They are going "all in". It's either they will win big (ie, economy returns to normal and everyone is happy to work and spend again) or they will lose big (ie, a lot more Floridian dying from COVID that there is not enough hospital bed). Since the election is Nov 3, one month from now... they are taking a gamble. It's sad because it's the regular peasants that will be affected the most, not the elites.
But how are things going to return to "normal" when tourism can not be anywhere near normal? Are people from other countries even flying in to the U.S?

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/airline/westjets-ups-covid-coverage-limit-adds-us-offering
WestJet guests travelling to, through or from the United States are now eligible for the airline's enhanced $200,000 CAD COVID-19 travel insurance coverage for air-only and vacation reservations.

The enhanced coverage will retroactively include all bookings made as of September 18th, 2020 and will increase by $100,000 CAD to include up to a maximum of $200,000 CAD at no additional charge to eligible guests.

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/airline/westjets-ups-covid-coverage-limit-adds-us-offering
WestJet guests travelling to, through or from the United States are now eligible for the airline's enhanced $200,000 CAD COVID-19 travel insurance coverage for air-only and vacation reservations.

The enhanced coverage will retroactively include all bookings made as of September 18th, 2020 and will increase by $100,000 CAD to include up to a maximum of $200,000 CAD at no additional charge to eligible guests.
That's still not a lot of money to cover it and for me I still wouldn't be traveling to the US any time soon. After seeing Florida drop all restrictions they couldn't pay me to go there. There is lots of places in Canada to vacation.

This exactly, I have family in Florida and I've already lost 1 family this month.

I'm not sure any amount of travel insurance could convince me to travel to an area where there is a chance I could come home with Covid-19. I've seen too many shows recently where they have been discussing all the long-hauler issues and I don't want to get anywhere near that. There is just too much unknown, still, about this disease to take the chance.

To those who are younger than I am, you have a lot longer to live with the potential side effects of Covid -19 than I do. Staying home safe and sound is the only way to ensure a healthy happy life/retirement.

Today in Ontario alone there was a reported 700 new cases. The majority of these cases are home grown. The number of cases from travel to the states is relatively low. The only reason why I agree with the land border closure is because there is no contact tracing. I don't even think that the 14 day quarantine is necessary for air travel anymore as long as there is proper contact tracing in place such as being required to download the government app.

Due to human rights and privacy issues, contact tracing is not possible. In some countries, visitors are required to install a location-enables app, with daily screening questions to answer. If you turn off your phone or leave it away from you, they will issue stiff penalty. They even have people call and ask, can you look out your window and tell me the colour of the cars parked across the street, to make sure you are really quarantined at home.

It would not be possible to do those here. We cannot even force anyone to install our current COVID app, which is both anonymous and non-GPS based. So how are we going to ask people to register real name with locations to make sure people are home?

Due to human rights and privacy issues, contact tracing is not possible. In some countries, visitors are required to install a location-enables app, with daily screening questions to answer. If you turn off your phone or leave it away from you, they will issue stiff penalty. They even have people call and ask, can you look out your window and tell me the colour of the cars parked across the street, to make sure you are really quarantined at home.

It would not be possible to do those here. We cannot even force anyone to install our current COVID app, which is both anonymous and non-GPS based. So how are we going to ask people to register real name with locations to make sure people are home?
Well they like to treat people like prisoners here and if you leave the country they impose fines if you leave your house withon 14 days. Last I checked only North Korea told people they couldn't leave the country and now if we do we have a 14 day mandatory house arrest. Human rights are being violated daily already.

Well they like to treat people like prisoners here and if you leave the country they impose fines if you leave your house withon 14 days. Last I checked only North Korea told people they couldn't leave the country and now if we do we have a 14 day mandatory house arrest. Human rights are being violated daily already.
And it's been extended til Oct 31 today.

But you can leave the country. You can't drive across the border, but you are welcome to fly to any country that allows it (not all do, but that's their government). As for 14 day quarantine - lots of countries are requiring it. The UK, Ireland, etc require a quarantine for all (or almost all) travellers entering the country. Australia has completely closed its borders to non-citizens and all citizens who have travelled are required to quarantine for 14 days. I'm not sure why you think this is a Canada/North Korea issue only?

But you can leave the country. You can't drive across the border, but you are welcome to fly to any country that allows it (not all do, but that's their government). As for 14 day quarantine - lots of countries are requiring it. The UK, Ireland, etc require a quarantine for all (or almost all) travellers entering the country. Australia has completely closed its borders to non-citizens and all citizens who have travelled are required to quarantine for 14 days. I'm not sure why you think this is a Canada/North Korea issue only?
I honestly do not have an issue with the 14 day quarantine. When we came back from Mexico in mid March we had to self isolate for 14 days. That is just part of travelling. I personally can't afford to take 14 days off after a trip so we won't be going anywhere until I have enough time off saved up and it is safe to travel or the quarantine has been lessened. I would feel horrible if I had of had covid and was infecting others in my work, family community etc.

Sure this sucks that we are having to reduce our contacts, not see family or friends over holidays and special events etc but really if we all do it now then we will be able to spend time with them sooner and hopefully travel again sooner than later.

I was comparing it because as punishment for leaving the country we get 14 days of house arrest. Sure we are still allowed to leave but for how long? What makes you think at this point that we wouldn't end up being told we aren't allowed to leave at all. We were already told we weren't allowed to see our family and friends for months. Things are now going backwards again so who's to say more human rights won't be taken.

I'd rather they take away the right to privacy by forcing people to install the app which would be as simple as including it in a software update.

I was comparing it because as punishment for leaving the country we get 14 days of house arrest. Sure we are still allowed to leave but for how long? What makes you think at this point that we wouldn't end up being told we aren't allowed to leave at all. We were already told we weren't allowed to see our family and friends for months. Things are now going backwards again so who's to say more human rights won't be taken.

I'd rather they take away the right to privacy by forcing people to install the app which would be as simple as including it in a software update.
You would be mistaken. Here is a map of countries and what they allow. https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

I'm really tired of hearing that our human rights are being violated. There is an alternative and that would be to move to where a person feels their human rights aren't being violated, let us all know where this is. I don't personally feel my human rights are being violated. Now, take away my free speech, my food supply, my water supply, I would feel I have lost a human right. Not being able to drive across a boarder.....hardly.

I also do not feel that we are being treated as prisoners, that is totally ridiculous. Canada is a really big place and there are tons of areas to visit. If someone chooses to travel to another country by plane, nothing is stopping them. Yes, you have to do a 14 day quarantine (not house arrest) but that is for my safety as I did not choose to take a chance, the other person did. It's very easy, don't want to do the quarantine don't leave the country.
If we would all just get over the crap of feeling hard done by and follow the set rules this would get over a heck of a lot faster.

You would be mistaken. Here is a map of countries and what they allow. https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

I'm really tired of hearing that our human rights are being violated. There is an alternative and that would be to move to where a person feels their human rights aren't being violated, let us all know where this is. I don't personally feel my human rights are being violated. Now, take away my free speech, my food supply, my water supply, I would feel I have lost a human right. Not being able to drive across a boarder.....hardly.

I also do not feel that we are being treated as prisoners, that is totally ridiculous. Canada is a really big place and there are tons of areas to visit. If someone chooses to travel to another country by plane, nothing is stopping them. Yes, you have to do a 14 day quarantine (not house arrest) but that is for my safety as I did not choose to take a chance, the other person did. It's very easy, don't want to do the quarantine don't leave the country.
If we would all just get over the crap of feeling hard done by and follow the set rules this would get over a heck of a lot faster.
I'm not just talkinh about the 14 day quarantine. From March to the end of June we were not allowed to go see family or friends or even leave the house unless it was essential. I didn't get to spend my mom's last birthday or Mother's day with her because of these rules. They said babysitters and housecleaners were allowed in our homes before our own families. That is oppressive. That is taking away our rights. And do believe it's about to happen again.

I'm not just talkinh about the 14 day quarantine. From March to the end of June we were not allowed to go see family or friends or even leave the house unless it was essential. I didn't get to spend my mom's last birthday or Mother's day with her because of these rules. They said babysitters and housecleaners were allowed in our homes before our own families. That is oppressive. That is taking away our rights. And do believe it's about to happen again.
If you think THAT is taking away your rights then you have a lot of first world problems. We all gave up things so we could all be safe. If/when it happens again it will be because so many could not follow simple rules and it will be to keep everyone safe, especially people like your mother who might be in a higher risk group.
And this is not happening just Canada!

ETA-maybe look up oppression in say Hong Kong. Now that is oppression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts